Haggis and Duty Free

awol

Visit site
I am planning a wee daunder across the North Channel when the wind stops blowing from the south. I had been considering loading duty free stores, mainly because I can, but am now also considering how many McSween's and Charlie Barley products I can carry - must be worth a fair premium over there! Are we into throwing ham sandwiches overboard as contraband goods or will I get away without any problems?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I am planning a wee daunder across the North Channel when the wind stops blowing from the south. I had been considering loading duty free stores, mainly because I can, but am now also considering how many McSween's and Charlie Barley products I can carry - must be worth a fair premium over there! Are we into throwing ham sandwiches overboard as contraband goods or will I get away without any problems?

You would, in theory, be in trouble: Brexit: What is the Northern Ireland Protocol and why does it affect sausages?

Fascadale

Visit site
I'm relieved the "Ham Sandwich" question is being revisited, important though your haggis and sausages may be, it is the ham sandwich that is at the kernal of the controversy. The subject was discussed here Sailing to Ulster with a ham sandwich on board?

I'm now rather worried that ham sandwiches have become somewhat politicised and any discussion of them might be conflated as a commentary on Br...t and thus banned by the Mods. Indeed meat products as whole, whilst once a possible source of E Coli might now be a reason for expulsion from these fora. Frightening. And this is before we even mention tuna mayo and fishing quotas.

And as for the OP, stick to your usual haunts: see you in the Crit.

Quandary

Visit site
Don't let any of them hear your boat being referred to as a dog or you have no chance of landing anywhere regardless of how soon you jettison the ham. Canines are banned from Norn Irn, I think it is because they are worried about raising the average IQ.
Getting political enough now to be banned any minute?
BTW your plan to import a few crates of Black Bush to Scotia sounds like a good one.

Last edited:

Fascadale

Visit site
Don't let any of them hear your boat being referred to as a dog or you have no chance of landing anywhere regardless of how soon you jettison the ham. Canines are banned from Norn Irn, I think it is because they are worried about raising the average IQ.
Getting political enough now to be banned any minute?

Sir

You are living dangerously. Stick to the canal.

I did read today that there might soon be an "accommodation" for UK guide dogs visiting Norn Irn..................................but I'm not sure that they could take their Pedigree Chum with them

Could we perhaps travel through tuna mayo then the Cod Wars to fishing quotas?

Kelpie

Visit site
By far the most contentious issue this raises is the choice of black pudding. Everybody knows MacLeod and MacLeod are the real deal.

agt6060

Visit site
You can take your dog but you will need the following
microchipped
Rabies vacine
vets health certificate
total cost of over £200 not including the microchip and only valid for 10 days from issue. We will not be going to NI this year.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
By far the most contentious issue this raises is the choice of black pudding. Everybody knows MacLeod and MacLeod are the real deal.
As a humble southerner i would support that statement. Stornoway pudding is the bees knees, just hard to get down south so must wait for my yearly climbing and walking trips to highlands and islands

Kelpie

Visit site
Is the MacLeod and MacLeod twice as good as the MacLeod?

It is not for me to say.
And you might want to try your namesakes, Willy J. MacDonald.
Not to forget Alex France, if you like the coarser texture and stronger taste.

wully1

Visit site
It is not for me to say.
And you might want to try your namesakes, Willy J. MacDonald.
Not to forget Alex France, if you like the coarser texture and stronger taste.

My black pudding knowledge is obviously sadly lacking. More research is required.

BTW - my current favorite ' healthy option' black pudding recipe is a variation on Salad Paisane but with black pudding instead of lardons and topped by a very softly poached egg...and a red wine side dish. Lots of red wine.

awol

Visit site
May I recommend a large mushroom filled with a slice of black pud, a slice of goat's cheese on top - bung in the nuke box and zap until cheese is runny and pud is bubbling, serve with a hot raspberry coulis. Bon appetit!