GREEK TRANSIT LOG ISSUE - IMPORTANT

Chris_Robb

Visit site
There is a requirement to all yachts of 3rd Countries to have a transit Log - that is us! It is not a surprise and has been raised here during last summer.
There are 2 types of Transit Log (TL), the time limited one - 18 months for Temporary Admission (TA) to NON vat paid yachts, and the UNLIMITED Transit Log (UTL) for those with VAT Paid.
The email below comes from Irene at Moor and Dock in Leros. She is being extremely helpful and its a bargain.
Here it is:-
Greetings from Leros and I hope you are well and keeping safe. I wish you a Happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!
I would like to inform you that since the UK left officially the EU there have been some changes regarding the procedures for your staying in Greece. From this year, beginning from now, you should get a Transit Log from the Customs Authorities which you must have with you while you are sailing. When you lift out your boat for winter or any other period during the year you should deliver the Transit Log to the Customs in order to ‘freeze’ the time that the boat is not in the water. The duration of the Transit Log is 18 months, that means you can sail in Greek waters for 18 months and if you follow the procedure I mentioned above, you will be able to sail in Greek waters for much longer until you use all 18 months. I can give you more information and explain to you again the whole procedure when you come to Leros.
As I have been informed from the Customs, you should get a new Transit Log now because since the UK is officially out of the EU, your boat is considered now as a non-EU boat which must have a Transit Log based on the greek law therefore it is not possible to do it later, i.e. when you arrive in spring/summer 2021. After I discussed with them about this new situation and since it is not possible for you to travel now to Greece in order to get a new Transit Log, we agreed that we can do the whole procedure and paperwork for you.
All I need is to send me an authorization by email saying that you allow us to make and fill in all the necessary documents in order to get a Transit Log on your behalf.
Please see below how you should write your authorization so I will be able to prepare your documents and take them to the Customs office. Please send me this on a new email so I can print it separately.

“I, …..(your full name), Passport no….., Owner of S/Y …..(name of your boat), authorize Mr. Antonis Charinos to make all the necessary procedures and fill in the necessary paperwork in order to get a new Transit Log from the Customs office of Leros on my behalf.”

Also, I need to forward me a copy of your new Passports because the ones we have in our records are expired.
Please note that we kindly request to send us the amount of 40,00€ which is the cost for the new Transit Log (30€ for the Transit Log book and 10€ for the procedure) in order to proceed.

I have number of issues with this, as this has been the subject of discussion with the Greeks since last June where we issue a report to the Greeks (with the help of Lachlan Calendar - an Australian member of the CA with TL experience)
The Greek AADE (Vat section) has now , since the end of the Trade talks, formed a working group to address all the issues relating to Vat, the Transit Log, and export and re-entry of UK yachts with Vat paid status into Greek waters. The aim is to get a full set of instructions out to all uK owners in Greek and English. It will aim to get everyone signing off the same sheet.
I have sent my contact in the AADE the email, and already have a called booked with her on Thursday. I will determine what we need to say to Moor and Dock after that call. I would hate to see a wild goose chase!

I am hoping we can write back to Leros to say it is all delayed....

I will update you all as soon as I have more news.

Join The CA.......! We do more to help Cruisers than other organisations - no names mentioned!

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I thought I'd continue to be VAT paid in EU because my boat has been ashore in a yard since 2019 and won't be launched until later this year (with luck). The yard will provide an invoice proving that I paid them to store the boat in Greece before, during and after UK left EU. I was expecting to get an unlimited Transit log this year using the invoice and proof of VAT status prior to 2021. I did not realise that a Transit log would be required for a boat ashore but I suppose it makes sense if it needs to be lodged with PP to freeze the clock. Is this a catch 22 situation where you don't need to freeze the clock with an unlimited Transit Log but don't have one and technically not accepted as VAT paid until you do get it?

This is likely to cause a lot of chaos this year. I'm puzzled why a Transit Log must be obtained now because UK left at end of 2020. If the period from 31th December 2020 until some point in February 2021 is fine without a Transit log, why can't it be extended to May or June? Is there a specific exemption for 1-2 months? I had not realised that a Transit log would cost 30 euro.

My boat was owned jointly by myself (EU citizen) and wife (UK citizen), though she transferred full ownership to me pre-2021 (on the principle that it couldn't hurt).

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
All fun intit!
This was predicted and the greeks have set up a working group last week. They could not do it before as they were embargoed to talk to us before the agreement was made.

They have started reviewing how ALL the regs can be adjusted to get rid of red tape. This sounds encouraging.

Please, no one should get excited as yet, as I think they want to reappraise how it all works. Also getting agreement on any at issues including going to Turkey and returning.......

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This is getting more interesting by the week.
As we seen many here have gone out and got Irish passport.
Now there in a UK registered boat that's EU VAT paid
and they them self are EU citizens ( Irish passport)
Let get this right , boat can stay in the EU as its EU vat paid,
they can stay in the EU as they have EU citizenship ,
but they still have to get a UTL because the boat is mot EU flag is that correct?
This thread only applies to Greece , what about all the other EU countries.?

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
This is getting more interesting by the week.
As we seen many here have gone out and got Irish passport.
Now there in a UK registered boat that's EU VAT paid
and they them self are EU citizens ( Irish passport)
Let get this right , boat can stay in the EU as its EU vat paid,
they can stay in the EU as they have EU citizenship ,
but they still have to get a UTL because the boat is mot EU flag is that correct?
This thread only applies to Greece , what about all the other EU countries.?

As the thread title suggests, I only applies to Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As the thread title suggests, I only applies to Greece.
Well I can only say I Glad I did my sailing in Greece before this all happen,
I said some years back I wouldn't go back to Greece until they reduced the cruising tax on boats over 12mts I think this has really put the lid on Greece for us,
Not so long ago people where jumping up and cheering they no longer have to deal with the PP , seen there are back to where they started from .
Nortada better make way you might just see us in Portugal this year. Haha

nortada

Visit site
I said some years back I wouldn't go back to Greece until they reduced the cruising tax on boats over 12mts I think this has really put the lid on Greece for us,
Not so long ago people where jumping up and cheering they no longer have to deal with the PP , seen there are back to where they started from .

Vic, We would love to see you in Portugal. Would even buy a non-virtual beer, if they ever open the bars. ?✅

And Oh yes,bring your own vaccine ‘cos we ain’t got much.☹️

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Vic, now that the trade deal is complete, the Greeks are reviewing they way it all works. They need to do it inside existing law, as too much other stuff taking that time up.

I am confident that we will get the idiosyncratic aspects sorted out, and the methodology required will be put into Greek and English and published.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
There is a requirement to all yachts of 3rd Countries to have a transit Log - that is us! It is not a surprise and has been raised here during last summer.
There are 2 types of Transit Log (TL), the time limited one - 18 months for Temporary Admission (TA) to NON vat paid yachts, and the UNLIMITED Transit Log (UTL) for those with VAT Paid.
The email below comes from Irene at Moor and Dock in Leros. She is being extremely helpful and its a bargain.
Here it is:-
Greetings from Leros and I hope you are well and keeping safe. I wish you a Happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!
I would like to inform you that since the UK left officially the EU there have been some changes regarding the procedures for your staying in Greece. From this year, beginning from now, you should get a Transit Log from the Customs Authorities which you must have with you while you are sailing. When you lift out your boat for winter or any other period during the year you should deliver the Transit Log to the Customs in order to ‘freeze’ the time that the boat is not in the water. The duration of the Transit Log is 18 months, that means you can sail in Greek waters for 18 months and if you follow the procedure I mentioned above, you will be able to sail in Greek waters for much longer until you use all 18 months. I can give you more information and explain to you again the whole procedure when you come to Leros.
As I have been informed from the Customs, you should get a new Transit Log now because since the UK is officially out of the EU, your boat is considered now as a non-EU boat which must have a Transit Log based on the greek law therefore it is not possible to do it later, i.e. when you arrive in spring/summer 2021. After I discussed with them about this new situation and since it is not possible for you to travel now to Greece in order to get a new Transit Log, we agreed that we can do the whole procedure and paperwork for you.
All I need is to send me an authorization by email saying that you allow us to make and fill in all the necessary documents in order to get a Transit Log on your behalf.
Please see below how you should write your authorization so I will be able to prepare your documents and take them to the Customs office. Please send me this on a new email so I can print it separately.

“I, …..(your full name), Passport no….., Owner of S/Y …..(name of your boat), authorize Mr. Antonis Charinos to make all the necessary procedures and fill in the necessary paperwork in order to get a new Transit Log from the Customs office of Leros on my behalf.”

Also, I need to forward me a copy of your new Passports because the ones we have in our records are expired.
Please note that we kindly request to send us the amount of 40,00€ which is the cost for the new Transit Log (30€ for the Transit Log book and 10€ for the procedure) in order to proceed.

I have number of issues with this, as this has been the subject of discussion with the Greeks since last June where we issue a report to the Greeks (with the help of Lachlan Calendar - an Australian member of the CA with TL experience)
The Greek AADE (Vat section) has now , since the end of the Trade talks, formed a working group to address all the issues relating to Vat, the Transit Log, and export and re-entry of UK yachts with Vat paid status into Greek waters. The aim is to get a full set of instructions out to all uK owners in Greek and English. It will aim to get everyone signing off the same sheet.
I have sent my contact in the AADE the email, and already have a called booked with her on Thursday. I will determine what we need to say to Moor and Dock after that call. I would hate to see a wild goose chase!

I am hoping we can write back to Leros to say it is all delayed....

I will update you all as soon as I have more news.

Join The CA.......! We do more to help Cruisers than other organisations - no names mentioned!

Update from Irene this morning (06/02) - she is indeed extremely helpful.

Dear Mr. Houston,

Thank you very much for your email, the authorization and the payment of 40€ which we received on the 4th of February.
Please be aware that there is an issue with the duration of this new Transit Log because you have already paid the Vat when you bought the boat, this issue was raised by some of our customers who informed me about this case. A representative from the Cruising Association will have a meeting next week with someone from AADE Vat section (independent authority for public revenue) and he will try to negotiate about the duration of your Transit Log, they request an unlimited Transit Log since the Vat has been already paid.
Therefore, I will wait a few days before I start preparing the paperwork which I have to take to the Customs in order to have your new Transit Log. I will keep you updated about this issue and the results after the meeting of the CA.

Thank you for your kind attention and consideration.

Best Regards,

Caladh

Visit site
All fun intit!
This was predicted and the greeks have set up a working group last week. They could not do it before as they were embargoed to talk to us before the agreement was made.

They have started reviewing how ALL the regs can be adjusted to get rid of red tape. This sounds encouraging.

Please, no one should get excited as yet, as I think they want to reappraise how it all works. Also getting agreement on any at issues including going to Turkey and returning.......
Greeks ? Getting rid of red tape ? Are you mad ?!!!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Update from Irene this morning (06/02) - she is indeed extremely helpful.

Dear Mr. Houston,

Thank you very much for your email, the authorization and the payment of 40€ which we received on the 4th of February.
Please be aware that there is an issue with the duration of this new Transit Log because you have already paid the Vat when you bought the boat, this issue was raised by some of our customers who informed me about this case. A representative from the Cruising Association will have a meeting next week with someone from AADE Vat section (independent authority for public revenue) and he will try to negotiate about the duration of your Transit Log, they request an unlimited Transit Log since the Vat has been already paid.
Therefore, I will wait a few days before I start preparing the paperwork which I have to take to the Customs in order to have your new Transit Log. I will keep you updated about this issue and the results after the meeting of the CA.

Thank you for your kind attention and consideration.

Best Regards,
I am glad Irene has heeded my email. That's good, a few more CA members also wrote on the same lines.
Because of the virus, yachtmen cannot visit port police, so I fear this is an example of the local Leros Pp using their I intelligence :mad:and enforcing the law.

I will ask Irene how this all started as it has not happened anywhere else........yet

De.windhoos

Visit site
I am glad Irene has heeded my email. That's good, a few more CA members also wrote on the same lines.
Because of the virus, yachtmen cannot visit port police, so I fear this is an example of the local Leros Pp using their I intelligence :mad:and enforcing the law.

I will ask Irene how this all started as it has not happened anywhere else........yet
Odd, because Leros PP is normally fairly laidback.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Yes - but I remember one of the officers was a bit of a pen pusher! I hope to back there this year!
I thought Customs did the transit logs but that was only based on listening to PP giving instructions to some Australians. They weren't happy about having to travel miles to another office and then back to PP again. I thought that they were talking about getting a Transit Log.

It seems pointless to hand in an unlimited Transit log each winter as you are temporarily stopping a clock which never runs out. I wonder if they will still insist on it. I don't know if non-EU flagged but EU VAT paid boats are very common.

I had not given it any thought yet but knew I would need to get a Transit log because my boat is UK flagged. I'm still an EU citizen so at least the 90 day restriction isn't a problem for me. However, I'm certain the Greek authorities will still find new ways to keep me entertained with paperwork and stamps. :D

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I thought Customs did the transit logs but that was only based on listening to PP giving instructions to some Australians. They weren't happy about having to travel miles to another office and then back to PP again. I thought that they were talking about getting a Transit Log.

It seems pointless to hand in an unlimited Transit log each winter as you are temporarily stopping a clock which never runs out. I wonder if they will still insist on it. I don't know if non-EU flagged but EU VAT paid boats are very common.

I had not given it any thought yet but knew I would need to get a Transit log because my boat is UK flagged. I'm still an EU citizen so at least the 90 day restriction isn't a problem for me. However, I'm certain the Greek authorities will still find new ways to keep me entertained with paperwork and stamps. :D
You are quite right. Customs..... at Kos, that is quite predictable for that particularly awkward customs office. I had thought it was Leros Pp, but as you say it's nothing to do with them!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
How do you intend to “get” 180 days Chris ?
I have been talking with the Greeks since Jan 2020, so lets hope they can get it together for us - I know they want to do this, and since the Trade agreement, have started looking at this - they know they need to do it for financial reasons. They dont need to negotiate with the FO as this is a unilateral agreement......