Hammersmith Update. PDF

MIKI

Visit site
I transited Hammersmith bridge last week from Teddington at 11.30 am and returned 4 days later.
You have to call London VTS 10 minutes before to ask permission and they instruct you to call again on reaching Gun Dock.
These are 2 tugs moored above and below the bridge.
Returning at 20.30 called and got permission again, straight through, the tugs had gone.

oldgit

Visit site
I transited Hammersmith bridge last week from Teddington at 11.30 am and returned 4 days later.
You have to call London VTS 10 minutes before to ask permission and they instruct you to call again on reaching Gun Dock.
These are 2 tugs moored above and below the bridge.
Returning at 20.30 called and got permission again, straight through, the tugs had gone.

Did you pre book or just turn up ?

Chris_d

Visit site
I find the whole thing a bit of a joke what do they do, have a quick look at the Bridge and confirm its not falling down so good to go?
Traffic light would be ok, Bridge up green, bridge falling down red :(

jct1981

Visit site
I find the whole thing a bit of a joke what do they do, have a quick look at the Bridge and confirm its not falling down so good to go?
Traffic light would be ok, Bridge up green, bridge falling down red :(
I also enjoy the passage plan requirement, where you have to demonstrate what you'll do if it's closed. I hope 'turn around' will suffice...!

MIKI

Visit site
Great to hear, and following OG's question, did you have to give a 'essential & necessary' reason for the trip? Just working out summer plans....

Yes, gave a necessary reason and had pre booked both ways. Chris-d I'm with you 100% on your comment, We are truly in a namby pamby world, sadly, it won't be getting any better!

oldgit

Visit site
"Chris-d I'm with you 100% on your comment, We are truly in a namby pamby world, sadly, it won't be getting any better! "

Its all fine and dandy until a bit of junk falls off the bridge onto somebodies boat and chips a bit of gelcoat, or worse.
Suspect those most worried about the encrouchment of the "Namby Pamby World" will be the first on the phone to the Lawyers. ?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I also enjoy the passage plan requirement, where you have to demonstrate what you'll do if it's closed. I hope 'turn around' will suffice...!
I wondered about this. Outward from Teddington would be okay as you could return quite easily but if you were coming inward bound it could be a little awkward. I'm not sure there are any short notice berths available. I suppose there is probably something but not sure what the options would be if passage under bridge were refused.

Perhaps one would need to book something "just in case" and not use it.

Chris_d

Visit site
They have been working on London's bridges forever, I thought they just hung a straw bail under the hazardous bits, if it was a bit more involved there was PLA launch there to call up and advise. The booking thing seems a complete overkill, if its going to be closed at short notice surely we can all work around it without this palaver.

penfold

Visit site
"Chris-d I'm with you 100% on your comment, We are truly in a namby pamby world, sadly, it won't be getting any better! "

Its all fine and dandy until a bit of junk falls off the bridge onto somebodies boat and chips a bit of gelcoat, or worse.
Suspect those most worried about the encrouchment of the "Namby Pamby World" will be the first on the phone to the Lawyers. ?
The problem isn't falling debris per se, it's the bridge ceasing to remain recognisably bridge-shaped and dry side up, rather than in bits below the oggin. Pretty disgraceful given Boris managed to spaff enough money to build a new one(or rebuild the creaky old one) on a bridge that doesn't exist.

st599

Visit site
They have been working on London's bridges forever, I thought they just hung a straw bail under the hazardous bits, if it was a bit more involved there was PLA launch there to call up and advise. The booking thing seems a complete overkill, if its going to be closed at short notice surely we can all work around it without this palaver.

I read that the booking was necessary as they have monitoring devices all over the bridge, and need to correlate any spikes with river traffic.

oldgit

Visit site
I read that the booking was necessary as they have monitoring devices all over the bridge, and need to correlate any spikes with river traffic.

Might be best not to include any actual facts or logic to this forum ....Water Taps anybody. :):):)

penfold

Visit site
Given the cracking problem is in the cast iron pillars which are propping up the suspension cables at either end, river traffic should have exactly no effect on it. This isn't the precautionary principle at work, it's ridiculous handwringing. It's reasonably clear it's being used as a political stick by both metropolitan and national govt to beat each other with in preference to actually fixing the bloody thing.