Gyro install

jrudge

Visit site
Seakeeper installation: How I stopped the rock on my Fairline Squadron 58

I wrote an article for mby about my recent gyro install.

They have now posted it on line ( link above ).

if you are thinking of adding a gyro and can stomach the cost it is pretty transformational in my view.

A spin off benefit is the generator is running 24/7 so the air con is on all the time and hairdryers work !

Parabolica

Visit site
A great article, thanks for sharing. Some interesting points made for those of us who know nothing of these pieces of equipment such as what might happen, worst case scenario if it should escape its housing within your hull - Eek !

But also very good to hear about the improvement it has made to your cruising and especially the anchorages too. Can i ask does sleeping with the generator permanently on, negatively affect your nights sleep and with the extra usage forced upon the generator now, do you anticipate this failing much sooner or do these run reliably for many more hours than most pleasure boats will ever be used. Apologies if these all seem like “rookie” questions but if all goes to plan, then i’ll be exactly that, a rookie ! :)

jrudge

Visit site
The generator on is positive not negative as I am in the med and like the air con. You can’t hear the gen in the cabins. Just the air con fans.

Gen usage is not an issue. They are low revving , non stressed and can run for 20,000 hours or so. You do need to service it and keep spare impellers etc but that is normal anyway

starfire

Visit site
ff anyway ge, post: 7892873, member: 17021"] Seakeeper installation: How I stopped the rock on my Fairline Squadron 58 I wrote an article for mby about my recent gyro install. They have now posted it on line ( link above ). if you are thinking of adding a gyro and can stomach the cost it is pretty transformational in my view. A spin off benefit is the generator is running 24/7 so the air con is on all the time and hairdryers work ! [/QUOTE] Interesting writeup, does that installation make it awkward to get down the side of the stb engine? another boat I'm involved with that has a sea keeper fitted, there is increased earth leakage from the sea keeper 230v side , the breaker that feeds it has to be turned off when on shorepower otherwise the rcd trips. Gyro turndoeff anyway

jrudge

Visit site
No. The gyro is where the batteries were and the batteries are at the back of the engine room beside the generator which was previously a void. Engine access is the same. Battery access is easier for the 2 batteries and harder for the remaining 4. But access before was far from easy requiring the lazarette to be emptied and the floor removed.

jrudge

Visit site
Excellent, and balanced article. This is a major upgrade for an 18 year old boat, which clearly you know how to get the best use from.
It is indeed. I took the view that the boat I bought and the boat I now have are very different and that I should get a fair % of it back in resale. Only time will tell and it is not for sale !

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Very good article and a neat install. I did chuckle to myself seeing the gyro being craned in. I would have put a British nuclear fuels sticker on the side and told everyone you were fitting a small reactor to go green….

Having just ticked the option box on a new boat it’s reassuring to see someone fitting the technology even on an older boat..

TonyR123

Visit site
£65k well spent! Could not live without mine - the main reason we changed boats so quickly is we could not fit one in our previous boat. I now use psb-marine based in adriano for seakeeper servicing. Last service I had to pay about 90% of it upfront before they even came to the boat based on the error code!