Harbour speed limit question??

Stemar

Visit site
How would they measure your SOG from their boat? Far easier to measure STW since they can stop in the water and drift with it.

Which would you like, slow speed or small wash? With a lot of boats you can't have both!
Personally, I'd prefer small wash. If that means they go "too" fast, so be it, as long as they keep a lookout commensurate with their speed.

I appreciate that a mobo with as much windage as a small yacht under full sail, next to nothing in the water and tiny or no rudders is a handful at low speed in any but the lightest of winds. My Catalac is bad enough - twin engines and small rudders is a whole new set of skills to learn!

Slowboat35

Visit site
Hard to see how it can legally be made SOG. No traditional boat can calculate that, and as these rules must almost entirely predate GPS the only reasonably measurable speed is through the water.
Equally how can a sailing boat be exected to maintain a speed limit? That is neither feasable nor, again, detectable by many sailing boats. One surely cannot be done for speeding if the only measurement of speed available to the skipper is 'judgement'.