Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Blocked accounts - an explanation.
E-TEPAI - Blocked accounts
Many of you have had issues with blocked accounts.
This occurs if you have 11 unsuccessful attempts to login - your account is automatically locked.
This link will take you to the instructions (rather lengthy) as to how to unblock the account. I have not tried it as I have not had a blocked account
https://www.aade.gr/dl_assets/etepai/etepai_unblock_en.pdf
Working through the instructions above is a mind bender.
Just go to the normal login and choose English.
On the login screen click on reset password (at the bottom) and fill in the reset password screen with your email and submit.
Your account should now be unblocked.
You will receive an Email - if you want to change your password then follow the instructions to change.
Just don't do more than 11 attempts to get in!

If RTboss is reading - could you go and try it!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I am paid up until May 2020 via port police office. as my on line account is still blocked. I phoned the help line to talk directly ,was onl y for Greeks .
RT, look at the latest posts on this thread 're blocked accounts. How to unblock your account.
I presume you may still be blocked?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Old Bawley: are you sure that your payment went through - did you print off the receipt (Print of application after payment)?

I say this because others have done it using the first 20 digits. Some have been rejected, but it each case that was down to filling the box "message to Beneficiary" which of course adds to the SEPA system field with the payment ref. so causing failure.

I have been advising using the 1st 20 but not having proved it myself, I am really not happy - especially as you said 25 digits and it work - please check and come back to report please!

OldBawley

Visit site
First online banking payment with wrong old number came back some hours after payment.

Second online banking payment with good short number came back some hours after payment.

However, this was a number I had from a 2019 application and I tried to pay in 2020.

Then I made a new application and used the long new number for an online banking payment.

Money was accepted and did not came back. ( dahm shame)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Thanks OB - so it looks like they have modified the parsing software to read either - it just needs the first 20 - so is obviously programmed to accept and ignore?? the final block.
I dont know why the Greeks take so long to answer such a simple query!

OldBawley

Visit site
It is 21 years that I sail the Greek waters and I still don´t understand how they think.

I admire the way they live, it is not of this era.

You can ask them to sell you some stuff or do a little job and they will do it when they think it is necessary. Or not at all. Why work if you have enough to live?

A while ago I visited a small boatyard. The two brothers owning the place had just demolished an old yacht. There was a nice tan storm jib lying around. I asked if I could buy it.

No, they had no interest in selling. Two days later I went back and the sail was burning on the pile of rubbish.

Same yard, I needed a big piece of wood for something. I pointed at a nice dry piece of wood standing in a corner of the workshop, asked for how much they would sell.

No, they did not want to sell the wood. Why? I asked. I was willing to pay good money.

The guy said “my father bought this wood, now it is for my son when he grows up. “

I gave up. Mind, we have a good relationship, they know I pay cash, without arguing about price and often give a bit more “for the kid “. They just dont need the money.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
It is 21 years that I sail the Greek waters and I still don´t understand how they think.

You can ask them to sell you some stuff or do a little job and they will do it when they think it is necessary. Or not at all. Why work if you have enough to live?

A while ago I visited a small boatyard. The two brothers owning the place had just demolished an old yacht. There was a nice tan storm jib lying around. I asked if I could buy it.

No, they had no interest in selling. Two days later I went back and the sail was burning on the pile of rubbish.

Same yard, I needed a big piece of wood for something. I pointed at a nice dry piece of wood standing in a corner of the workshop, asked for how much they would sell.

No, they did not want to sell the wood. Why? I asked. I was willing to pay good money.

The guy said “my father bought this wood, now it is for my son when he grows up. “

I gave up. Mind, we have a good relationship, they know I pay cash, without arguing about price and often give a bit more “for the kid “. They just dont need the money.
And who can complain about that!!!!

Tony Cross

Visit site

They do live a very different life. Family is everything here, if a Greek ever tells you that 'you are family' they do really mean it. Selling property here is not that common, the general view is that you don't own the house you're living in (which your parents and their parents also lived in), the family owns it. You won't sell because it already partly belongs to your children and their children. That extends to a whole bunch of other stuff too.

The way to have bought that sail was to arrive bearing gifts; some wine, olives, cheese and sit with them talking, as best as you are able in whatever Greek you have, about how long you've been in Greece, where you've sailed, how wherever you are now is your favourite place. Turn up the next day with more wine, cheese and olives and they will start to see you as a friend. If you keep that up for a few days they will more than likely give you the sail as a gift.

Many Greeks will say "I don't need money, I need friends", so be their friend and they will give you the shirt off their back. If you annoy a Greek though it would be wise to leave....

'Avrio' in Greek means tomorrow, but it's well known that it doesn't mean tomorrow, it means 'not today'. The Greeks will show you the blue sky, the warm sunshine and the clear water, and ask why you insist on rushing around? What do you have to do today that can't wait until tomorrow? Enjoy life now, because you don't know how much you have left'.

It's not very efficient and it leads to economic chaos, but it's the best way to live. :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The Greeks will show you the blue sky, the warm sunshine and the clear water, and ask why you insist on rushing around? What do you have to do today that can't wait until tomorrow? Enjoy life now, because you don't know how much you have left'.
Tony just to put things in the right context, this isn't the Greek way, it's the Mediterranean way,
Us from northern Europe rush around like no tomorrow , everything need to be done now , in the Med life is not only slowly but longer too ,
What doesn't get done to day get done tomorrow or the day after .

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Tony just to put things in the right context, this isn't the Greek way, it's the Mediterranean way,
Us from northern Europe rush around like no tomorrow , everything need to be done now , in the Med life is not only slowly but longer too ,
What doesn't get done to day get done tomorrow or the day after .

Vic, not just the Mediterranean.

There's a very old Scottish joke about a guy from one of the Western Isles going abroad for the first time. Hamish is asked about life in Spain when he returns home. He replies that the pace of life is very different from the island and the Spanish use a word mañana which means they will get around to something tomorrow. Everyone is amazed as nobody can understand why they are in such a rush.

Davy_S

Visit site
The way to have bought that sail was to arrive bearing gifts; some wine, olives, cheese and sit with them talking, as best as you are able in whatever Greek you have, about how long you've been in Greece, where you've sailed, how wherever you are now is your favourite place. Turn up the next day with more wine, cheese and olives and they will start to see you as a friend. If you keep that up for a few days they will more than likely give you the sail as a gift.
Whenever i have done that, the result ends up with me being plied with Tsipouro and ending up pissed, then i forget why i went in the first place.:)