Having a boat built

Bajansailor

Visit site
Tnx for the heads up re Yaba - I had not heard of them before.

Here is a link to their YouTube page -
https://www.youtube.com/c/sailingyaba/videos

And here is a link to their first video, where they mention that they have just bought a massive 70' wooden sailing boat that is sinking......

They seem to be getting at least 100,000 views of each video on average, so I hope that this is enough to buy them stuff like the purpleheart they mention in the video last week -

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Looks like if you want a fairly meaty boat built the yard where Yaba is being rebuilt seems a good place
I enjoyed watching the skilled Brazilian shipwrights, as far removed from any pretense of yachting as one can get, going about their business. Alas, the moronic babble of the utterly clueless owners put me off from watching it any further.

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
I enjoyed watching the skilled Brazilian shipwrights, as far removed from any pretense of yachting as one can get, going about their business. Alas, the moronic babble of the utterly clueless the owners put me off from watching it any further.
Yes a shame could have had all manner of technical comments,names of wood tools etc.The biggest conundrum is why did the boat get so badly attacked

Bajansailor

Visit site
Alas, the moronic babble of the utterly clueless the owners put me off from watching it any further.

Sadly, that is probably a large part of why the series is so popular - many folk love watching videos like this.

There again, if they had somebody who knew what he was talking about, like Tally Ho Leo, they might be getting 5 times the number of hits.

DownWest

Visit site
I enjoyed watching the skilled Brazilian shipwrights, as far removed from any pretense of yachting as one can get, going about their business. Alas, the moronic babble of the utterly clueless the owners put me off from watching it any further.
While waiting for the tide to to go up the Gualdalquivir to Sevilla, we moored up with some fishing boats in Sanlucar de Barremeda. The boat next to us was getting some serious work on the forward sections. Watching the guys do scarf joints with chainsaws was 'informative'!

clyst

Visit site
If you find their babble moronic try watching an episode of "Ship happens " on YouTube. ?

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Yes a shame could have had all manner of technical comments,names of wood tools etc.The biggest conundrum is why did the boat get so badly attacked
As far as I could tell from cursory viewing there is not much left from the original craft.
Watching the guys do scarf joints with chainsaws was 'informative'!
When I stopped over in Tangier a few years age, there was much evidence of wooden craft being built by traditional methods; not much in they way of 1500$ handcrafted wooden planes though, the steel for which had been sourced from a meteor crater and the wood for the finely finished handle from the South side of the cemetery and harvested on an ascendant full moon.