Greece seems not very cheap.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
It may change ,but i don't hold out much hope,. I have wintered in Lavrio port where lots of the main charter boat owners are based , talking to them they are very worried ,there virtually no British business and European bookings are down nearly 90%.

This week one of the big ones took delivery of 4 cats the smallest 46 ft .I can tell you there are lots of very worried faces here .
Whether this will reflect in pricesI don't know. ?

I can see myself ending up in Turkey as soon as I can leave , my boat and myself will be close to 90 days ... The port police will not allow movement of boats so I still have to work out how to leave

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It may change ,but i don't hold out much hope,. I have wintered in Lavrio port where lots of the main charter boat owners are based , talking to them they are very worried ,there virtually no British business and European bookings are down nearly 90%.

This week one of the big ones took delivery of 4 cats the smallest 46 ft .I can tell you there are lots of very worried faces here .
Whether this will reflect in pricesI don't know. ?

I can see myself ending up in Turkey as soon as I can leave , my boat and myself will be close to 90 days ... The port police will not allow movement of boats so I still have to work out how to leave
Bob Turkey a good option but that too going up Has a few of our cruisers friend because of Brexit where going there's I didn't ask for a price for a winter contract and I was suprise How much it's gone up , 2K for us if we renewed here with our discount it's 1300 althought we do plain to spen next winter else where , two years in one place is enough , mind you when you read how other country are carrying on with restrictions we very lucky , if I want to go for a sail to morrow I can .
For us it's looking like Portugal, canneries or maybe Spain althought we not ruled out Turkey .
I have to say this is the first year ever we not got at less a little plain what we going to do .

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Bob Turkey a good option but that too going up Has a few of our cruisers friend because of Brexit where going there's I didn't ask for a price for a winter contract and I was suprise How much it's gone up , 2K for us if we renewed here with our discount it's 1300 althought we do plain to spen next winter else where , two years in one place is enough , mind you when you read how other country are carrying on with restrictions we very lucky , if I want to go for a sail to morrow I can .
For us it's looking like Portugal, canneries or maybe Spain althought we not ruled out Turkey .
I have to say this is the first year ever we not got at less a little plain what we going to do .

I was extremely pleased with the price Marina de Rugusa offerd and their help when I could not go there..However it the same problem only 90 days .
I would think with the rush to Portugal prices there will rise also.
Its a difficult time for me Hanibal yard in Monfacone was the best option a 16 odd hour drive down from the tunnel ,
But I am stuck in Greece, with little hope of getting vaccinated and held in port against my will to leave ...In another 40 days the same port police will be asking why have I stayed over the permitted time ...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I was extremely pleased with the price Marina de Rugusa offerd and their help when I could not go there..However it the same problem only 90 days .
I would think with the rush to Portugal prices there will rise also.
Its a difficult time for me Hanibal yard in Monfacone was the best option a 16 odd hour drive down from the tunnel ,
But I am stuck in Greece, with little hope of getting vaccinated and held in port against my will to leave ...In another 40 days the same port police will be asking why have I stayed over the permitted time ...
Bob i may not got this quite right but as far as I know if you leaving Greece,
going straight out without stopping , I didn't think they could stop you leaving. ?
So if say you wanted to sail non stop to say Turkey, you should be OK but you must keep going. Maybe Chris might give some input here .

I help negotiate a just about to over stay ozzie a few days a Go with the CG .
Out come was , we stamp you out keep your head down and don't get drank and arrested basically
once you decide to l eave do not stop .
FaIr out come .

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
A Turkish boat was intercepted last week off the bottom of Makronisos island ,the yacht was impounded and skipper spent at least one night in prison
Boat is now on the hard in lavrio .

Yngmar

Visit site
We hauled out in Preveza (Ionion Marine) in July 2020 and it was very cheap compared to the Sicilian or Maltese yards, plus very DIY friendly. The yard and crane crew were experienced and well organized (which isn't always the case in the region). Can't comment on the cost of other labour as we do our own work.

If you don't want to DIY, the neighbouring Cleopatra seems to be aiming for the full service crowd. Of course you can expect to pay for such luxury, which is certainly reflected in the type of boats we saw in their yard ?

Last I asked for a quote for blasting our 40 footer on the UK south coast (in 2015), I got a quote of £1200 + VAT by the way. Plenty of motivation to get sweaty myself :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
A Turkish boat was intercepted last week off the bottom of Makronisos island ,the yacht was impounded and skipper spent at least one night in prison
Is that because he stopped some where in Greece ?
Thats what I ment once you go you have to keep going out of Greece
More to the point Bob is where do you go everywhere close just now

Irish Rover

Visit site
Is that because he stopped some where in Greece ?
Thats what I ment once you go you have to keep going out of Greece
More to the point Bob is where do you go everywhere close just now
Turkey is definitely open for yachts coming from Greece. The formalities change from time to time so it would be better to have an arrangement with a marina or a handling agent before arrival.

SPWiddy

Visit site
Just for info, this is what I was quoted for a 42 foot boat in Greece. (one of the 3 Yards).

sandbalasting all the antfouling area (keel+hull+rudder) 1550,00 euro +24%VAT

Lift the boat and change the cradles to sandblast the support areas. 300,00 euro +24%VAT

4 coats of epoxy primer. 480,00 euro +24%VAT plus matarials.

1 coat of primer. 120,00 euro +24%VAT plus materials.

2 coats of antifouling. 240,00 euro +24%VAT plus materials.

The approx. material cost. 1180,00 euro ( approx.: x1,4 the labour cost).

Total 4515.60 euro (without the vat on materials as it was unclear whether it was included)

dgadee

Visit site
Just for info, this is what I was quoted for a 42 foot boat in Greece. (one of the 3 Yards).

sandbalasting all the antfouling area (keel+hull+rudder) 1550,00 euro +24%VAT

Lift the boat and change the cradles to sandblast the support areas. 300,00 euro +24%VAT

4 coats of epoxy primer. 480,00 euro +24%VAT plus matarials.

1 coat of primer. 120,00 euro +24%VAT plus materials.

2 coats of antifouling. 240,00 euro +24%VAT plus materials.

The approx. material cost. 1180,00 euro ( approx.: x1,4 the labour cost).

Total 4515.60 euro (without the vat on materials as it was unclear whether it was included)

Seems a lot of money. Did you go for it?

Of course, different hull shapes will involve different m2. Mine is sporty-ish and only 32 m2.

SPWiddy

Visit site
No did not go for it
Seems a lot of money. Did you go for it?

Of course, different hull shapes will involve different m2. Mine is sporty-ish and only 32 m2.
The quote was a bit spicy for me, I ended up sanding off the old AF and applying new myself.
The boat is wing keel cruiser so not ott on m2.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just looked at average wages in European countries. Greece is by no means high:

List of European countries by average wage - Wikipedia

so not sure why prices for work should be.
With so many boats in Greece the yards have it made , or so they think ,

With us brits having to move on 90/180 , plus covid, top that with not so many charter yacht not going in and out, I think the greedy yards and contractor are going to be in for a shock and about too ,

But the real problem is crusiers them self, in the pass have ended up in Greece and was willing to pay what ever people wanted and still shout how cheap Greece is especially to the contractor them self , how it was so cheap to pay just €10 for a night on the town wall .
compare with the UK.
well there are not shout now so blame them for the way Greece as gone,
Not the Greeks .

dgadee

Visit site

With us brits having to move on 90/180 , plus covid, top that with not so many charter yacht not going in and out, I think the greedy yards and contractor are going to be in for a shock and about too ,

But the real problem is crusiers them self, in the pass have ended up in Greece and was willing to pay what ever people wanted and still shout how cheap Greece is especially to the contractor them self , how it was so cheap to pay just €10 for a night on the town wall .
compare with the UK.
Not the Greeks .

Agree. A friend, not in Greece, views his boat as getting everything it demands. On my complaint about Greek prices he said: "’I'm not being sarcastic when I say you won’t notice the money going out of your account. Especially with the last 5 months I’ve had, my view is, if a job on the yacht needs doing and I can trust the person I’ve asked to do it, then it’s a cost I have to pay." Not my view, I'm afraid. I always notice money going out of my account. Mind you, I was a simple academic and he was a university administrator. You can see who got the better salary.

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
Surprised by the costs of yard work in Greece. I have a quote (translated in £) for over £1400 to blast a hull, while the price on south coast of UK is £850. Is this markup normal for work done?
£1400! Bargain. I can't get a quote for under £1500 back here in Falmouth and that's not including any lift and storage costs :cry:

dgadee

Visit site
£1400! Bargain. I can't get a quote for under £1500 back here in Falmouth and that's not including any lift and storage costs :cry:

Take it up channel. I spoke to Symblast who said the further west the more expensive it would be. That £1400 for me is for a boat already on the hard.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

compare with the UK.
Not the Greeks .

Knowing the Greek mentality " been here since 1996" they will put the prices up to cover their losses

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Not Surprised - every one knows very well that there is no movement from Turkey to Greece - and they are not the first.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
What will they do if people stop paying?
Inpound the boats left on the hard , about 2 -3 years to get to Law court , you will still have to pay for the parking if you win your case though and the cranage cost because they had to move your boat 10 times in that period.

Last edited: