Hallberg Rassey 40C

dom

Visit site
Time moves on and equipment improves. One can buy a DB5 if one wants basics or a more modern one with the mod cons. Yacht builders are no different.

Unlike cars, old boat enthusiasts are a broad church: most fit modern instruments, many fit autopilots, many retrofit modern diesels, many have blown heaters, some have laminate sails, and some even carbon masts! Beyond that, some people buy them for nostalgia, some for their perceived sea-kindliness, and some because they are mostly cheap.

No way can a manufacturer accommodate all these tastes so they move with the times, allow buyers to individualize their boats, and create styles which will no doubt become iconic in time.

It's called progress, nothing more

Last edited:

Zagato

Visit site
I thought that putting the engine in backwards was a neat idea. I'd buy a 40C in a flash if I had a spare £700K.

What, wow... how much? I have just fallen off the floor. That is what my house is worth and I thought I was doing well with that. OK that puts it into perspective. For that money I can see it would have to be an all singing and dancing example of a yacht to justify the price and cache! I thought it would be about 250k, I am so far behind the times in yachts Lol! I wonder how many yachts sell at that price. You must have to be worth 4 million maybe to justify spending that sort of dough after you have a couple of nice properties or put it through a business.... or just blow the lot and live on it. Yikes...

dom

Visit site
What, wow... how much? I have just fallen off the floor. That is what my house is worth and I thought I was doing well with that. OK that puts it into perspective. For that money I can see it would have to be an all singing and dancing example of a yacht to justify the price and cache! I thought it would be about 250k, I am so far behind the times in yachts Lol! I wonder how many yachts sell at that price. You must have to be worth 4 million maybe to justify spending that sort of dough after you have a couple of nice properties or put it through a business.... or just blow the lot and live on it. Yikes...

If a small percentage of the population, the absolute number of people with that kind of money is significant.

Think about it this way, a perfectly decent, but in no way lavish town house in say Chelsea/Kensington will cost around £7m, to which stamp duty of £738,750 must be added. Such a homeowner - and there are lots of those houses - would presumably view a HR40 as just another marginal expense. At least you get a boat as opposed to seeing your money disappear down the plughole!

Zagato

Visit site
If a small percentage of the population, the absolute number of people with that kind of money is significant.

Think about it this way, a perfectly decent, but in no way lavish town house in say Chelsea/Kensington will cost around £7m, to which stamp duty of £738,750 must be added. Such a homeowner - and there are lots of those houses - would presumably view a HR40 as just another marginal expense. At least you get a boat as opposed to seeing your money disappear down the plughole!

Agreed. On the flip side, my sister and brother in law are worth over 5 million with a substantial income and she has just bought him his first sail boat... an old Shrimper, and he is largely earning it :LOL: They cleverly put there wealth into choice, expensive property, run around in mediocre cars and are relatively frugal. He loves his Shrimper:).

Reactions: dom

ashtead

Visit site
I saw the Rustler recently at Bembridge on its way to East Anglia I believe certainly looked lovely from the pontoon. If a HR is £550k what’s the going rate for the Rustler though only one exists maybe?

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
I saw the Rustler recently at Bembridge on its way to East Anglia I believe certainly looked lovely from the pontoon. If a HR is £550k what’s the going rate for the Rustler though only one exists maybe?
Came into Salcombe this summer too, definitely looked the part. £1.3M ex VAT is your answer. (An HR57 is about the same according to the internet.)

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Unless I have missed something it seems to be the boat has been specified with powered winches for the genoa sheets and reefing - nothing particularly new there and those wishing to avoid them can, no doubt, keep the money in their pocket and not select that optional extra.

Our boat has one powered winch that controls everything to do with the sails except slipping the sheets when freeing off.. There is an expensive add on, the Lewmar 'Stowinch' system which is available. That allows sail trimming by push button from the helm or front cockpit. We dont have one.

The only repair to the powered winch system on our boat has been a 50p blanking grommet superglued onto the push button after the UV got to the OE one.

So far, trouble free and not expensive.

The technology is available, appears to be reliable in use and makes sailing a less physical pastime.

It will do for me!

ashtead

Visit site
Plus one for electric winches to haul up the main if you don’t want the in mast approach. Also makes furling in headsails simples without the expense of a powered furler. With self tacking headsail it also assists on bringing in the main as required .