Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Vasant - recently published law in which article 66 cancels the DEKPA and imposes new requirements on keeping a proper Crew/passenger list.
here is the proposed legislation - consultation closed 27th Feb. Doesnt copy the colur in the text
Article 66 Repeal of Leisure Vessel Traffic Report (DEKPA)
1. Paragraph 1 of Article 10 of Law 4256/2014 (A '92) is replaced by the following:
' 1.a. Private pleasure boats regardless of flag must be equipped with a passenger status list kept up-to-date by the Master or Commander without requiring the Port Authority to approve validate it. The status of the occupants passenger list and any changes thereto shall be signed by the Master or the Commander who shall certify the date and time of his signature. The status of the occupants passenger list contains the elements of Article 5 (1) par. 23/1999 (A '17), is always on board and is displayed at any request of the Competent Authorities.
b. In case where on private recreational vessels, regardless of flag, are working nationals of a State outside the EU or the EEA the crew list and passenger status list shall be kept in accordance with the conditions laid down in point (a) in separate (it means that two separate lists must be kept, one for the crew and one for the passengers). The present current crew status list also contains the date of embarkation or disembarkation of the above employees on board the vessel when it is recorded in Greece. The status of the crew present here current crew list is provided by the Master or Commander at the Port Authority of the first port of departure arrival of the ship in the country from abroad and of the last port of departure for from the country and considered is validated. The visa validation requirement also applies in the event of the change of the above employees.
c. Recreational craft, regardless of flag, that are professionally designated in accordance with the law of another country must be provided with an up-to-date status of passengers list signed by the Master or Commander certifying the date and time of his signature. The status of the occupants passenger list contains the elements of Article 5 (1) par. 23/1999 (A '17), must be always on board, shall be considered validated by the Port Authority in the process of obtaining a sailing permit and a declaration of arrival and shall be displayed at any request by the competent authorities. "
2. This Article shall enter into force one (1) month after the publication of this law in the Government Gazette, with the option of extending one (1) additional month following a decision by the Minister of Maritime and Islands Policy. As from the entry into force of this Article, any provision which otherwise regulates shall be repealed.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic - we have a year if you want to come back and pay the tax! Working on a modification of the Transit Log - we will see............
Thank for the offer Chris but no thanks , the money I save came in very handy .
This will the 8 year in 30 I have not entered Greece for at less some of the time , and two of them years I was taken a boat back to the UK .
Hold my hands up and say we do miss the option of going to Greece , but there a real poss that why the tax is at the rate it is for over 12 mts we won't be back .

Yngmar

Visit site
So under the new rules, should they come to pass, for EU flagged vesssels, we only need the e-TEPAI and that can be done online, right? Does that mean we no longer need to check in with the port police in person upon entering Greece?

Irish Rover

Visit site
Vic - we have a year if you want to come back and pay the tax! Working on a modification of the Transit Log - we will see............
Obtaining a Transit log is not much of an inconvenience especially as you can pay the cruising tax at the same time. Having to check in and out with the Coast Guard at each port you visit is however a pain. Some will check you in and out at the same time and others will insist you come twice. I've had to wait up to an hour on occasions at some ports to get the TL stamped.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
IR are you suggestion that with a TL cruisers will have to check in and out every port?
If that's the case we going back to the old days .
Mind you I can remember times when we went for months without going back to the PP .

Irish Rover

Visit site
IR are you suggestion that with a TL cruisers will have to check in and out every port?
If that's the case we going back to the old days .
Mind you I can remember times when we went for months without going back to the PP .
Yes Vic. They tell you at Customs when you get the TL that you need to check in and out at every port and there are sections in the TL to be filled in for this. When checking out they ask you for your next port of call but if you have no definite plan they accept this but generally want to put something in anyway. Once or twice I've met individual officers who tell you there's no need to check in or out as the case may be but they're the exception and happened when I had a Jersey [British] flag so they may have been confusing the procedure with DEKPA..

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes Vic. They tell you at Customs when you get the TL that you need to check in and out at every port and there are sections in the TL to be filled in for this. When checking out they ask you for your next port of call but if you have no definite plan they accept this but generally want to put something in anyway. Once or twice I've met individual officers who tell you there's no need to check in or out as the case may be but they're the exception and happened when I had a Jersey [British] flag so they may have been confusing the procedure with DEKPA..
That's really going back to the old days , if that's the case cruisers are better off with the DEPKA .
It was a right pain , although as I said many of us never bothered and only check in now and then and when ask we would say we been anchored out at some isolated island with no PP I can clearly remember leaving Kos and checking out and only checking back in when I was about to leave the boat .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
That's really going back to the old days , if that's the case cruisers are better off with the DEPKA .
It was a right pain , although as I said many of us never bothered and only check in now and then and when ask we would say we been anchored out at some isolated island with no PP I can clearly remember leaving Kos and checking out and only checking back in when I was about to leave the boat .
The official Greek Rules are here, snipped from a transit log.
1583051800945.png

It is an example of the inconsistancy (understatement ) of Greek officialdom.
The CA is working with the Greek VAT and Finance ministry as this is not a Port issue to find away of differentiating the Yachts that are VAT paid from those without which arguably do need to be tracked against VAT dodging.

The UCC regulations (Union Customs Code) was written before VAT in the days when a foreign flagged boat had not paid duties. This needs some unravalling and we have pointed out the inconsistant enforcement by officers. Also the impact on their pore customs officers if every UK yacht needs a TL - which they will - in theory on Jan 1st 2021.

Irish Rover

Visit site
The official Greek Rules are here, snipped from a transit log.
View attachment 85732

It is an example of the inconsistancy (understatement ) of Greek officialdom.
The CA is working with the Greek VAT and Finance ministry as this is not a Port issue to find away of differentiating the Yachts that are VAT paid from those without which arguably do need to be tracked against VAT dodging.

The UCC regulations (Union Customs Code) was written before VAT in the days when a foreign flagged boat had not paid duties. This needs some unravalling and we have pointed out the inconsistant enforcement by officers. Also the impact on their pore customs officers if every UK yacht needs a TL - which they will - in theory on Jan 1st 2021.
It's definitely a confusing situation. I started a thread on this in 2018 hoping someone could tell me the correct procedure but it seems no one knows, including the Greek authorities
Greece Transit Log correct procedure

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I been up the mast twice today and not got around to my afternoon kips plus I have had a few beers so please bare with me .
Isn't a TL required for non EU citizens ?
Or for non EU vat status boats or both?
If it's just for non status vat boat then surely boat that are in the EU on B day wont need a TL .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I been up the mast twice today and not got around to my afternoon kips plus I have had a few beers so please bare with me .
Isn't a TL required for non EU citizens ?
Or for non EU vat status boats or both?
If it's just for non status vat boat then surely boat that are in the EU on B day wont need a TL .
The TL is required for all non EU Flagged vessels irrespective of crew nationality. However if you are VAT paid EU27 you will get what is called an Unlimited TL (UTL) which in the expiry date box has Unlimited written - or should be. Whether unlimited will last for several years or not I don't know - But I want to make sure we don't end up with a late stamping situation as with the DEKPA!

The TL Laws are just so ancient the just do not reflect the fact that foreign flagged yachts are likely to be VAT paid. We are investigating how and where we have to talk to, to get the change done. - the Greeks want to do it, but feel they are constrained by UCC law.

De.windhoos

Visit site
Vasant - recently published law in which article 66 cancels the DEKPA and imposes new requirements on keeping a proper Crew/passenger list.
here is the proposed legislation - consultation closed 27th Feb. Doesnt copy the colur in the text

2. This Article shall enter into force one (1) month after the publication of this law in the Government Gazette, with the option of extending one (1) additional month following a decision by the Minister of Maritime and Islands Policy. As from the entry into force of this Article, any provision which otherwise regulates shall be repealed.
Do you think this will go into effect before May this year?