greece

G

according to the RYA the cost of entering Greece with a British registered boat is 2000 dr. per metre for 30 days. with a further 1500 dr if you renter during the 30 days. expensive, discriminatory and, I have heard, contrary to an EEC directive. Of course each island will have a different interpretion of the rules...I have heard from one skipper that the cost of re entering was 200 sterling for a 40 ft boat!
Can anyone throw any light on this? And is the EEC doing anything about this. I suppose any suggestion that our government takes action is a waste of time.

Visit site
Greece takes the view that pleasure boating is a major national industry and that they have a special case arguement. This is supported by the EU (you know that bunch of gangsters in Brussels) . Rightly or wrongly they consider it correct to support near peasant nations with special interests (unless they are British of course who being ex-colonialists need to be taken advantage of just to redress the injustices of history). Brussels has paid lip service to enforcing equal charging in member nations but never rushes to enforce them as we are all to aware. However if you think that is unjust, judt look at the charges the Greeks and Turks impose on each other's vessels moving between countries.

Steve Cronin