Harleyford access to Thames Path

Chill

Visit site
Having the boat lifted out at Harleyford , we moor at Temple so wondered if you can get to the Thames Path for the walk back.

TrueBlue

Visit site
I think no - well not easily - There's a wide ditch and stream to 'navigate'.
However, if you don't mind a stiff walk then ask at the Marina office if you may walkthrough the estate and pick up the access road to Temple Lock.
Do a Google earth to see what I mean. It shows "Harleyford Lane"
I've not done it - hence I don't know if there are any high fences.....

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
I moved my boat from Freebodys to Harleyford for a lift out in mid December, but they told me there was no way to access the path - had to get a minicab.

Very OT: Left Freebodys after 36 years or so, moved Straight Across to the East Coast (Walton on the Naze) by road. We've been on the Thames since the mid 50's with Straight Across so quite a wrench.

Time Out

Visit site
I worked there in the 90s ( I think !) there was a way but it involved quite some walk and a trek across some of the private areas and what was Brian’s Folleys (Sp?) new house if I recall. This was also pre golf course. Actually thinking about it was also pre bridge !! So ignore all of the above ;)

Pump-Out

Visit site

Time Out

Visit site
"Temple Footbridge is a pedestrian only bridge near Hurley, Berkshire across the River Thames in England. It connects the Buckinghamshire and Berkshire banks. It crosses the Thames just above Temple Lock.
The bridge was built in 1989"

You worked there in the 80's then!! ;-)
Or earlier, perhaps :)

Jeez I've had to dig deep into the memory bank! it was deff the 90's as I was at school int he 80's !

So I guess the bridge WAS there, perhaps that's why I recall you could make it to the path if you tried. I also forgot that the extended marina was not there so maybe that also adds to the difficulty in reaching the path.

ianc1200

Visit site
That’s a surprise. A positive decision to cruise other waters or something more negative resulting from Thames issues?
A series of different reasons. Some dissatisfaction with the Thames/overnight moorings/EA being pretty useless, but also a change of scenery, we've moved to Frinton etc.

oldgit

Visit site
While staying in Harleyford last summer we did attempt to get to the foot bridge but a ditch prevented access. We then attempted to get to the eastbound path and lock by following a track which ran parallel to the Harleyford perimeter fence.
It proved impossible unless you were kitted out with waders and steel mesh fence cutting equipment.
We gave up.

Seem to recall a notice in nearbye carpark saying in effect.
Absolute no access to bridge. Do not even bother walking down this path towards the river.
This is for your own protection as oiks /poor people might want to walk across our very expensive grass.

Last edited:

MBK

Visit site
While staying in Harleyford last summer we did attempt to get to the foot bridge but a ditch prevented access. We then attempted to get to the eastbound path and lock by following a track which ran parallel to the Harleyford perimeter fence.
It proved impossible unless you were kitted out with waders and steel mesh fence cutting equipment.
We gave up.

Seem to recall a notice in nearbye carpark saying in effect.
Absolute no access to bridge. Do not even bother walking down this path towards the river.
This is for your own protection as oiks /poor people might want to walk across our very expensive grass.

Again just walk up to the public footpath away from the river

oldgit

Visit site
Still a tiny bit mystified how to gain access to bridge ( and opposite bank) from within the marina, in our case by the slipway, without a long hike ?

Old Crusty

Visit site
Note that there is no vehicular access down the lane to Temple Lock without knowing the gate code. Pedestrian access is fine.

oldgit

Visit site
Looks like something the SAS would organise for their final passing out yomp. 4kms:)
Try that with a push chair, two 6 years olds plus a pensioner or two, sorry forgot, only those comfortable in Spandex and have a Peloton account, boat on the Thames.
The average Thames boater ?
:):):)

Last edited: