Help save UK Wooden Boats????

Woodenboatrescue

Visit site
Hello from New England. I am posting here to see if I can elicit some help in saving wooden boats. I started a foundation in the States, The Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation, and it is taking off and saving boats. I would like to find a person or small group of people who might want to take up the group's mission and actions in the UK. Please look at our website and see if you or someone you know has the energy and philanthropic nature to save boats.
The Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation
I (we) do this for absolutely no money and if we get a donation, or a gift it goes to save, move, cover boats. In other words you will do good deeds only and make no money. If you do anything with money, you will most likely spend, but its worth it.

I would need someone to search out and find all the unwanted/abandoned/neglected/etc wooden boats in the UK. They would need to take digital pictures of the boat, survey (simple), and get as thorough a history as possible; this information is then posted on the website with the owners contact information. Of course, anyone can list a boat on his or her own at any time.

Please contact me through e-mail here in the states--- bioelf@mindspring.com

Cheers, Bruce

merkle

Visit site
I am certainly willing to help, I myself am after a wooden boat in the south west Uk that needs restoration, small power boat, from the 1920s to 1960s .. but Where do i start ??..:confused:

Ive helped quite alot a few years ago in the restoration of HMS Gay Archer, the MTB based at Watchet UK ,but not so much in recent years, due to other constraints.

I would like to find a old boat of my own to restore, and money being as tight as it is.. well .. need I say more ??, there must be many a poor forlorn boat abandoned in one of the many uk Boat yards in need of a bit of TLC.

Nothing better than the feeling of giving a old bird a new breath of life in her old bones eh :) ?? any one have any ideas where to start looking ??:)

Ergonomist

Visit site
Having just salvaged a wooden boat from Poole Harbour the word seems to have got around and I have been offered several other unfinished restoration projects in the area! There seem to be plenty of boats crying out for help but very few people prepared to take them on. Perhaps we need a rescue organisation and a Lottery grant!

merkle

Visit site
Having just salvaged a wooden boat from Poole Harbour the word seems to have got around and I have been offered several other unfinished restoration projects in the area! There seem to be plenty of boats crying out for help but very few people prepared to take them on. Perhaps we need a rescue organisation and a Lottery grant!

Well I couldnt agree more,

I tried desperately a few years ago to rescue a 40ft RAF WW2 Boat, a seaplane tender, that was on the river avon, in bristol near netham lock, it still had its number on its side 422. I even left a note on the boat for the owner to contact me, next thing i knew months later, it had disapeared, and I heard rumours it was broken up, such a shame , it needed work ,but was complete, it was of the double diaganal hull type as were alot of ww2 MTB.MGB, service boats.. I allways wondered what had happened to it :(

Ergonamist , Please PM me.. did you have any of interest, ex military, or wooden craft that were old, from say the 1930s to 1960s offered ??
The Americans have "Wooden boat rescue" , I would have thought the Uk could do with a bit of the same, :)

Last edited: