Hambleden Lock

Time Out

Visit site
I’m all for new riverside additions but this was labelled as a summer project for someone that was in between school / college/ Uni.

A bit of digging reveals some fairly interesting connection.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
"Popup" a good idea but just needs to be well away from the lock laybay ?
................and well done to the young lady for at least having go.
The Thames Navy can now go back to moaning about EA tap outrages. :)
Whether it’s a good idea or not is a matter of opinion, I find myself questioning the real commercial motivation and viability of such an operation and for such a short period - just three weeks or so this year.
Your reference to “EA tap outrages“ makes light of a real issue on the non tidal Thames which threatens reasonable availability of fresh drinking water access at many EA locks. The full extent of the problem, which arises from the EA being required to comply with water provision legislation, is yet to be recognised as river usage is relatively light at the moment.

Old Crusty

Visit site
If not the lock keeper, whose job is it to police the lay-by pontoon?

It's the duty keeper's job to monitor and regulate the lock and layby areas. The role Is backed up by the Thames Conservancy Acts and the byelaws.

For the duty keeper to be told to ignore the misuse of the layby by his 'manager', as occurred last year, is the failure of the navigation authority officer to carry out his regulatory duty and to support the frontline staff. The EA has lost its plot and one TL needs to grow a pair.

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
It is shame that this enterprise came to such an inglorious conclusion causing considerable ill feeling among all the parties concerned.
Unfortunately Faecesbook ,while it might have some benefits , it seems many disputes invariably appear to descend into the chaos of the mob. Spats more likely to be found in nursery on display .

On a (very)brief exposure to the FB website was appalled to watch over 24 hours , adults that I had much respect for, descend to the level of toddlers over some rather inconsequential matter, the fallout from which lasted for blimming months.
Took a lot longer to erase the "Window on Hell" app from my phone than to install it. :)

"Popup" a good idea but just needs to be well away from the lock laybay ?
................and well done to the young lady for at least having go.
The Thames Navy can now go back to moaning about EA tap outrages. :)

A well respected, long serving lock & weir keeper has been sacked for doing his job and lost his home. Dare I mention the many breaches of river regulations conveniently overlooked by his team leader?

Let's keep perspective and the sense of fair play. This is no laughing matter OG. A man's livelihood has been lost unjustly.

Chris_d

Visit site
The map on the website appears to show the Lodge a bit further upstream The Lockdown Lodge although that might just be a mistake.
Their dates also coincide with Henley Regatta which is in August this year, although likely to have less spectators it will still generate a lot of extra river traffic, the new lock keeper will have to be very good to cope!

Big John

Visit site
The map on the website appears to show the Lodge a bit further upstream The Lockdown Lodge although that might just be a mistake.
Their dates also coincide with Henley Regatta which is in August this year, although likely to have less spectators it will still generate a lot of extra river traffic, the new lock keeper will have to be very good to cope!
We dont know if there will be a new lock keeper yet.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
We dont know if there will be a new lock keeper yet.

If there is, I would suggest a sudden bout of something that keeps him/her off work for the duration might be worth thinking about. They will get grief from the boaters for not keeping the lay-by clear, and grief from management if they try to manage the problem. It's a lose-lose situation and not one I would want to be in the middle of.

Parabordi

Visit site
however it does say
1621859345034.png

Old Crusty

Visit site
If there is, I would suggest a sudden bout of something that keeps him/her off work for the duration might be worth thinking about. They will get grief from the boaters for not keeping the lay-by clear, and grief from management if they try to manage the problem. It's a lose-lose situation and not one I would want to be in the middle of.

The layby needs only a patrol boat moored on it with a couple of grumpy, smiling enforcement officers to advise the miscreants to shove off, and to remove any offending vessels, as they may do.

I would.

Parabordi

Visit site
The layby needs only a patrol boat moored on it with a couple of grumpy, smiling enforcement officers to advise the miscreants to shove off, and to remove any offending vessels, as they may do.

I would.
oh i wish you would, i would join you as a 'Special' if they would let me!!

oldgit

Visit site
A well respected, long serving lock & weir keeper has been sacked for doing his job and lost his home. Dare I mention the many breaches of river regulations conveniently overlooked by his team leader?

Let's keep perspective and the sense of fair play. This is no laughing matter OG. A man's livelihood has been lost unjustly.

Always two sides to story. ?
A very similar story down here at Allington lock not that long ago, when a long term very proficient senior lock keeper lost his family home and his job.
Knew the man personally had great respect and for my part got on well with him.
The local boaters also went on a crusade about how unjust the EA were to embark on the actions that resulted in him losing his job.
It all went to appeal via the union however the court confirmed the EA actions.
The other lock staff told a totally different story about the chap and the events that led to his dismissal.
Have spoken to the lockepper who left , he was back visiting the lock . !
Sometimes it is simply time for somebody move on and do something else. ?