Has the RNLI has gone mad?

dom

Visit site
Has statement been changed since it was posted?

The Times says that the CEO said

”the RNLI can’t stop people visiting beaches but the government can....”

Is the Times making up quotes or has the RNLI started to row back in the face of an outcry?

Sounds like DC may be advising on blog/letter editing.

bedouin

Visit site
Has statement been changed since it was posted?

The Times says that the CEO said

”the RNLI can’t stop people visiting beaches but the government can....”

Is the Times making up quotes or has the RNLI started to row back in the face of an outcry?
That quotation came from (or at least is identical to) the BBC interview that I heard yesterday evening

Tomaret

Visit site
That quotation came from (or at least is identical to) the BBC interview that I heard yesterday evening
Despite what others say, I think that the RNLI were, initially at least, calling on the government to close the beaches, and I think it’s unacceptable for it to try to have out rights taken away. I fully support the aims and work of the RNLI when it sticks to its last and recognise that a large organisation needs proper, expert management, but it won’t be getting my subscription on 1st July unless the CEO makes a public statement stepping back from yesterday’s message. I’ll pay it to one of the independents, instead.

bedouin

Visit site
Not only that but he is wrong too. The government do not have the power to close the beaches because of lack of lifeguard cover.

Visit site
How many people, died last year in the SW beaches or in the water , please en-lighten us
I don't know about how many "people", but clearly not enough dumbasses.

I think there's several formal logically fallacies in your "people die every day" post but I'll give you a free pass on listing them.

I'd say almost all of the efforts being made are not so much to stop people dying ... "which they do every day" ... but to limit the costs of them, financial and emotional, upon the rest of society, and overloading available services.

Remember, on top of "how many people die every day", additional people are also suffering and dying because they can't get treatment.

Putting yourself in a position where you are threatening your own life is one thing; putting in a position where you are threatening other people's lives who are forced to bail your idiocy out is another.

If I was in the Coastguard/RNLI, I'd just say, "we're going to let them all drown, until there is adequate testing and cure", then see what position the government takes.

Unfortunately, society has to protect the idiots from themselves because it costs it too much to process if it does not. What's the cost of a marine rescue and death ... I'd guess on the basis of the cost of terrestrial accidental deaths and suicides, well over a million pounds.

Who pays for that? What else could it be spent on?

Last edited:

norwester

Visit site
RNLI have bitten off more than they can chew! In days of old it was the Royal Lifesaving Society (RLSS) that provided the training and lifeguards on beaches. Paid for by local authorities/ businesses. Why the RNLI have adopted the responsibility from that perfectly capable organisation is frankly, astonishing.

Bluetack42

Visit site
If I was in the Coastguard/RNLI, I'd just say, "we're going to let them all drown, until there is adequate testing and cure", then see what position the government takes.
What, and you would leave all the smokers in too? And the obese too, on the basis that if they want to risk their own lives why should I risk mine. Sound to me your not cut out to be lifeguard

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Because nobody goes to the beach in Scotland as it is either wet or cold?
That is the impression we like to give, yes. Don't forget the midgies.

efCxTYK.png

Visit site
What, and you would leave all the smokers in too? And the obese too,
One can't contract smoking from giving a mouth to mouth to smoker, as one could contract Covid-19, from being forced to handle a Covid-19 carrier.

Whales are the responsibility of British Divers Marine Life Rescue.

Man, 22, dies in Devon jetski accident
The death follows the RNLI’s call for restricted access to the coast due to safety fears

On Tuesday, the chief executive of the RNLI called on the government to restrict access to the coast. Mark Cowie said the lifting of lockdown restrictions in England had put the charity in an “impossible situation” of choosing between the safety of lifeguards or the public. In an open letter, Mr Cowie said it needed time to prepare for lifeguards to safely return to the beaches. His comments followed the deaths of two people in separate incidents along the Cornish coastline on Monday.

A 17-year-old girl died and two other people were taken to hospital after a rigid inflatable boat capsized in Wadebridge.
Point is, not all people are of equal value. Just as in hospitals, we can't afford to lose experienced doctors and nurses because of plonker's ignorance and selfishness; a sea we can't afford to lose experienced RNLI people.

They are too valuable and take too long and too much to train up.

Tintin

Visit site
So sad today, hearing from a Bude lifeguard of 38 years, describing how RNLI management have badly failed to sort this.

So much frustration. Lifeguards do the job to save lives: to be prevented because of slack managers is abhorrent to them.

SimonFa

Visit site
It's a fact of life that if you have first hand knowledge of a subject and it gets reported in the media, you will recognise the report to be wrong. They know nothing and usually fail to check facts.

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

― Michael Crichton

newtothis

Visit site
It's a fact of life that if you have first hand knowledge of a subject and it gets reported in the media, you will recognise the report to be wrong. They know nothing and usually fail to check facts.

It is a fact of life that if you have first hand knowledge of the media and someone comments about it on the internet, you will recognise the post is wrong. They know nothing and usually fail to check facts.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Point is, not all people are of equal value. Just as in hospitals, we can't afford to lose experienced doctors and nurses because of plonker's ignorance and selfishness; a sea we can't afford to lose experienced RNLI people.

They are too valuable and take too long and too much to train up.
I'm pretty sure that medical staff don't match treatment to their assessment of the patient's usefulness to society. Anyway, what if the drowning person was a consultant surgeon?