Hambleden Lock

GGoose17

Visit site
The fence sounds like a good compromise - pity they didn’t do that last year, it would have saved a lot grief all round. I noticed b.t.w. the Lodge is currently being set up at the Upper Thames Rowing Club just up river from Hambleden; private event perhaps?

Time Out

Visit site
I'm actually looking forward to giving it a go, maybe when the Trade Boat Rally is on, the ONLY boat show I pay/want to go to outside of work!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Maybe the EA owned property making up the lock layby is not wide enough for a fence. They might only own the concrete staging with the rest being the landowner (Copas).

It's not implausible in the case of Hambleden lock as there is no other lock associated infrastructure on that side like water point etc. Just a thin strip layby.

Or maybe it is not EA land and just used under an agreement of some sort which allows boats to stop there to wait for the lock.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Maybe the EA owned property making up the lock layby is not wide enough for a fence. They might only own the concrete staging with the rest being the landowner (Copas).

It's not implausible in the case of Hambleden lock as there is no other lock associated infrastructure on that side like water point etc. Just a thin strip layby.

Or maybe it is not EA land and just used under an agreement of some sort which allows boats to stop there to wait for the lock.
Some or all of the issues you describe may be valid but that does not prevent the EA seeking to engage with Lockdown Lodge, Copas and the licensing suthority to agree a working solution. Does the Lodge really need to be sited so close to the lock or are they using the added attraction of the lock to enhance their marketing opportunity? Seems to me that, yet again, commercial advantage is being exploited with no benefit accruing to the waterway or contributing to consequential costs to the EA.
Very easy to just stir it up and give the EA a kicking (and I am not uncritical of their mishandling of this issue) but all parties need to realise they have a contribution to make.
I have written to the EA formally requesting that they take more appropriate steps to protect the boating public and ensure safe use of the upper layby and lock area.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
So now there is an EA employed security man patrolling the upper layby.
I came down earlier today and I suppose he is perhaps used to wondering if people are going to nick beer from the supermarket but he did not seem to really "get" that most people are just out to enjoy boating.

Dictating which bollard I should tie to on the layby was definitely outside of his jurisdiction specially as I always go to the end of the layby.

A worrying development.

Hopefully only temporary.

I'm off to Monaco for a while so it will probably be alright by the time I get back go the lovable Henley OT.

As Simon said at least it is an acknowledgement from the EA that they did something bad previously.

I'm still not convinced by the principle of having a paid security contractor policing lock approaches.
This seems to go towards negative outcomes.

Time Out

Visit site
So now there is an EA employed security man patrolling the upper layby.
I came down earlier today and I suppose he is perhaps used to wondering if people are going to nick beer from the supermarket but he did not seem to really "get" that most people are just out to enjoy boating.

Dictating which bollard I should tie to on the layby was definitely outside of his jurisdiction specially as I always go to the end of the layby.

A worrying development.

Hopefully only temporary.

I'm off to Monaco for a while so it will probably be alright by the time I get back go the lovable Henley OT.

As Simon said at least it is an acknowledgement from the EA that they did something bad previously.

I'm still not convinced by the principle of having a paid security contractor policing lock approaches.
This seems to go towards negative outcomes.

I’ve been following Lockdown Lodge on social for a while now. Seems busy and had decent reviews.

I may give it a go during the Trad Boat Rally as I am NOT going to Monaco for a while ;)

Give my office a wave while your there !

Hope you have a good stash of PCRs ….!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Will do.

As for the lock down lodge they seem quiet. If you do want to stop in the boat there is a little floating pontoon just upstream from end of layby.
And there is a security man on the upper layby. Did I mention the security man?

Its an interesting approach but a little discombobulating.

I think this and the fact one of the Marsh lock summer keepers swearing at me quite badly (he said "I don't [Inappropriate content removed] care what you usually do and you won't be coming back through this lock") a couple of weeks ago may influence my decision to decamp to Monaco on a permanent basis. much as I like Henley.

I found the lack of knowledge around PRN waterways and my boat is registered anyway a bit concerning but it was a hot day and it's Henley.

C'est la vie but that's a first in nearly 30 years of boating on the River and I am the first to admit I am slightly irritating at times.

On the other hand 99.9% of the keepers on my trip to Lechlade and back have been very friendly.

Not a problem.

I Do like the River !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Time Out

Visit site
Will do.

As for the lock down lodge they seem quiet. If you do want to stop in the boat there is a little floating pontoon just upstream from end of layby.
And there is a security man on the upper layby. Did I mention the security man?

Its an interesting approach but a little discombobulating.

I think this and the fact one of the Marsh lock summer keepers swearing at me quite badly (he said "I don't [Inappropriate content removed] care what you usually do and you won't be coming back through this lock") a couple of weeks ago may influence my decision to decamp to Monaco on a permanent basis. much as I like Henley.

I found the lack of knowledge around PRN waterways and my boat is registered anyway a bit concerning but it was a hot day and it's Henley.

C'est la vie but that's a first in nearly 30 years of boating on the River and I am the first to admit I am slightly irritating at times.

On the other hand 99.9% of the keepers on my trip to Lechlade and back have been very friendly.

Not a problem.

I Do like the River !!

Spoke too soon ! May see you out there sooner than I thought ….

See you in the Irish Bar !

Joking aside the river may now be that little bit quieter now France is back to Amber.

Fred drift but great news !

Last edited by a moderator:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Spoke too soon ! May see you out there sooner than I thought ….

See you in the Irish Bar !

Joking aside the river may now be that little bit quieter now France is back to Amber.

Fred drift but great news !

Well I did manage to get past Windsor so the Med awaits.

Which Med that is I'm not sure but my lawyer has suggested the warm and sunny one might be a good plan.

As for the quite River yes it is quiet. Not a lot of boats around at all.

I blame the weather forecasts. They always say it's going to be raining and it does sometimes rain and yes "August is a wet month" but at the end of the day it is nice weather because it is summer.

I do wonder how much this internet phenomenon thing impacts on people's planning when it comes to going out on the boat.

nfluester

www.youtube.com
We've been out for 2 weeks now and it is very quiet which is strange based on all the stories of loads of people buying boats or no 2nd hand boats available as everyone keeping them.

Obviously floating caravans in the marinas and not actually taking them out on the river