Hambleden Lock

Scapegoat

Visit site
I’ve provided a character reference for the appeal and signed the petition. Just wondering if it’s worth sending in a complaint directly to the EA about their handling of this situation? Any thoughts? Anyone have an address or email for complaints?

Whitlock

Visit site
I’ve provided a character reference for the appeal and signed the petition. Just wondering if it’s worth sending in a complaint directly to the EA about their handling of this situation? Any thoughts? Anyone have an address or email for complaints?
Difficult to say without knowing what's happened.

Old Crusty

Visit site

I wouldn't comment on the EA process without knowing it well. By all means write a reference in support and certainly do complain about the misuse of the layby by the pop-up customers.

Old Crusty

Visit site
All this needs to be gone through first.

"Typically, you might give an employee one verbal warning and two written warnings before dismissal".

That's not quite the case. In my long experience of HR matters, the disciplinary process and tribunals, employers may move to the final option if the alleged offence is serious enough. Employers have a long history of dismissing troublesome employees for gross misconduct and even relatively minor misdemeanors especially if it removes an awkward individual.

Some employers are quite happy to fork out whatever an employment tribunal awards the former employee as it is cost-effective for the business in the long term and sends a clear message to the work force that they need to conform.

We are not party to the detail in Simon's case and, at the end of the day, it is a private matter between Simon and the EA. However, don't let that stop you writing letters of support as the appeal process has not been exhausted yet.

oldgit

Visit site
I would be interested to know if anyone here was inconvenienced by the obstruction of the head lay-by caused by boats using the popup facility, either in terms of difficulty using the waiting lay-by or whilst exiting the lock.
PM me if you wish.
Where was it located , cannot recall any problem going downstream last year when we came past during the summer.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I would be interested to know if anyone here was inconvenienced by the obstruction of the head lay-by caused by boats using the popup facility, either in terms of difficulty using the waiting lay-by or whilst exiting the lock.
PM me if you wish.

I was. Coming downstream 8 boats on the layby none of which were using the lock .

Ihad to go onto the steamer piles and perform a dangerous move to get around the Covid fence to access the upstream lock operation pedestal.

Hazardous to say the least.

oldgit

Visit site
It was adjacent & parallel to the head layby during August.

We came past in August and remember no obvious problem caused by any boats moored anywhere above the lock, had we known we may well have spent some money there.
Handy places to grab bite to eat immediately on riverbank are few and far between on the Thames.
Apart from the long established eateries clustered around the usual crowded mooring honeypots.
Want to make enemies ....Try to change something ? :)

Last edited:

Gibeltarik

Visit site
We came past in August and remember no obvious problem caused by any boats moored anywhere above the lock, had we known we may well have spent some money there.
Handy places to grab bite to eat immediately on riverbank are few and far between on the Thames.
Apart from the long established eateries clustered around the usual crowded mooring honeypots.
From their website : https://thelockdownlodge.co.uk/images/gallery/IMG-20200819-WA0000.jpg

You couldn't miss it if you were there in the last three weeks of August!

To stop you would have probablyhave had to use the lock waiting area - hence Simon's problem - see pic.

GGoose17

Visit site
I went through Hambleden once when the Lodge was in business and the lay-by was full. Some were transiting the lock but one or two of the others stayed put when the gates opened - pretty obvious where they were. I simply held station in the river for a few minutes while waiting, but its tedious - Hambleden can take an age to fill.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Setting aside Simon's predicament for a moment, I have discussed the matter of the danger, disruption and nuisance to river users and the resident keeper. Me learned friend confirms that the restaurant operation has most likely contravened or caused there to be contraventions of all four licensing objectives that are:
  • the prevention of crime and disorder (disregard for the TCA & byelaws).
  • public safety (blocking the layby so boaters were unable to disembark safely to transit through the lock & people in the water).
  • the prevention of public nuisance (blocking the layby, late night revellers disturbing Simon & his family).
  • the protection of children from harm (allowing kids to swim in the lock cut).
All of this did not exist before the restaurant was established and so it is the cause of the problem. The pop up now closed and the site cleared, However, it could return and so any evidence, written testimony, photos, video clips of the moored boats, people in the river, misconduct, would be very helpful to apply to have the premises licence reviewed in arrears, if possible. If anyone has such evidence, please DM it to me and I will be happy to collate it and prepare the review application.

I am incensed that this affair has led to the dismissal of a lock & weir keeper with 29 years service for doing his job in very difficult circumstances, with no apparent support from his manager or other managers within the EA. Something smells fishy in the house of the EA and those who have complained.
Interestingly, there seemed to be no licence for 24/25 August. Whether they had stayed longer than the licence was issued for or it had been withdrawn for some reason, I don’t know.
DDE45A6A-FC25-4B70-BE96-DC90BBDD6DA6.jpeg

Chris_d

Visit site
We wanted to use it as it was a great attraction, but there was no where to moor so we didn't as we weren't prepared to moor in the lock layby.

We did have issues using the lock layby as it was occupied by lots of small boats and people sitting there etc... and had to basically force our way in!
You never miss a chance for a little dig do you! :(

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
Plus, do we expect the Lockdown Lodge to return this year?

Scuttlebutt suggests the operator is considering options.

As an aside, I think these commercial facilities are a good idea BUT must be located so they have their own moorings, do not impede river traffic or have a negative impact on lock facilities not to mention the duty lock keepers.

The location in this case looks like a deliberate ploy to take advantage of the head layby (aka taking the p-ss).

Scapegoat

Visit site
Scuttlebutt suggests the operator is considering options.

As an aside, I think these commercial facilities are a good idea BUT must be located so they have their own moorings, do not impede river traffic or have a negative impact on lock facilities not to mention the duty lock keepers.

The location in this case looks like a deliberate ploy to take advantage of the head layby (aka taking the p-ss).
On that note, apparently the portaloos were something of a problem according to at least one reviewABF9736D-0BBF-43C1-B70A-9B51263ED313.jpeg