Hailing "We Are Racing", in the Solent

DanTribe

Visit site
My usual response to that call is "well you're not very good at it, try and keep up with the others".
It's often tail end Charlie who makes that call.

TLouth7

Visit site
Short answer. No, there is no situation I can reasonably conceive of where this hail should be given.
There is one situation where I will yell "we are racing" - when a member of the next fleet to start decides to come down through the line during our starting sequence.

Of course such sailors are bound by the sailing instructions to keep out of the way of yachts racing, unlike cruisers.

creeks

Visit site
We are racing... Always reminds me, of this
Many years ago crewing in a race out of Cowes we were crossing the main channel when I noticed a supertanker had turned the corner and was bearing down on us. I mentioned this to the skipper, a knight of the realm, who didn't even look round at the ship but just replied to the effect that he was racing and they could jolly well keep out of his way. There was then much blasting of sirens and frothing of propellors and somehow the supertanker scraped past us. We maintained our second place in the race and the supertanker didn't go aground so I suppose no harm was done.

salad

Visit site
The tanker was speeding. It should not have been there. It gave the wrong maneuvering signals... !

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

The parallels here to riding motorcycles are really strange for me. I don't know how to sail at all (yet), but I've ridden bikes for years. The amount of times I see people trust the signals of other vehicles is terrifying. You can't ever trust what anyone else is doing and to ride (or I presume sail) defensively, is critical. Taking the moral high ground is difficult when you're in hospital spitting out teeth, or worse. :ROFLMAO:

Having said that. If anyone remembers "League of Gentlemen" from around 2001 my favourite quote is "Just drive into them Dave, they can't stop theatre," when some am-dram fanatics are faced with a police road block. Kind of applicable.

The Q

Visit site
If it's a Cal Mac ferry there should be a Tug because it will be broken.. therefore it's got right of way...

flaming

Visit site
There is one situation where I will yell "we are racing" - when a member of the next fleet to start decides to come down through the line during our starting sequence.

Of course such sailors are bound by the sailing instructions to keep out of the way of yachts racing, unlike cruisers.
If I was going to be one of those people who correct minor things I would point out that it's the RRS, not SIs that say that.

Good job I'm not one of those people.

creeks

Visit site
Lucky not to be arrested, I'm sure we all remember this one,
I would probably have got the blame somehow - when we once went aground on the Bramble 'Sir' said to me "You put us here ******, you can get us off, over you go" and I had to jump off into 5ft of water, fully clothed. That was in fact enough to get us floating again but I had a heck of a job getting back aboard.

dancrane

Visit site
I suppose racers who seek an empty field in which to compete without possibility of random unpredictable obstructions, go offshore where hundreds of empty square miles are routinely available.

If they haven't time or can't be bothered, they ought only to expect a sort of 'Pacman racing' in which, while sailing for their marks, and as a racing skill, competitors strive determinedly to avoid anything that is (or might soon be) in their path.

The idea that on encountering a non-racing vessel, a tacit request may be made that it gets out of the racer's way, seems entirely at odds with the appropriate spirit of any contest undertaken in a location that is known to include non-racers.

The unhappy racer is only obstructed by consequence of his own decisions or ill-luck, either of which can be racked up as useful experience.

Last edited:

savageseadog

Visit site
I think that the attitude of "I am in the right, bugger you" propounded by some is bloody minded, arrogant and mean spirited. Why ruin someone's race because you can? If it's possible to safely keep clear of a racer or race fleet, one should reasonably do so. "I am racing" might sounds arrogant but what someone is doing is letting you know why he/she might want to stand on. There are of course unpleasant people that race.