Hambleden Lock

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Scuttlebutt suggests the operator is considering options.

As an aside, I think these commercial facilities are a good idea BUT must be located so they have their own moorings, do not impede river traffic or have a negative impact on lock facilities not to mention the duty lock keepers.

The location in this case looks like a deliberate ploy to take advantage of the head layby (aka taking the p-ss).
Also watching boats going in and out of a lock is a lot more interesting for customers than just having a view across the river. They probably stay longer and buy more drinks/food if there is interesting activity around.

Location was partly to do with free moorings but more importantly footfall and being adjacent to an interesting area ie the lock.

Time Out

Visit site
I suspect this was nothing more than a revenue earner stop-gap due to no regatta last year. If it was owned by the local turkey farmer does he not own all that land above the lock and could he not simply move it upstream a bit? Having not worked in that area for more years than I care to remember I am not 100% familiar with it so apologies if I have got this all wrong ;)

Old Crusty

Visit site
I suspect this was nothing more than a revenue earner stop-gap due to no regatta last year. If it was owned by the local turkey farmer does he not own all that land above the lock and could he not simply move it upstream a bit? Having not worked in that area for more years than I care to remember I am not 100% familiar with it so apologies if I have got this all wrong ;)

The land does belong to Copas but the pop-up was operated by the daughter of a local, instead of her doing a gap year according to the marketing bumpf.

Last edited:

LCH

Visit site
Not exactly rocket science, and this was precisely the reason that the bar was placed there. It wasn't just some random occurrence it was because there were easily accessible moorings .

I am afraid that you are incorrect. The landowner determined the spot as the other parcels of land already had their 28 day usage allocated to the Regatta, Rewind and so on.

Old Crusty you have got the wrong Chris Hughes..... her father does not own a company called SQN and definitely has never worked in the PR, Comms or Marketing industry.

Whilst it is understandable there is a strength of feeling for Mr Shepherdson please do remember there are 2 sides to every story, and as someone has pointed out there is a due process to be followed and this is protected under Employment Law. The young woman alleged to have singlehandedly carried out a hate campaign has issued her statement. She neither instigated nor was privvy to the disciplinary process that culminated in him being sacked.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Soooo - of what precisely is Simon guilty ???

Harassment ? It seems to be a communication thing.

I am afraid that you are incorrect. The landowner determined the spot as the other parcels of land already had their 28 day usage allocated to the Regatta, Rewind and so on.

Old Crusty you have got the wrong Chris Hughes..... her father does not own a company called SQN and definitely has never worked in the PR, Comms or Marketing industry.

Whilst it is understandable there is a strength of feeling for Mr Shepherdson please do remember there are 2 sides to every story, and as someone has pointed out there is a due process to be followed and this is protected under Employment Law. The young woman alleged to have singlehandedly carried out a hate campaign has issued her statement. She neither instigated nor was privvy to the disciplinary process that culminated in him being sacked.

That's interesting. Neither Regatta nor the Rewind festival occurred last year.

Of course there are perfectly good moorings further up by Temple island but not quite as good as the lock layby and looking at the island with occasional boats going past is nothing like as interesting as the area above and around the lock itself.

LCH

Visit site
That is correct, neither Rewind nor the Festival happened last year, but my understanding was that the licences for both those events was already allocated to specific parcels of lands - including those up by Temple Island. Despite what some might choose to believe, the licensing arrangements were all carefully attended to.

Old Crusty

Visit site

Then I stand corrected re the wrong Mr Hughes. Duff info, edit corrected OP.

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
Could LCH explain he he or she is and what interest they have in this. I'm very suspicious when somebody totally new comes in to a thread like this. I'm assuming either involved with the lady who ran this or EA?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Then I stand corrected re the wrong Mr Hughes. Duff info, edit corrected OP.
Seems to be Chris Hughes of Event Kitchens Ltd and daughter Minna Hughes according to the Henley Standard

If only there had been a little more consideration and cooperation in keeping the lock lay-by free and swimmers out of the lock approach all this could probably have been avoided.

LCH

Visit site
Could LCH explain he he or she is and what interest they have in this. I'm very suspicious when somebody totally new comes in to a thread like this. I'm assuming either involved with the lady who ran this or EA?
yes absolutely I am her mother and those are my initials. The petition with its deeply misleading comment about a one person hate campaign has gone absolutely viral across dozens of social media groups/platforms and has given rise to some truly shocking comments.

It seems better to try to explain that there are 2 sides to every story rather than just closing everything down. Of course it will all give rise to a great deal of speculation but there were some inaccurate comments on here about the reasons behind the positioning of the pop-up etc that I have hopefully now dealt with.

I have no link with the EA.

LCH

Visit site
If only there had been a little more consideration and cooperation in keeping the lock lay-by free and swimmers out of the lock approach all this could probably have been avoided.
One of the clarifications sought from the EA was the responsibility for policing the lockstrip. They were very clear that it was not her responsibility. Likewise it appears that people have always swum from that spot as it has a natural shallow "beach".

In the hot weeks during the summer the river was full of people "wild swimming", paddle boarding and messing about enjoying themselves, It is nothing something I would personally do and I can see that it is stressful and can be difficult for boaters to manage but ultimately people are responsible for their own safety.

Scapegoat

Visit site
One of the clarifications sought from the EA was the responsibility for policing the lockstrip. They were very clear that it was not her responsibility. Likewise it appears that people have always swum from that spot as it has a natural shallow "beach".

In the hot weeks during the summer the river was full of people "wild swimming", paddle boarding and messing about enjoying themselves, It is nothing something I would personally do and I can see that it is stressful and can be difficult for boaters to manage but ultimately people are responsible for their own safety.
Hmmm .... cooperation would be preferable (and considerate) rather than complaining about someone doing their best to carry out their assigned duty to maintain safety in an area that is designated SOLELY for boats waiting to go downstream through the lock.

Swimming near boats trying to moor up, throwing lines, using engines, propellers and thrusters is downright stupid and hazardous. This is why the EA do not allow swimming in lock cuts and lock approaches

Time Out

Visit site
Hmmm .... cooperation would be preferable (and considerate) rather than complaining about someone doing their best to carry out their assigned duty to maintain safety in an area that is designated SOLELY for boats waiting to go downstream through the lock.

Swimming near boats trying to moor up, throwing lines, using engines, propellers and thrusters is downright stupid and hazardous. This is why the EA do not allow swimming in lock cuts and lock approaches

I know nothing of the history or events but I will say that swimming, paddle boarding and general river usage was up considerably last year ( for obvious reasons) on all sectors of the Thames.

So much so in Teddington that the police closed down high capacity areas that included the lock cuts both up and down stream.

so swimming from a natural beach area in the upper reaches would have happened regardless of whether there was a pop up bar or not. Probably in vast numbers.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
But they weren't only swimming from the "beach area" people were using the lock layby egress ladder. The white ladder to the bottom right of this image.

Screenshot_2021-03-25-07-41-01-289_com.android.chrome.jpg

This is an emergency ladder for people to get out who have fallen in. It is NOT for ANY other use.

Anyone swimming there is right in the way of boats approaching the lock. Bloody dangerous idiots and I wonder what the outcome would be if they were in an incident with a boat. I guess the swimmer would win probably if it went to a court case.

Looking at that photo it is incredibly difficult to believe that the positioning is nothing to do with the fact there are safe, piled moorings with regular spaced bollards immediately adjacent to the lodge.

People will ignore signage. And they did.

Time Out

Visit site
But they weren't only swimming from the "beach area" people were using the lock layby egress ladder. The white ladder to the bottom right of this image.

View attachment 112100

This is an emergency ladder for people to get out who have fallen in. It is NOT for ANY other use.

Anyone swimming there is right in the way of boats approaching the lock. Bloody dangerous idiots and I wonder what the outcome would be if they were in an incident with a boat. I guess the swimmer would win probably if it went to a court case.

Looking at that photo it is incredibly difficult to believe that the positioning is nothing to do with the fact there are safe, piled moorings with regular spaced bollards immediately adjacent to the lodge.

I agree with everything you say however swimming on all reaches last year was at levels not seen in recent (modern) times.

if they can swim near a ladder all the better.

You only have to use Teddington as an example. Swimmers both up and down stream of lock and weir all using the ladders to get out.

I saw the same at every lock up to Penton last year.
This is only going to get worse this year.

Anyhow slight thread drift but without taking sides I can’t see how you can blame the bar (not saying YOU) for swimming.

to add Tedd saw several incidents last summer including a boat / swimmer collision

Old Crusty

Visit site
For context, it's less of a beach, more a dent in the bank with a bit of gravel.

However, the river was very busy as you say along its length with many reports of poor behaviour, speeding boats, disregard for the rules not that the vast majority know what they are never mind care.

There is a long history of risky conduct on the Thames with youngsters in particular swimming where they ought not to, jumping from lock bullnoses (Teddington barge lock) and bridges, batting about in inflatables, throwing missiles at passing boats, obstructing the fairway.

In the absence of any EA patrol boats and enforcement, it's become a free for all.

Last edited:

LCH

Visit site

View attachment 112100

I thought I had already dealt with the issue about the positioning of the pop-up. The landowner designated the area as their other parcels of land were already ear marked for use and were not available.

You are quite correct that some people will ignore signage - should Sainsburys in Henley have their licence taken away because people habitually park in the disabled space to the front of it to nip in and pick up some shopping?

I don't know if it is the increased popularity of "wild swimming" or whether it was the hot weather and people were joyful about their "one daily exercise" but the were people swimming everywhere, jumping of Henley Bridge and it must have been a nightmare for people trying to safely navigate through. However the police and the EA were both very clear about the fact that people's behaviour was not up to my daughter to manage.

Customers predominately arrived either by River Taxi and were dropped off at the Hobbs pontoon (whose position was approved by the EA) or they came along the towpath. Some customers also grabbed a burger and a drink whilst they were moored up waiting to go into the lock