Help. Brundell to Lowestoft

oldgit

Visit site
Chum will be attempting to take a 41 ft flybridge motorboat drawing about 1.4 metres from the Brundell area out to Lowestoft and then down to the Medway.
Hints ,tips and donts most welcome.
Concerns about bridges and depth of water !

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
What's the air draft?
If you can get under the Reedham (around 10 feet above the water on average) and Somerleyton (8' 6") Rail bridges, it should be possible to get out through Lowestoft - both Road bridges are operational but ensure you book 24 hours ahead to get through Mutford Lock.

The Swing bridges should now be opening as the weather is no longer so warm.
Probably best to 'phone the operators directly for the latest updates, the day before leaving.

5imon

Visit site
Im based in Brundall, he will have no issues in general with depths although i try and avoid the new cut and Oulton broad at low springs.
Reedham and Somerleyton swing bridges have had a lot of breakdowns this year but usually fine if its not too hot.

The problem will be Carlton railway swing bridge just after Mutford Lock, it is still waiting for parts last time i checked so your friend will need to see if he can slip under at low water, Broads authority claim there is 15ft at average high water, but i find that hard to believe.
My airdraft is 15ft and plan to give it a go on the next spring low.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Damn sight easier to go out through Yarmouth and avoid the shallows of Outlon broad and the vagaries of the lock and bridges,

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Damn sight easier to go out through Yarmouth and avoid the shallows of Outlon broad and the vagaries of the lock and bridges,

Only if you can get under Great Yarmouth Haven Bridge (2.9m at average HW), which is currently not being opened, according to the Broads Authority's notice to the RYA linked above (but mysteriously not showing on BA's own website) and Norfolk County Council's website. From the information from NCC (who own the bridge) it seems it may not open again until 'later this financial year'.

Public Information Notices - Norfolk County Council

p.s. Easticks28 types faster than me!

Slowboat35

Visit site
Except that the bridge in town (Haven Bridge) is unable to lift due to an electrical fault.
Concerns over ‘immense disruption’ means problem bridge will not be opened for time being
As you and Little Sister have pointed out that was poor advice on my part. My apology. I hadn't realised the Yarmouth situation was quite so dire or so mishandled.

And as mentioned above, not made the least bit clear in the deliberately misleading websites that should be flagging it up as Big News which I suppose is about par for the course for the shameful Broads Authority.

It seems Carlton bridge is again in operation as of a day or so ago so the Oulton route is currently the only one accessing the sea from the Broads.

What an utter shambles!

Last edited:

HelIan

Visit site
Some parts of the Haddiscoe "New Cut" can be a bit shallow, especially near the north end, confluence with the Yare at Reedham. It doesn't cause me a problem with 0.97m draft but at 1.4m I'd be aiming for mid to high tide times. They often decline to open Reedham and Somerleyton swing bridges if the temperature is or is expected to imminently exceed 28*C.

Simi

Visit site
Went through Mutford Lock yesterday 1 and a half hrs before low water went under Carlton rail with plenty to spare our air draft is 5m

Easticks28

Visit site
My wife regularly on spotting one of these is heard to speculate on the size of their 'tackle' . Especially the two who we see on the Bure who clearly could only pass under Acle Bridge on low water springs - and would have no chance of getting under Vauxhall :rolleyes:

oldgit

Visit site
Boat now in Lowestoft waiting for an F1 moderating.
Do you need to call Ch 14 to exit .
Presume just go out and turn right for the Mudway.