Heading to Falmouth

Emma Clarke

Visit site
Heading to Falmouth for the month of August and need to know best spots to grab a good beer/food as well as meeting people who might need extra crew during my time there. Much appreciated ☺️

Goldie

Visit site
Heading to Falmouth for the month of August and need to know best spots to grab a good beer/food as well as meeting people who might need extra crew during my time there. Much appreciated ☺

Really excellent food at the Royal Oak pub, Perranwell Station (village just off the Falmouth - Truro road). If you want waterside locations, the Pandora Inn (Restronguet Creek) is very pretty but busy and there are both Castaways and Mylor Cafe at Mylor Yacht Harbour. Mylor Yacht Club welcomes members of other clubs to drink there and offers light lunches - or did pre COVID, but worth checking, but opening hours are currently limited and updated on the website. They’re open Weds - Sun though. In Falmouth itself, ‘Indidog’ (hidden away behind Specsavers) does good food and I can recommend the crab sandwiches at the ‘Lookout‘ (middle of main street, opposite the church) with a choice of inside or outside eating. The Chain Locker on Customs House Quay is traditionally popular with sailors.

For crewing opportunities, it might worth dropping a line to clubs in advance; maybe Mylor Yacht Club and Flushing Sailing Club, and including a brief summary of your experience. Both clubs have active race programmes as do the Royal Cornwall YC.

Falmouth Sailing Week is 5-14 August so multiple races every day. Always plenty going on afloat and ashore; maybe a contact there for crewing opportunities?

I’m away on my boat so can’t offer anything but suggestions I’m afraid.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

Goldie

Visit site
My father has lived in Falmouth for 12 years and, every time i visit, i do my best to eat at The Norway Inn on the road from Truro to Falmouth.

Welcome to the Norway Inn

Richard, if you haven’t already tried it, may I suggest that you try the Royal Oak at Perranwell Station? Coming from Falmouth, turn left at Perranarworthal (just before the Norway Inn) and you’ll find it on your left as you descend into the village. I May be biased as I live on the outskirts of the village, but I always find the food to be excellent.

Emma Clarke

Visit site
Really excellent food at the Royal Oak pub, Perranwell Station (village just off the Falmouth - Truro road). If you want waterside locations, the Pandora Inn (Restronguet Creek) is very pretty but busy and there are both Castaways and Mylor Cafe at Mylor Yacht Harbour. Mylor Yacht Club welcomes members of other clubs to drink there and offers light lunches - or did pre COVID, but worth checking, but opening hours are currently limited and updated on the website. They’re open Weds - Sun though. In Falmouth itself, ‘Indidog’ (hidden away behind Specsavers) does good food and I can recommend the crab sandwiches at the ‘Lookout‘ (middle of main street, opposite the church) with a choice of inside or outside eating. The Chain Locker on Customs House Quay is traditionally popular with sailors.

For crewing opportunities, it might worth dropping a line to clubs in advance; maybe Mylor Yacht Club and Flushing Sailing Club, and including a brief summary of your experience. Both clubs have active race programmes as do the Royal Cornwall YC.

Falmouth Sailing Week is 5-14 August so multiple races every day. Always plenty going on afloat and ashore; maybe a contact there for crewing pportunities?

I’m away on my boat so can’t offer anything but suggestions I’m afraid.
Excellent insight and greatly appreciated. Have dropped a line to the various clubs and most certainly will try the ? sandwich!