Hello All - newbee afloat in the forum :)

G

Hello everyone.....I'm new to the forum and boating! Anyway, I hope this is a friendly place for the novice. Having thought boating up and down the Thames a nice way to spend the summer evenings and weekends - and a way of getting away from the housework - Im in the process of buying my first boat. Its a Weston 670 (22' cabin cruiser with outboard) and i can't wait. Its in Norwich at the moment and I plan on putting it on a trailer and bringing it home in a couple of weeks - another newexperiance.

Time to read some treads and pick up tips asap - kinda learning as I go along :)

G

Voy.com....

....is where the original scuttlebutters now live. I'm not sure that they are any better or worse than those of us that now inhabit this BB.

PS A good opening line for voy.com is "So what's so good about sailing in the East Coast". That line always guarentees a warm welcome! :)

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

incognito

N/A
Visit site
How nice to have you aboard!

FYI - R2R (PBO) tends to be for technical specific questions like 'On my Volvo M3, the head gasket....?'; SB tends to be much more waffly, about just about anything.

Voy (BYM actually) is sort of both, tho' they tend to be very general and not too keen on questions like 'On my Volvo M3, the head gasket....?' or 'Anybody know what a Genoa is?'. Also, rather a lot of 'in' jokes, which may take you about a year to catch up on.

Personally, I read all three, and sometimes (rarely these days) get something (usually amusement, sometimes info).

G

Re: Voy.com....

Many "original" Scuttlebutters (although I am not sure quite what that means) post both here and on the Voy forum. The main difference is that Voy is quite explicitly a "virtual club" - with all that that implies. Many of the people posting there know each other personally, either face to face or through long regular postings on sailing boards and, sometimes, e mail correspondence. In this respect, the forum is like any other club. New members of this virtual club are actively welcomed however, and always receive a response both from the board's owner and other posters. The two boards are different in character and there is no reason why people cannot enjoy both the wider forum that is SB and the club atmosphere of Voy - of which they quickly become a part if they are willing to join in and contribute (once again, as in any club) Its a pity that we always have to think in terms of "better" and "worse" rather than "different."

jamesjermain

Visit site
Welcome to Scuttlebutt. I hope you enjoy the board and get something constructive out of it. In my view it is a nice balance between general discussion and technical information.

It's always good to hear from people just starting boating - I am sure you will enjoy it every bit as much as you think you will.

As the internet wing of Yachting Monthly, members of this board tend to be stick and string people who cruise around the coast and further aflield. I don't want to lose you, and I am certainly not being unfriendly when I suggest that Motor Boat Talk, the internet wing of Motor Boat and Yachting, might contain material more relevant to you sort of boating.

JJ