Have you ever wondered

dunedin

Visit site
We don’t carry a dan buoy. Unless sailing with large crew, likely to be a long way away before deployed.

At night (and generally also during day) all crew wearing life jackets with hood, light and MOB1 AIS beacons (plus built in harness to avoid falling off in the first place). Seems better solution, if not cheap.

bikedaft

Visit site
Well, we do carry a dan buoy. As soon as there are waves, v hard to see a casualty in the water. May be easier at night with a light? but thankfully not tested that. Even if the dan buoy is deployed 1-200m from the MOB they would hopefully be able to swim towards it, or at least may be within shouting distance of the boat when she returns to the location

cherod

Visit site
I often wonder why some sort of balloon type object can not be attached to the danbouy staff , self inflating ( like life jacket ) when immersed , big fluorescent / reflective thing ,, maybe get round to making my own one of thses fine days

Stemar

Visit site
I often wonder why some sort of balloon type object can not be attached to the danbouy staff , self inflating ( like life jacket ) when immersed , big fluorescent / reflective thing ,, maybe get round to making my own one of thses fine days
My first thought is that, in enough wind to raise a sea where an ordinary lifejacket or its light would be hard to see, unless the casualty has managed to attach himself, it would be likely to drag the buoy off downwind so it's worse than useless

glynd

Visit site
My first thought is that, in enough wind to raise a sea where an ordinary lifejacket or its light would be hard to see, unless the casualty has managed to attach himself, it would be likely to drag the buoy off downwind so it's worse than useless

They do have sea-anchors attached to reduce the being blown around..

Part of the point is that the dan buoy should drift the same as the casualty - and it being hopefully easier to see the dan buoy, you can search a smaller area...