Greece seems not very cheap.

dgadee

Visit site
Inpound the boats left on the hard , about 2 -3 years to get to Law court , you will still have to pay for the parking if you win your case though and the cranage cost because they had to move your boat 10 times in that period.

Sorry, I was not clear. I meant if they overprice yard work and lose it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Not Surprised - every one knows very well that there is no movement from Turkey to Greece - and they are not the first.
I think it all depend where the boat was going , if it was just passing without stopping the Greek had no right to arrest them
, the Ozzie that had to be rescued last year and ended up losing their boat , well posted on med sailing , sailing from Turkey to Malta ,we knew this couple ,we had dinner with them after the advent while they stay on another friends boat.
they only had to be rescued because the Greek coats Guard moving them on from from where they where sheltering from the oncome storm that was about to hit . 24 hour later they had to be rescued by an passing ship , to top it all up when they put out their mayday it wasn't answered by the Greek coast guard but picked up some how by Malta Radio then relayed to the Greek coast guard who still didn't put out an all ship , and only after Malta radio who in the end direct the ship to them.did the Greek CG get involved .
Last I heard was there insurance was making some kind of claim against the CG .

wazza

Visit site
Surprised by the costs of yard work in Greece. I have a quote (translated in £) for over £1400 to blast a hull, while the price on south coast of UK is £850. Is this markup normal for work done?
Here in Sweden the price for blasting & painting the hull of my 34’ Najad was £2,000 not including the paint.

dgadee

Visit site
Here in Sweden the price for blasting & painting the hull of my 34’ Najad was £2,000 not including the paint.

Your hull is long keel? My underwater area was only 32 m2 - less than/same as yours? And Swedish wages are significantly higher than Greek wages, I presume, too. The Greek yard quoted me more than £2,000 to blast and antifoul my boat. Sweden seems to be cheaper to have work done than Greece.

wazza

Visit site
Your hull is long keel? My underwater area was only 32 m2 - less than/same as yours? And Swedish wages are significantly higher than Greek wages, I presume, too. The Greek yard quoted me more than £2,000 to blast and antifoul my boat. Sweden seems to be cheaper to have work done than Greece.

But not as cheap as the south coast of England at £850.. Najad has a keel a little in the middle, not fin but not long either.

dgadee

Visit site
But not as cheap as the south coast of England at £850.. Najad has a keel a little in the middle, not fin but not long either.

That was just the blasting. For additional costs they would apply antifoul and also treat the keel with anti-rust solution.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When anyone talk about sailing off into he sun set I always have advise to get what ever work they want done or buy stuff, get it done and buy it before you leave , I know myself how I use to moan how expensive bits where in the UK but when you have car to drive around and so many chandlery you can get better deal in the UK , once your on the move in the EU especially now when having stuff sent out is just getting stupid.
For anyone else planning to sail off , sort the boat before you leave , you won't regret it .

DebsH2

Visit site
Take it up channel. I spoke to Symblast who said the further west the more expensive it would be. That £1400 for me is for a boat already on the hard.

I was looking at these guys earlier today and wondering what they charge... I do so which they places would put some sort of proce ranges on thir websites, at least you could get an idea of whether its worth giving them a call or getting some scrapers ?

dgadee

Visit site
I was looking at these guys earlier today and wondering what they charge... I do so which they places would put some sort of proce ranges on thir websites, at least you could get an idea of whether its worth giving them a call or getting some scrapers ?

I spoke to them on the phone and they were forthcoming about details.

alexsailor

Visit site
As Tranona said cost are high in Greece which is why you need to do your only work ,
I asked the riggers in lefkas marina to price up replacing the rigging on the boat i have now three years ago , price €4200 that's without crane cost and with me de rigging most of it , like most stuff I did it myself €2100 even tho they supply the new rigging , so in reality they wanted €2100 to remove the rigging while the mast was on the floor , take them away , make up new wires watch while the mast is put up , rejust the rigging .
Greece stop being cheap years ago our berth in Sicily is cheaper then what we was paying in Greece three years ago

I got an offer in Croatia (Punat) for changing the rigging. 7500 eur!!

I guess I’ll look in Italy….

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I got an offer in Croatia (Punat) for changing the rigging. 7500 eur!!

I guess I’ll look in Italy….
Hi Alex been some time since we spar with each other over Greece
Hope your keeping well .
That was about 4 years ago now that we done our rigging so I guess the prices have gone up quite a bit since .
It was waypoint in Lefkas who priced the job up , at the time we not had the boat long and I had plenty of other work to do while it was on the hard from removing all the window and resealing them, all the sea cock, the Gen needed replacing, saildrive had problem , the list when on .
but after what they was asking for and it still meant I had to remover the mast and de rig most of it , we did the job out self.
We also had our other yacht which needed to be ready to sell .
Not sure Italy be much cheaper but you could ask around I guess the 7500E is for them to do the whole job.

OldBawley

Visit site
Greece is also the only country that confiscates packages sent from the UK to Greece. ( Brexit) They hold the package back, then send you you a ransom bill. Here a sample:

I became a bill of 180 € for DUTIES & TAXES, HANDLING
CHARGES, BROKERAGE FEE, VAT BROKERAGE FEE, DELIVERY ORDER FEE, and VAT
DELIVERY ORDER FEE

All of that for a part worth less than what Greece airport handlers asked.

I need a chain gipsy for my SL anchor winch. Old one simply worn out so much that the wheel is round. I could order in the UK but I refuse to.

I bought a cast iron chain gipsy for a manure spreading wagon in Holland, cost peanuts and had it turned by my brother. Now the gipsy is shipped to Greece, and since it is not sent from UK no extra charges.

Not for the extra 180 €, for principle. Sorry UK.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Greece is also the only country that confiscates packages sent from the UK to Greece. ( Brexit) They hold the package back, then send you you a ransom bill. Here a sample:

I became a bill of 180 € for DUTIES & TAXES, HANDLING
CHARGES, BROKERAGE FEE, VAT BROKERAGE FEE, DELIVERY ORDER FEE, and VAT
DELIVERY ORDER FEE

All of that for a part worth less than what Greece airport handlers asked.

I need a chain gipsy for my SL anchor winch. Old one simply worn out so much that the wheel is round. I could order in the UK but I refuse to.

I bought a cast iron chain gipsy for a manure spreading wagon in Holland, cost peanuts and had it turned by my brother. Now the gipsy is shipped to Greece, and since it is not sent from UK no extra charges.

Not for the extra 180 €, for principle. Sorry UK.
It don't surprise me , nothing as a fact surprise me with Greece , .
We manage to import duty and Vat free now in two EU countries, but for no love or money I would try it in Greece

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
It don't surprise me , nothing as a fact surprise me with Greece , .
We manage to import duty and Vat free now in two EU countries, but for no love or money I would try it in Greece
We had enough problems with a package from Germany and everyone we met had horror stories

NZ guy had a water-maker shipped by his son to friend in Greece. Long story but the guy eventually had to leave for Turkey as there was no sign of progress and delays were silly. I later heard that it was impossible to forward from customs at Athens to Turkey and he had to pay to have it "destroyed" as the cheapest option.

An American couple made the mistake of forwarding 2 small parcels of personal items from USA. They gave up waiting, hired a car, stayed in a hotel and did the rounds in Athens to get the packages. It involved several trips to get forms, pay fees and collect packages. Complicated by being given the wrong form, paying the wrong amount and having to do it in reverse to get a refund before paying 2x the expected amount on the 2nd trip around.

I remember another problem with an outboard and several other misc. similar stories. We decided to "never, ever have anything shipped from outside the EU and even avoid buying from EU countries if at all possible.

Our annual luggage on flights to Greece always consists of 2 x 23kg bags of boat stuff plus misc. smaller items in hand luggage. We do buy a lot in Greece but mainly stick to local suppliers or some we've dealt with before.

Davy_S

Visit site
I thought that all the Hiluxes (and some Porsches) were all bought with EC grants for non-existent olive groves?
From what i remember, the road tax on a Hilux was around 400 euros or higher, if you registered a couple of olive trees or a couple of sheep, you could reduce the road tax to 90 euros, of course things may have changed now, but the same drivers managed to run their vehicles on subsidized winter heating oil!