GREEK UK VAT RECOGNITION - UPDATE From the EU Commission

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Following the CA complaint to the EU Commission:

I had a very long phone call with our case handler this morning.
She had a couple of queries which were answered. This finishes the preparation stage of the case, and the formal letter will go probably on Monday to the Greek AADE.
I was informed that once a case gets to this stage - it is very strong and will be preceded with. Normally response are immediate.

So hold on now a little bit longer as the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brightly.

andrewAB

Visit site
Preveza customs seem to think a residency permit & tax number are required for a UTL even if a UK flagged boat is EU-27 VAT paid (I even have the Greek VAT receipt). Something must be being lost in translation.

I hope whatever the Greek AADE does clarifies the situation for EU-27 VAT paid boats along with UK VAT paid.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Preveza customs seem to think a residency permit & tax number are required for a UTL even if a UK flagged boat is EU-27 VAT paid (I even have the Greek VAT receipt). Something must be being lost in translation.

I hope whatever the Greek AADE does clarifies the situation for EU-27 VAT paid boats along with UK VAT paid.
Andrew, it not only the issue of accepting the UK vat payments, it's the issue of coherent instructions. The only instruction the CA has had back in Sept 2019 is that until we leave Greek waters we will be regarded as tax compliant and don't need a TL of any sort. That was before the dekpa was cancelled, so we sort further clarification. But none received. I note that not one customs office has mention that we dont need a TL!

Not long now I hope!

I hope

grumpygit

Visit site
Andrew, it not only the issue of accepting the UK vat payments, it's the issue of coherent instructions. The only instruction the CA has had back in Sept 2019 is that until we leave Greek waters we will be regarded as tax compliant and don't need a TL of any sort. That was before the dekpa was cancelled, so we sort further clarification. But none received. I note that not one customs office has mention that we dont need a TL!

Not long now I hope!

I hope

Did you see/hear about Sir Peter Bottomley raising this VAT issue in Parliament on this last Wednesday?

grumpygit

Visit site
No I didn't, was it the Greek bit or the HMRC Crap.... they are both almoast as bod as each other

Debate on the Address - Tuesday 11 May 2021 - Hansard - UK Parliament

Here is an edited transcript of the session above.

Sir Peter Bottomley speaking

I turn to some small issues. One is the VAT treatment of yachts that are being brought back to this country—it may be a small point, but I think that the Treasury or VAT people should look at it. If VAT is paid on a yacht that is then kept abroad for more than three years, it has to be paid again when the yacht is brought back. That will not produce any revenue, because no one will bring their boats back.
All our important nautical brokerage in this country depends on those yachts being here, so we should either bring in a marine passport or lower the rates that are above 5%. We should have talks with the Royal Yachting Association and get on with finding a solution, not just say, “It is the way the thing has to be.” It is not the way the thing has to be; it is not right, and it will not work. I confess an interest, but my boat is an open canoe, not a boat that is affected by the 5% rate or the 20% suggestion.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Following the CA complaint to the EU Commission:

I had a very long phone call with our case handler this morning.
She had a couple of queries which were answered. This finishes the preparation stage of the case, and the formal letter will go probably on Monday to the Greek AADE.
I was informed that once a case gets to this stage - it is very strong and will be preceded with. Normally response are immediate.

So hold on now a little bit longer as the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brightly.

I am in a position where its no longer possible to remain ,if I go to the PP and get the TL ,what happens after ? If the AADA accept your version of the wording , do I just throw it away ,or is it registered on a EU computer to be used against me.

Also if I forgot to get a TL is there a large fine ?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I am in a position where its no longer possible to remain ,if I go to the PP and get the TL ,what happens after ? If the AADA accept your version of the wording , do I just throw it away ,or is it registered on a EU computer to be used against me.

Also if I forgot to get a TL is there a large fine ?
If you have to leave, just check out. It should become apparent in the next few days are what the rules are, but I'll lay my money on No TL until you leave and return. Then it should be a UTL!