Growth on a Swing Mooring over the Winter

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I was wondering if the amount of growth you might get on a boat that is on a Swing Mooring over the winter months (Say November to March) is much less than over the winter months. This is on the Deben

I am thinking of keeping a 4.2 m Sib on my swing mooring over the winter for a bit of missing about on the river and possibly soom fishing. I was wondering if you could get away without antifouling over the winter.

This would be the boat

Boatworld Range Master 420 - Boatworld UK

sarabande

Visit site
BP

My concern would be the boat filling with rain water (if no drain above water level) or being blown over. Anti fouling would be low down on the worry scale.

Unless there's a really beefy securing point at the bow for the mooring, I would add some layers of hypalon to re-inforce the existing one.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That boat weighs 75 kg and with Tank and outboard total weight would be 110 kg Plus. I dont think that would blow away. Good point about the water filling up but ways around that

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I used to keep a gaff cutter on a mooring in Methersgate reach. Sometimes I kept sailing through the winter. She was antifouled, but as you will know the Deben has a party trick of covering antifouling with limescale, and the fouling then grows on top of that. So by the winter months the antifouling wasn’t up to much any longer. She didn’t get much fouler during the winter as I recall.

sailorman

Visit site
I was wondering if the amount of growth you might get on a boat that is on a Swing Mooring over the winter months (Say November to March) is much less than over the winter months. This is on the Deben

I am thinking of keeping a 4.2 m Sib on my swing mooring over the winter for a bit of missing about on the river and possibly soom fishing. I was wondering if you could get away without antifouling over the winter.

This would be the boat

Boatworld Range Master 420 - Boatworld UK
Best t check yr is exclutins first. My olicy didnt cover on a mooring betweecertain datez. M arina no problem

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
That boat weighs 75 kg and with Tank and outboard total weight would be 110 kg Plus. I dont think that would blow away. Good point about the water filling up but ways around that

I had an outboard on, plus fuel tank in a 2.80 SIB, along with anchor, oars etc on the Orwell, I was less than pleased when trying to pick up the mooring, to have a rather strong gust pick it all up and dump it upside down. Once the wind really begins to blow, an inflatable is going to take flight!

Bigplumbs

Visit site
This mow might be the plan:

put rangemaster on the swing mooring. Motor to her in the little sib kept in the dingy park with the 15 hip 2 stroke. Swap over petrol and tank to larger boat and off you go. This way you only risk the 4.2 Rangemaster which cost only £1000 And not your outboard also

Bigplumbs

Visit site
while all the other answers are useful to think about It was more about how much growth might build up in say 2 months over the winter

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Might mention /suggest that if left on a mooring place sealed containers full of water inside the boat to act as Ballast against possible Windage troubles
When going to actually use the boat empty the sealed containers overboard

Gargleblaster

Visit site
The slime that builds up to an inch thick seems to occur all year round in East Coast rivers, not just summer. Best protection is lots of use, but even that leaves a bit there. 7 knots is fast for me, so maybe a rib would get more of it off at speed.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Might mention /suggest that if left on a mooring place sealed containers full of water inside the boat to act as Ballast against possible Windage troubles
When going to actually use the boat empty the sealed containers overboard

that is a good idea

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The slime that builds up to an inch thick seems to occur all year round in East Coast rivers, not just summer. Best protection is lots of use, but even that leaves a bit there. 7 knots is fast for me, so maybe a rib would get more of it off at speed.

It is a sib so has a soft hull.