Haul out for the winter - recommendations please

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Our winter haul out plans have fallen through. Can anyone recommend a yard? We're Bristol based cruising the south coast in a Rival 32 and want to be ready to jump across to Europe next season if new normal returns to anything like old normal.

We're not after anything fancy; a top of tide place will do and we don't need water or leccy although the latter would be useful.

PM me if you don't want the word spread?

Matt

johnalison

Visit site
There is a very wide range of perfectly good places to haul out. Just near me, Titchmarsh, Levington and Shotley are large set-ups, but nearby Bedwells could also do the job if you want a 'yard' rather than a marina, but there are plenty of others at, say, Burnham or Woodbridge for a start.

fredrussell

Visit site
Most of the marinas on the Orwell will be similarly priced I reckon apart from MDL Woolverstone which may well be a bit more. Cheaper places on same river will be Debbages, Webb’s yard or King’s yard. There’s Mistley Marine on the Stour, which I would guess will be cheaper than the Orwell yards mentioned above, but don’t quote me on that. I’ll let others comment on their neck of the woods

Leighb

Visit site
Most of the marinas on the Orwell will be similarly priced I reckon apart from MDL Woolverstone which may well be a bit more. Cheaper places on same river will be Debbages, Webb’s yard or King’s yard. There’s Mistley Marine on the Stour, which I would guess will be cheaper than the Orwell yards mentioned above, but don’t quote me on that. I’ll let others comment on their neck of the woods
King's has a waiting list for laying up spaces and they give priority to their mooring holders, Webb's is probably cheaper, but pretty shambolic, or was anyway, I have not been near it for 6 months or so. My old RHOD is still sitting at the back of their yard propped on two oil drums slowly disintegrating which its very sad. There are lots of apparently abandoned boats in there.

Debennut

Visit site
Robertsons of Woodbridge.
Excellent service, new hard standing, moderately priced, close to transport links, etc. etc

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Someone put me in touch with Faversham in Kent. Not quite east coast I know but easier to get to from Bristol for maintenance etc.

Roll on the Baltic being in the new normal

johnalison

Visit site
Someone put me in touch with Faversham in Kent. Not quite east coast I know but easier to get to from Bristol for maintenance etc.

Roll on the Baltic being in the new normal
Good luck with the Baltic, such a great place for lazy sailors like me. Get up. Have breakfast. Think, where shall we go today? Do we want to sail for twenty five miles or can we be bothered to do fifty? Decisions, decisions.