Greece to extend territorial waters to 12nm

grumpygit

Visit site
France (Macron) is sending her Nuclear powered Aircraft carrier to eastern med to defend EU Southern border. (OR Greece maybe) No mention of support ships yet. Why for goodness sake. There are surely enough airfields on the Aegean Islands within striking distance. UK is well placed at Acrotiri on Cyprus. If Boris wanted a slice of the action. Erdagan must be regretting his aggressive stance by now. It's all over folks. Time to go home perhaps. Or the whole situation is getting more and more serious.

It's probably to show a strong a solidarity as possible without being seen aggressive. If I was a cynic I might say it may be something to do with Macron getting Greece to buy a dozen and a half of the Rafael Fighter Jets.
I doubt we need to go home yet if at all. If Erdogan takes Turkey to war he will probably lose all the support he has gained. But I could be proved wrong or others might have a healthy difference of opinion ;)

BurnitBlue

Visit site
It's probably to show a strong a solidarity as possible without being seen aggressive. If I was a cynic I might say it may be something to do with Macron getting Greece to buy a dozen and a half of the Rafael Fighter Jets.
I doubt we need to go home yet if at all. If Erdogan takes Turkey to war he will probably lose all the support he has gained. But I could be proved wrong or others might have a healthy difference of opinion ;)
I agree. France looks after France. It may be that because UK has left the EU France is the leading and sole military source of power in the EU. France is actually so relatively powerful with nuclear weapons she dwarfs her nearest rivel so France can rub Germanys nose in the mud. How long has sh dreampt of being able to do that. It must be sweet to take on the role of the core of the future EU army.
In the meantime my boat is about 400 meters away from the Greek miljtary ajrfield in Actio. So I sincerely hope Turkey is content just to ruin everyones dinner and draw back. I reckon he would have to be stupid to take this to armed conflict. However, the cock-ups in UK and USA with being woke (sorry vic) make me wonder about the leval of incompetance among the world leaders.

grumpygit

Visit site
I agree. France looks after France. It may be that because UK has left the EU France is the leading and sole military source of power in the EU. France is actually so relatively powerful with nuclear weapons she dwarfs her nearest rivel so France can rub Germanys nose in the mud. How long has sh dreampt of being able to do that. It must be sweet to take on the role of the core of the future EU army.
In the meantime my boat is about 400 meters away from the Greek miljtary ajrfield in Actio. So I sincerely hope Turkey is content just to ruin everyones dinner and draw back. I reckon he would have to be stupid to take this to armed conflict. However, the cock-ups in UK and USA with being woke (sorry vic) make me wonder about the leval of incompetance among the world leaders.

Not since de Gaulle's dream has France's ambitions been so high although Macron is no better than a 50/50 leader as like Erdogan so he to needs some popularity points and stimulus to survive.
It is said that Erdogan won't be the first to strike but would rather entice and aggravate Greece to blink first so he can hit back and say to the world that he didn't start the war.
Neither Google maps or myself have a clue where Actio is but at least it sounds as though you will have a front row seat if it all kicks off . . . . . or move on.
BTW in my book it is only the loud mouthed minority and extremists (Mmm what's that other word for them,that's it hypocrites) that are woke and not just in the UK and USA, probably the world over.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Not since de Gaulle's dream has France's ambitions been so high although Macron is no better than a 50/50 leader as like Erdogan so he to needs some popularity points and stimulus to survive.
It is said that Erdogan won't be the first to strike but would rather entice and aggravate Greece to blink first so he can hit back and say to the world that he didn't start the war.
Neither Google maps or myself have a clue where Actio is but at least it sounds as though you will have a front row seat if it all kicks off . . . . . or move on.
BTW in my book it is only the loud mouthed minority and extremists (Mmm what's that other word for them,that's it hypocrites) that are woke and not just in the UK and USA, probably the world over.
Sorry, so many different spellings for Greek places. Try Aktio. Near preveza Ionion.

Tony Cross

Visit site
It's just I been following all the brexit thread as you know and people who moved to Greece and other country haven got a good word to say about the UK even tho leaving the EU isn't good for the UK but even so ,
But when it come to the country they got residency in one way or another , as soon as a subject hits the news they can't wait to stick up for their host country and any other country involved is in the wrong , to the extend now hundred of years of history is being used to justify what's happening between Greece and Turkey .
I guess when the time comes that their host country kicks them out or bring in some law to make life difficult for them then I guess we hear a different view .
It's extraordinarily difficult to find a good word to say about the UK when it has it's head so far up its rear end that breaking international law is seen as a good idea. From some of the comments you've made about registration and the 90/180 rule it seems that observing the law isn't terribly high on your agenda, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at your comment.

If you actually read what I've said here about Greece you'll find I've been less than complimentary, though I admit to having been considerably less complimentary about Erdogan.

Donald Trump would be proud of your comment however, so would Boris since he's clearly using the same playbook. When you can no longer argue your case you instead turn to smearing and denigrating those you are at odds with, based on nothing more than your own prejudices.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's extraordinarily difficult to find a good word to say about the UK when it has it's head so far up its rear end that breaking international law is seen as a good idea. From some of the comments you've made about registration and the 90/180 rule it seems that observing the law isn't terribly high on your agenda, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at your comment.

If you actually read what I've said here about Greece you'll find I've been less than complimentary, though I admit to having been considerably less complimentary about Erdogan.

Donald Trump would be proud of your comment however, so would Boris since he's clearly using the same playbook. When you can no longer argue your case you instead turn to smearing and denigrating those you are at odds with, based on nothing more than your own prejudices.
If seen my posting hit a nerve with you , as they say if the hat fit wear it .
I as good as the next to throw mud if you want to start that ,

Tony don't get me started about comments made by you and others , I don't know how you have the nerve to comment on the UK , your happy to take its money when it suite you and in the pass you also happy to get HNS treatment when that suite you too .
So don't give me the height and might bit .
And I guess if the time comes when Greece no long suite your need you be happy to return .

Has for any comment I made about 90/180 rules they where about ways non EU cruisers get to extend they 90 days for longer periods, if they wish to bend the rules that's up to them and nothing to do with YOU ....
I guess you never bend the rules . ( ofcause not )

I have read what you said about Greece over the years and you can't wait as soon as anyone say any thing not to your liking to jump to their defend ,

I made it very clear I don't agree with what's going on in the UK now and don't agree with us leaving the EU not because it's going to effect my life sty but because it's not good for the UK , but as I still pay large amount of tax back and get nothing back ,
I think I have a right to have my say you seen to collect you pension live in another country and seen to think it's ok to run down the country that helping you live your days in the sun at every opportunity.

You living in a country that's been so corrupt over the years that lied to get in the EU then did nothing but take take take and pocket the funds and to this very day they still at it and you talk about the UK the way you do .

It's you mate who got your head up your ass .

Last edited:

grumpygit

Visit site
If seen my posting hit a nerve with you , as they say if the hat fit wear it .
I as good as the next to throw mud if you want to start that ,

Tony don't get me started about comments made by you and others , I don't know how you have the nerve to comment on the UK , your happy to take its money when it suite you and in the pass you also happy to get HNS treatment when that suite you too .
So don't give me the height and might bit .
And I guess if the time comes when Greece no long suite your need you be happy to return .

Has for any comment I made about 90/180 rules they where about ways non EU cruisers get to extend they 90 days for longer periods, if they wish to bend the rules that's up to them and nothing to do with YOU ....
I guess you never bend the rules . ( ofcause not )

I have read what you said about Greece over the years and you can't wait as soon as anyone say any thing not to your liking to jump to their defend ,

I made it very clear I don't agree with what's going on in the UK now and don't agree with us leaving the EU not because it's going to effect my life sty but because it's not good for the UK , but as I still pay large amount of tax back and get nothing back ,
I think I have a right to have my say you seen to collect you pension live in another country and seen to think it's ok to run down the country that helping you live your days in the sun at every opportunity.

You living in a country that's been so corrupt over the years that lied to get in the EU then did nothing but take take take and pocket the funds and to this very day they still at it and you talk about the UK the way you do .

It's you mate who got your head up your ass .

Vic. Tried to advise you to start a new topic, but no you went off piste and now in to full avalanche to bury this particular topic, shame on you ;) :cool:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic. Tried to advise you to start a new topic, but no you went off piste and now in to full avalanche to bury this particular topic, shame on you ;) :cool:
You really didn't think I was going to not say any thing with Mr Cross posting did you . .?
I was ready to walk away .
Not sure who the hell he think he is , other then a ex liveaboard who bend the rules when it suite him .

nortada

Visit site
Your quite right it doesn't belong here .

Come on Guys, this is not the place for this debate.

In here we pride ourselves on all working together to the common good and it really works but this thread has decended into language more associated with The Lounge. If this debate persists in here it could do lasting damage so I have opened you a thread in the play pen (Current Affairs).

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Just tried to delete my last post because it is not for me say whether a thread has reached the end or not.could not find a way to quickly delete it. Nor to impose such a massive thread drift to megalithic structures built by a race of really big people.
Go to edit, delete the text, go to the tool bar second from the right is something that looks like a floppy disk that will drop down and hit 'Delete draft'.......exist the post and it should bugger off.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
K
Go to edit, delete the text, go to the tool bar second from the right is something that looks like a floppy disk that will drop down and hit 'Delete draft'.......exist the post and it should bugger off.
Thanks. The tool bar is greyed out so next best thing I replaced the text with the word deleted

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Come on Guys, this is not the place for this debate.

In here we pride ourselves on all working together to the common good and it really works but this thread has decended into language more associated with The Lounge. If this debate persists in here it could do lasting damage so I have opened you a thread in the play pen (Current Affairs).
Wow I had no idea such a forum existed. Well done. With so much going on I was a bit puzzled why so few comments about these things.

grumpygit

Visit site
If in any doubt between Turkey and Cyprus here again below is the relevant articles from the Treaty of Lausanne.
The Greek colonels coup was much later (1974) which was nothing at all to do with Turkey but the Junta taking control of the whole of Greece, including Cyprus.
Turkey being the sneaky bar stewards took the initiate to attack Cyprus from the north while the Greeks were occupied with Archbishop Makarios, the rest is history . . . . . for the time being :unsure:

ARTICLE 20.

Turkey hereby recognises the annexation of Cyprus proclaimed by the British Government on the sth November, 1914.

ARTICLE 2I .

Turkish nationals ordinarily resident in Cyprus on the 5th November, 1914, will acquire British nationality subject to the conditions laid down in the local law, and will thereupon lose their Turkish nationality. They will, however, have the right to opt for Turkish nationality within two years from the coming into force of the present Treaty, provided that they leave Cyprus within twelve months after having so opted.

Turkish nationals ordinarily resident in Cyprus on the coming into force of the present Treaty who, at that date, have acquired or are in process of acquiring British nationality in consequence of a request made in accordance with the local law, will also thereupon lose their Turkish nationality.

It is understood that the Government of Cyprus will be entitled to refuse British nationality to inhabitants of the island who, being Turkish nationals, had formerly acquired another nationality without the consent of the Turkish Government.

Irish Rover

Visit site
The Greek side say Turkey invaded, the Turkish side say they stepped in to protect ethnic Turks. Will either side rewrite their history. No. Let's move on. It seems to me there are only two possible options. Reunification (which the majority in the North voted for in 2004) or let the international community recognise and acknowledge the de facto existence of TRNC with, perhaps the omission of the "Turkish" from the official name of the state.

Resolution

Visit site
In a peculiar way I see a similarity between Britain and Turkey. We both had major empires that were ended by the changes resulting from the First World War and have mostly struggled since then to adjust to our lower status. Our current leaders both show disregard for the small print and getting on with their neighbours. Difficult to be proud our nationalities.