Havengore

pessimist

Visit site
Having cut our teeth on East Coast cruising many moons ago we're hoping to return this summer. I've never been through the Havengore and always wanted to. This time we'll be sailing a cat with a beam of around 16 feet. I can find plenty of data on depths, but no info on beam. Possible or will it be the long way round?

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
As a Medway dinghy sailor who wants to cross to Essex, Havengore ought to be a perfect answer, but I find the restrictions too complicated, I launch at HW and leave the Medway on the ebb so cannot arrive Havengore at HW. Instead I make for the Blackwater every time and invariably turn back for another circuit of Sheppey. I do keep the bridge in mind as a fall back plan, but it is too near to be of interest and too damned inconvenient.
One day the wind will be on the beam all the way and I will wash up on the shore of Mersea Island very surprised.

The bridge looks wide enough but I've not seen a cat go through. You could phone them?
There's another bridge further in,
Ah, .... you're probably more worried about the channel than the bridge? Anyway, bridge keeper might give you a steer, if he's never seen anything so wide you might rethink? ??

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Well about 50+ years ago we used that route a few times in a 34ft x 2.5 draft vessel and grounded when negotiating the bends in the approach channel ; requiring our dinghy and Kedging off, only to see the following Vessel also ground ; we left them to it as the Bridge Keeper was hailing us to 'get a bldy move on' or so it seemed; Guess the width required for your catamaran best be guided by Capt 'Tiller Girl' of East Coast fame (or infame lately having been bugled), From recollection of those days the Bridge Approach Channel is windy and narrow and clear water and width is not availble untill through the Bridge into open waters; then its just the 'Broomway' and them 'Gunners' to contend with;

Guess its easier to leave through the Bridge as one can enter nearer a low water point in the tides and asses the Channel widths as one proceeds with the 'fall back' or retracing ones course ?

So just maybe as a 'fall back' possition enter further North through a River and plan one's exit from inside them Essex Marsh's

Last edited:

MoodySabre

Visit site
I’ve done it once in an Achilles 24 leaving Queenborough so as to arrive an hour before HW so a bit of plugging the tide. You can read all you but it’s a mystery when you get there. The bridge keeper was helpful “ left a bit” type of help. Lovely trip. Ring the bridge and ask them - plenty of width I’m sure.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Ring the bridge and ask them - plenty of width I’m sure.

+1

Do try to do it sometime. It's good fun - a bit of an adventure and an 'achievement'. We had only 0.9m draft but still went aground a bit on the approach from the northern side (echo-sounder was reading 2.5m at the time!) but got off with a few minutes more rise in the tide and a good burst of engine. We also found the bridge-keeper (South-African woman?) very helpful.

There was firing going on very close by as we headed out into the Thames :eek: , and at first we couldn't make out which of the poles ahead were the ones we were supposed to be heading for. She called us on VHF to steer us away from the firing, and a few hundred metres later the layout of the posts ahead became clear to us.

Cobra

Visit site
A "good few years ago" a group of us from Brightlingsea took a Comanche Catamaran through Havengore.
The Comanche, IIRC, has a beam just shy of 14' and we had no issues whatsoever. As Moody Sabre says, the Bridge Keepers are really helpful.

Just make sure you check on any activity from the Ministry of Bangs and Booms first!

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Ahoy there Capt P just mention, just in case you have not yet done it, Google Earth plots the options in Creeks that you can leave the Bridge by thats exiting ther Sea; by choosing one of two creeks /rivers one can miss out that second bridge it appears; best of luck in your Cruise

Gargleblaster

Visit site
The Roach Sailing Association website have a guide to the Havengore: Roach Sailing Association
Search the home page on the right for a link to the Havengore.
At least one member of the RSA has a large cat although he only got it last year and may have not been through the Havengore yet but he probably di with his previous cat a Wharram 26.
As most people have pointed out the Narrow Cuts which is the northerly and preferred approach to teh bridge can be narrow, but I can't remmeber how narrow but my 10 ft beam at the time had no problems.
The bridge is notorious for being out of action at short notice.

Cantata

Visit site
Bridge has had a major refurb recently and now seems pretty reliable (famous last words.)
We go into quite a lot of detail about the various routes in ECP. A fellow member of the RSA helped us hugely last time round when we were doing the fresh research for ECP5.
Here's a pic of the bridge from a while ago which may give the OP some reassurance about its width.
P1010314sm.jpg

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
The Roach Sailing Association website have a guide to the Havengore: Roach Sailing Association
Search the home page on the right for a link to the Havengore.
At least one member of the RSA has a large cat although he only got it last year and may have not been through the Havengore yet but he probably di with his previous cat a Wharram 26.
As most people have pointed out the Narrow Cuts which is the northerly and preferred approach to teh bridge can be narrow, but I can't remmeber how narrow but my 10 ft beam at the time had no problems.
The bridge is notorious for being out of action at short notice.

I have always wondered why the Roach Sailing Association don't mark the channels with withies and produce an
annual chartlet showing where the best water is. Perhaps they are barred from doing so or they have concerns
about action taken against them.

tillergirl

Visit site
Bridge has had a major refurb recently and now seems pretty reliable (famous last words.)

Today's message:

Havengore Bridge: Closed to marine traffic

Due to a fault, Havengore Bridge is closed to marine traffic until further notice. We will issue an update as soon as it becomes available. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Nicki Uden – Community Liaison Officer, SHOEBURYNESS RANGE

Aquaboy

Visit site
I want to try the route one day but as its not a destination really in its own right so not sure how to make it work in practice.
Obviously the reliability is an issue but also the tidal restrictions and there opening times. Us shallow sailors could make much more use of the route if there were no barriers underneath. When the firing range is not in use is it acceptable anchor outside in the creek and wait for the next opening?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I want to try the route one day but as its not a destination really in its own right so not sure how to make it work in practice.
Obviously the reliability is an issue but also the tidal restrictions and there opening times. Us shallow sailors could make much more use of the route if there were no barriers underneath. When the firing range is not in use is it acceptable anchor outside in the creek and wait for the next opening?

Well now that you mention it, me never having done it (but came pretty close one time) I suppose if the Bridge etc is not in the firing range or a target then one might assume its pretty safe to settle or even dry out next to the Bridge to await the incomming tide ? bearing in mind there is the Broomway along that part of the shore line for the Gunners to fire over, guess they are not allowed to actually fire at the Broomway ?

Perhaps were a a Tin Hat though ? {:)#

Other threads that may be of interest