Hallberg Rassey 40C

Zagato

Visit site
Just watching this video review of the 40C and apart from by being struck by what boring block of a boat it is ( no gorgeous sheer lines here) I am also startled by all the press button electronics to control the sails. Impressive and handy but I presume you can operate it all manually when it goes wrong and you can do it quickly!

The lovely old simple boats like Rusters, Bowmans, Masons etc have been a blessing, I wonder how these new style boats with all the gadgets will fair in the market when they are 10 plus years old. It would take a brave man with time, patience and money to service/renew and maintain all that complication. Nothing to do with the manufacture of course, the boats are probably not designed to last that long anyway similar to cars but I wonder if it will make older simpler pretty boats quite desireable. Just thoughts... I appreciate for instance some don't get the raised heart rate of classic lines. E.g. A Jag xk120 is just an old car...

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
being struck by what boring block of a boat it is ( no gorgeous sheer lines here)
I agree, I've done lots of miles on the old HR 42 and crewed on the delivery of brand new 1990s HR46 and I find those older models much more attractive. The higher freeboard and almost rectangular profile does nothing for me (Rustler yachts seem almost alone in understanding the aesthetics and indeed practical advantages of low freeboard - see the new 57 for example). As for maintenance, unless you live aboard and have the time, I suspect most owners simply give the yard carte blanche to fix everything each winter!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Unless I have missed something it seems to be the boat has been specified with powered winches for the genoa sheets and reefing - nothing particularly new there and those wishing to avoid them can, no doubt, keep the money in their pocket and not select that optional extra.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Unless I have missed something it seems to be the boat has been specified with powered winches for the genoa sheets and reefing - nothing particularly new there and those wishing to avoid them can, no doubt, keep the money in their pocket and not select that optional extra.

The Rustler 57 has them too .....

1600330882983.png

... and nice to see lots of AWB practicality on the Rustler 57 too ... Pedestal for the huge multi-function display, all lines lead to the front of the cockpit, powered winches, nice wide cockpit with permanent cockpit table, ....

1600331331636.png

.. and a beautiful AWB inspired interior.

Unbenannt.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: dom

Carib

Here we go again.. Baggywrinkle, forgive me, but what exactly is your point above? You seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder when it comes to this tedious AWB / MAB stuff. And whoever introduced those terms has a lot to answer for.

Zagato

Visit site

Good... it would be a shame not to have the choice. All new to me. They wouldn,t produce it if wasnt going to sell. Might be handy on smaller boats for those getting into their twilight years of sailing also. Seems to be arthritis and pulling on sheets that kills off sailing for a few sadly.

Surprised Tesla hasn't made a boat that sails itself yet! Perhaps someone has... might as well go on a Cruise instead though!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Here we go again.. Baggywrinkle, forgive me, but what exactly is your point above? You seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder when it comes to this tedious AWB / MAB stuff. And whoever introduced those terms has a lot to answer for.

Wasn't the OP not doing just that by referring to what boring block of a boat it is and the boats are probably not designed to last that long anyway?

Good... it would be a shame not to have the choice. All new to me. They wouldn,t produce it if wasnt going to sell. Might be handy on smaller boats for those getting into their twilight years of sailing also. Seems to be arthritis and pulling on sheets that kills off sailing for a few sadly.

Surprised Tesla hasn't made a boat that sails itself yet! Perhaps someone has... might as well go on a Cruise instead though!

The options list on my boat has quite a few things that I doubt anybody actually chose such as a carbon rig or an Efoy fuel cell.

A friend has a Maxi 1000 which came with electric sheet winches and also for the main halyard. Not strictly necessary but nice to have at times.

One advantage of the current trend of non-overlapping jibs is that for the most part when tacking you only need to wind it in for the last couple of turns rather than having to drag it past the side stays, etc.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Builders are damned if they do and damned if they don't when it comes to extras. HR had a long list when I ordered mine and we had a happy Champagne-fuelled afternoon at Southampton choosing what we wanted, and had almost settled when Magnus R came and told us what more we should have, rightly as it turned out. When it was all totted up it came very close to the agent's original estimate, which was scarcely more than the Westerly Ocean 33 without extras.

HRs have lacked their earlier style since the 342 came out in 2006, but they are in line with what most other builders are doing. They still seem to be selling, so, although they are not to my taste either, they must be doing something right.

Carib

Wasn't the OP not doing just that by referring to what boring block of a boat it is and the boats are probably not designed to last that long anyway?
Fair point, the OP's second para is a rather sweeping statement which I wouldn't endorse. But I'm not sure what imagined criticism resulted in a reaction pointing out all the so-called "AWB" features of the Rustler (I referred to it, not the OP). Maybe I'm missing something.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

Forgive me too, but to start a thread with "boring block of a boat it is ( no gorgeous sheer lines here)" is not going to go unchallenged on an open sailing forum. If people want to moan about the state of modern boats then they can do it at an owners club rally, or among friends with similar views/boats and get the universal approval they seem to be seeking - it's normal human behaviour to voice opinions and seek approval from others.

When someone puts down a modern, or an older boat, I'll defend the opposite view because I'm argumentative. I don't believe anyone should be shamed for their choice of boat and it would be nice if people admitted the cons as well as the pros of their boats - it would make for a much more healthy discussion.

I don't recall a thread started by a modern boat owner opening with a put-down of long keelers for example ... perhaps I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to happen as often as people making sweeping, negative generalisations about modern boats.

I don't mind people making those assertions, but I won't let them go unchallenged.

PS: And in wades one of the usual suspects with post #12 :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 36384

What great layout in a 40' boat, the galley is fantastic wrapping down the side and under the centre cockpit. It does mean the centre cockpit is high and I think at 40' it makes the boat look a bit dumpy, but for me it would not be show stopper if this boat ever made it onto my shortlist.

The electronics around the helmsman are a great idea, clear advantages for short handed sailing or where only one person was competent. I think electronics and motors have come of age and are reliable if maintained. Digital technology has significantly improved reliability as well, especially in switching and relaying, so I would not be too worried about it. In fact my experience of old boats suggest that poor maintenance is the critical factor in low reliability, so this stuff will probably go on.

I bet that the boat talks to HR and that they can log in and fault find as well. I know at least one boat in my marina that has that functionality and was used recently to correct a small issue. All in all a nice boat.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
This is clearly aimed to a particular market, and perhaps a generation of sailors, the well thought out systems allows people to sail for longer and ease and in comfort.
I prefer the older hull shape of the Rassey. But we live in a changing world and hallberg need to keep up with the changes in the boating market
Me I'm still stuck with pulling my main up at the mast, oh for a powered winch at my finger tips

Carib

If people want to moan about the state of modern boats then they can do it at an owners club rally, or among friends with similar views/boats and get the universal approval they seem to be seeking
Are you saying that you can only voice opinions on these forums which everyone will agree with?

I agree sweeping negative generalisations should not go unchallenged. But remind me who posted yesterday that owners of older boats will be "in the pub because it is warm, dry and welcoming with comfortable seating - in stark contrast to their boats"?

I don't believe anyone should be shamed for their choice of boat and it would be nice if people admitted the cons as well as the pros of their boats - it would make for a much more healthy discussion.

Absolutely with you there.

doug748

Visit site
...... But I'm not sure what imagined criticism resulted in a reaction pointing out all the so-called "AWB" features of the Rustler........... Maybe I'm missing something.

No idea either,

Uber modern AWB features such as a steering wheel with instruments in front of it:

1600336534181.png
CCO creative commons

: o)