Has anyone got any CRE?

Keith 66

Visit site
You will be bloody lucky, CRE is made from pure unobtainium. Last lot i was able to get was from an old boy in Southend who had about 7 big planks of the stuff, he sold me one plank & i chased him for years for the rest but he wouldnt sell. When he died the site was cleared sharpish for development & i heard later it all went on the bonfire. It is spectacular stuff & steams so well it falls into place like spaghetti.
Ash steams as well but rots with extreme rapidity, Oak may do if you can get some good stuff.
Another alternative barely heard of in the uk is False Acacia otherwise know as Black locust, It is said to steam really well & has the advantage of being highly durable. It is a common ornamental tree so may occasionally come on the market through tree surgeons milling timber.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The cream coloured wood here. What you are seeing, from the top, is a bit of the steamed CRE breasthook, the CRE gunwale, the tops of two CRE bent frames with Honduras mahogany filler pieces in way of the breast hook, the inner skin of diagonal 1/16” Honduras, the edge of the cloth between the skins, which is cotton soaked in white lead paint, the outer 3/16” Honduras fore and aft planking and the CRE rubbing strip.20C0E4A8-ACC9-43BF-A96E-F8333F6A84F4.jpeg

burgundyben

Visit site
Which one did you stumble upon? I have a copy of the 14 book if it helps.

I don't know. But I do know who has it and where it is. No idea of the builder or condition. Its highly probable not to habe seen the light of day for many years, perhaps decades.

I'll find out more.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Couldn't you just slap on a bit of Plastic Padding?

Oops, I hadn't realised I'd strayed into the 'Impractical Boat Owners' forum! ;)

I'll get my coat . . .

(well multiple coats, actually, each flatted down . . )

You are looking at 15 coats. Each flatted down. These boats probably represent the zenith of traditional boat building.