Help !! Garage door

theoldplucker

Visit site
Sorry this is off topic, but I wanted large readership.
How to open a Garador Carlton auto remote electric garage door during power cut ?
Looking at online manual, mentions pulling on a rope on the inside. What about if you are on the outside of garage, no other entrance, consumer unit, which is in the garage tripped out, need to reset.
There is a key for the garage but still not cannot get in. Seems to be held at the top by another latch inside.
Suppliers are likely to be shut for some days over Xmas. The property belongs to an 82 year old lady, on her own. Fortunately there is some power left available in the house as the consumer unit has a split board.

Anyone had this problem ??

Plevier

Visit site
If there is no other entrance door, it should have been fitted with a key released cable set in the door that lets you pull the release cord inside. Looks like an ordinary car door lock set in the door panel on or near the vertical centre line and not far from the top. You turn the key and the thing pops out and you pull it. I assume you haven't got that, you are referring to an ordinary lock handle on the original door mechanism?

Without that you are pushing at the chain/belt or screw drive mechanism, not sure which it is on that model, you won't be able to backdrive it.

I'm sorry but if it doesn't have that release I think you are in for brute force and damage. Maybe you could cut a hole to reach in with something to pull the cord?

Is there a window?

PS Why not cut a hole to reach in then cover with a rivetted patch afterwards and fit the emergency release in it. I have got one spare if I can find it - not needed as I have a second entrance door. Let me know if you want it and I'll look for it!

PPS This http://www.chamberlain-diy.com/doityourself/pdfdocs/114A2141.pdf explains it.

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
just dealt with a similar problem.

The latch is centrally located at the top of the door, and locates into a fixing in the joist above the door.

I found an old wallpaper scraper and inserted it between the latch and fixing, and with a bit of cussin' and swearin' jiggled it free.

Prevention of future similar events ? Leave a window open at the back of the garage, or try various burglarious activities when the power is back on.

EDIT

sorry, non- electric door, just manual version. I've just looked at the Garador site, and can't see anyway to gain entry without waiting for the power to come back on. Perhaps break side window to gain access, rather than damage the door mechanism.

Last edited:

pete

Visit site
Can you backfeed the door motor from inside the house using your available supply ? You could make things worse though, and only attempt this if you know what you are doing.

mainmarine

www.mainmarine.co.uk
Sorry this is off topic, but I wanted large readership.
How to open a Garador Carlton auto remote electric garage door during power cut ?
Looking at online manual, mentions pulling on a rope on the inside. What about if you are on the outside of garage, no other entrance, consumer unit, which is in the garage tripped out, need to reset.
There is a key for the garage but still not cannot get in. Seems to be held at the top by another latch inside.
Suppliers are likely to be shut for some days over Xmas. The property belongs to an 82 year old lady, on her own. Fortunately there is some power left available in the house as the consumer unit has a split board.

Anyone had this problem ??
you could drill a 22mm hole near centre of the door near top, use a hook formed in a straightened out wire coat hanger, with this, hook the rope and pull to open. no experience of this particular door but works on most

savageseadog

Visit site
Not a problem. Obtain another car and drive into the door at at least 20 mph, you will be able to access the garage after that.

boguing

Visit site
My Mum's sounds much as you describe.

The rope you mention disconnects the threaded rod 'nut' from the bracket on the door and frees the door. There is no lock on these doors.

If you can get a stiff wire hook through the gap at the top of the door, you could conceivably fish for it. On Mum's it hangs about two inches from the inside surface of the door, and the mechanism is centrally mounted.

There's a t handle on the bottom of the rope which might not fit through the gap, but thaat doesn't matter.

bikedaft

Visit site
not sure if its the same type of elec garage door as we have, the motor is mounted on garage roof or rail horizontally, and the motor simply pulls the top of the door back.

there is a small rope that hangs down from the attachment between motor and bent bit of metal from top of inside of garage door, pull it one way, and motor is disengaged, so just use door manually. pull it other way to re engage

the only lock is manual from a key on the outside, and is seperate to the elec bit

so you need to have another door to the garage or break a window...

mtb

Visit site
what sort of

A power cut shouldnt trip the motor are you sure the remote has a good battery ?
some doors have enough flex to be levered possibly enough to shift it
What roof has it got ? might be possible to lift so you can get at the pull cord failing that if it has a wooden frame bore through so you can get to cord then repair so burgler proof again. I'd not want to cut through the door
cheers
Mick

boguing

Visit site
Feel like I'm wading through glue when the op hasn't replied, but, hey ho.

mtb.

My Mum's went t/up after a 'power cut'. Suspect that a spike that did no lasting damage might have caused the wobbly.

theoldplucker

Visit site
Correct, consumer unit in garage. Going up tomorrow to see if I can find a rope to hook out. No other door to garage, however, there is a window that I could break as last resort !
Surely Garador are not so stupid as not to provide for a manual overide!

boguing

Visit site
My Mum has had this house for about twenty years.

All that I can say is that something has 'gone wrong' with the doors roughly annually.

Hopelessly under designed in all respects. Repair agents ludicrously 'virtually' ignorant. Mum tells me what's wrong and either tell her what to try or drive up and fix it. They say "well you'll need a new one".

And, yes. The string that unlatches the mech undoes all the security. Presumably to ensure that one can get out in an emergency. So you just need to hook it.

Last edited:

nedmin

Visit site
Had same prob. awhile back.Got a length of flat aluminium (was a length of ally curtain track) bent a hook at one end and pushed it thro. top of door,in the middle. If you fiddle it about a bit you can hook onto release lever,pull about an inch and you should be able to open door. not so easy QED !I made up a better bit once door was open.

daveyw

Visit site
If I remember correctly, the key is used to unlock the key barrel. The barrel then comes out of the door handle, this should be attached to the cord hanging down inside. Give it a tug and it should disengage the mechanism and the door can then be manually lifted open

davidwf

Visit site
Is there accidental damage on her house Insurance? in which case there may be some cover or a helpline you can call to get this sorted.

Short of that I'd break the window, its cheaper to replace than the door which will almost certainly buckle should you force it.