Having spent 91 days in France in 2021, what happens next?

NPMR

Visit site
We are being told that we can, next ear onwards, only spend 90 days in the EU in our boat (or second home??).

My question, that I haven't seen answered elsewhere, is: Having failed to leave the EU inside the 90 days allowed, for technical, or safety reasons, for example, or indeed through incompetence, what happens then?

Is it shown yet, what the penalties are?

greeny

Visit site
National visa if you want to stay longer - short stay is an EU scheme, beyond that it's down to the country you're staying in.
Very interested in this new to me system I hadn't heard about before. Do you have any links that I can visit to check it out please?

Forty_Two

Visit site
For France you can apply for a long stay visa (3 mths to 1 year), but it must be done from your home country before you travel as you have to visit tbe Embassy a couple of times & leave your passport. You need to allow a couple of months for this & you need to have bought your return tickets when applying. What i have not yet discovered is whether these visas are single or multiple entry.

You have to show you have the means to support yourself, have suitable medical cover & where you will stay.

Long-stay visa | France-Visas.gouv.fr

As i understand it this does not count towards your 90/180 allowance.

Obviously being in France over 182 days has it's own implications.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
We are being told that we can, next ear onwards, only spend 90 days in the EU in our boat (or second home??).

My question, that I haven't seen answered elsewhere, is: Having failed to leave the EU inside the 90 days allowed, for technical, or safety reasons, for example, or indeed through incompetence, what happens then?

Is it shown yet, what the penalties are?
Depends on how you get on with the local officials. There could be the snap of search gloves going on, or an "OK, as long as you are gone by Friday night."

You will need to contact the Embassy of whatever country you are visiting for the definitive answer.

A quick Google found this

What are the consequences of overstaying in Schengen Area? - SchengenVisaInfo.com

lustyd

Visit site
Very interested in this new to me system I hadn't heard about before. Do you have any links that I can visit to check it out please?
That’s because we used to have so much freedom. If you search for the country you’re going to and visa info you’ll find what you need. It’s no different to any other country in the world when visiting, because the EU and schengen countries are effectively now all different countries.
it’s worth noting that these rules have nothing to do with Brexit, they’ve been in place for decades. It’s just that “we” voted to be on the outside rather than the inside. When Scotland break up the uk though, that’ll be some new rules ?

syvictoria

Visit site
Are not most of these "long stay visas" essentially temporary residency? If so, won't they most likely bring with them a whole raft of new issues and requirements?

greeny

Visit site
That’s because we used to have so much freedom. If you search for the country you’re going to and visa info you’ll find what you need. It’s no different to any other country in the world when visiting, because the EU and schengen countries are effectively now all different countries.
it’s worth noting that these rules have nothing to do with Brexit, they’ve been in place for decades. It’s just that “we” voted to be on the outside rather than the inside. When Scotland break up the uk though, that’ll be some new rules ?
Ah, so we can just enter the EU and spend 90 days there, then apply for a visa and stay for another 90 or does that visa let you stay forever?

Forty_Two

Visit site
Are not most of these "long stay visas" essentially temporary residency? If so, won't they most likely bring with them a whole raft of new issues and requirements?
I think some are, for Italy it seems the case that its a lead up to residency.

I "think " that if you keep the French one to say 4/5 months & keep the overall under 183 days each year there should be no implications. Whether they are happy to issue a visa every year i don't know. We need someone from a 3rd party country to tell us that.

I just hope we will eventually agree a 180/365 deal with France in a year or so.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Ah, so we can just enter the EU and spend 90 days there, then apply for a visa and stay for another 90 or does that visa let you stay forever?
No you would have to go home & apply to the Embassy in your home country.

Staying for "ever" is residency with all the implications that brings and will be more difficult from 1/1/2021

lustyd

Visit site
It varies by country, the EU 90 day thing is just a convenience for Schengen to make admin easier for holiday trips, but each country has control of its borders.

greeny

Visit site
It varies by country, the EU 90 day thing is just a convenience for Schengen to make admin easier for holiday trips, but each country has control of its borders.
Interesting. I'll investigate this, may be useful for all the people who are taking residencia in countries where they've been led to believe they'll have to leave after 90 days.

greeny

Visit site
No you would have to go home & apply to the Embassy in your home country.

Staying for "ever" is residency with all the implications that brings and will be more difficult from 1/1/2021
Yes I thought that too but apparently its not like that according to Lustyd.