Greece seems not very cheap.

dgadee

Visit site
Surprised by the costs of yard work in Greece. I have a quote (translated in £) for over £1400 to blast a hull, while the price on south coast of UK is £850. Is this markup normal for work done?

Irish Rover

Visit site
Surprised by the costs of yard work in Greece. I have a quote (translated in £) for over £1400 to blast a hull, while the price on south coast of UK is £850. Is this markup normal for work done?
That was my experience as well Cost of anti- fouling in Greece.
They seem to think it's OK to screw us rich foreign yacht owners and to make it easier a lot of yards won't allow you to bring in outside contractors. Some won't even let you do the work yourself.

Tranona

Visit site
When I first sailed in Greece in 1999, the week food and drink costs, including eating out most evenings came to around £60 a head. Boat related repair and marina costs were around one third of UK. No surprise that two years later I bought a boat there. Then of course the Euro came, but even then by the time I left costs were still substantially less than UK. The weak £ does not help, but even by S European standards costs are on the high side.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As Tranona said cost are high in Greece which is why you need to do your only work ,
I asked the riggers in lefkas marina to price up replacing the rigging on the boat i have now three years ago , price €4200 that's without crane cost and with me de rigging most of it , like most stuff I did it myself €2100 even tho they supply the new rigging , so in reality they wanted €2100 to remove the rigging while the mast was on the floor , take them away , make up new wires watch while the mast is put up , rejust the rigging .
Greece stop being cheap years ago our berth in Sicily is cheaper then what we was paying in Greece three years ago

wwalsh

Visit site
Because of traffic you can often now go same speed as donkey with porsche.
Greece has a full range of prices especially in the Ionian it can be very expensive and the problem is getting repair people to show up and the cheapest repairer may be available only after several months.

Sailfree

Visit site
Law of supply and demand usually means labour floods in to fill highly paid jobs.

Isnt there high unemployment in Greece?

Are there restrictive practices at work to keep proces high?

dgadee

Visit site
Law of supply and demand usually means labour floods in to fill highly paid jobs.

Isnt there high unemployment in Greece?

Are there restrictive practices at work to keep proces high?

Maybe rich Germans prepared to pay high prices? I'm in the Ionian and just been there a few months so don't really know the situation.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Maybe rich Germans prepared to pay high prices? I'm in the Ionian and just been there a few months so don't really know the situation.
Talk to the local ex-pat liveaboards. They're usually the best source of information. If you want to share your location I'm sure some of them are on the forum and may be able to help.

dgadee

Visit site
Preveza. But not sure that blasting would be doable unless carried out by the yard.

I will get the minimum done by the yard and do the rest myself, I think - the keel. Difficulty at present is getting out there.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Preveza. But not sure that blasting would be doable unless carried out by the yard.

I will get the minimum done by the yard and do the rest myself, I think - the keel. Difficulty at present is getting out there.
I assumed you were there already. They have you by the short and curlys and they know it. Probably the same yard who tried to screw me 3 years ago.

dgadee

Visit site
I suppose I don't need to do the work. I could just sand and slap on a coat of antifoul and get blasting somewhere else in the future I am not racing - just pottering about.

Any idea what Turkey is like cost wise?

Irish Rover

Visit site
I suppose I don't need to do the work. I could just sand and slap on a coat of antifoul and get blasting somewhere else in the future I am not racing - just pottering about.

Any idea what Turkey is like cost wise?
I haven't had blasting done but I pay around €900 for sanding, filling, and 2 coats of antifouling plus full cut and polish for 34 foot power catamaran. I'm in a Setur marina so prices generally higher (yard workshops paying exorbitant rents). Liftout is expensive here.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I sure you probably have but have you tryed Ionian yard , ,I know they have someone's there that shot blast , plus you can do your own work and unless things have change there no charge in getting outside contractors.

dgadee

Visit site
I sure you probably have but have you tryed Ionian yard , ,I know they have someone's there that shot blast , plus you can do your own work and unless things have change there no charge in getting outside contractors.

That's where I am currently out of the water.

Irish Rover

Visit site
They wouldn't allow me bring in outside painters when I was there in 2018.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
They wouldn't allow me bring in outside painters when I was there in 2018.
We had two yacht in Ionian yard in 2017 and although we did all our own work others did have contractors our friends had his steel yacht sand blasted there by out side contractor,
We left Greece for good and not return since so I can only say they must had change the rules , I know Actko next door just started to charge contractor for doing work in they yard .

Irish Rover

Visit site
We had two yacht in Ionian yard in 2017 and although we did all our own work others did have contractors our friends had his steel yacht sand blasted there by out side contractor,
We left Greece for good and not return since so I can only say they must had change the rules , I know Actko next door just started to charge contractor for doing work in they yard .
My boat was in the yard when I bought it and they knew I was taking it to Turkey and wouldn't be back so I'd say they were trying to screw as much out of me as they could before I left. In the end I didn't get the painting done there - I waited until I got to Turkey and it was still cheaper even having to pay for a lift out.

wwalsh

Visit site
Blasting needs care in use, for instance if it is a cat and there are corners, the gelcoat will be totally removed on the corners. It is also likely to open up any gelcoat voids much to the delight of the yard so they can sell you gelcoat repairs too.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My boat was in the yard when I bought it and they knew I was taking it to Turkey and wouldn't be back so I'd say they were trying to screw as much out of me as they could before I left. In the end I didn't get the painting done there - I waited until I got to Turkey and it was still cheaper even having to pay for a lift out.
I have to say we hauled out in Ionian yard for many years and alway found them good and help full and the odd time we needed an hand like wanting to use their workshop for say a vice of heat some thing up there was never a charge even once when I couldn't get a bearing out of its housing and there Guy spend an half hour on it I was never charged ,
but things change and you could see the chances happen once the old man died and the younger member of the famaily run the business once the yard got extended thing moved on , as more charter yacht taken up winter spot you had to book early if you wanted to haul out for the winter .
As many know we not been back to Greece since the unfair cruising tax for boats over 12 mts was brought in and I very much doubt we ever will while it's stay like it is ,
if we decide to go back to Turkey we just sail straight pass it's no big deal for us , we don't have the need to stop and rest our heads each night even at our age,
It's a real shame as I spend most of my sailing life sailing in and out of Greece and loved every day , there was very years when we didn't cruised there even if it was just for a few weeks .
For us Greece is just a few small part of the Med cruising no matter how woundful it is but cheap it's not no matter what some want us to believe ,
just talking about a haul out in the south of France will see many here hold their head in their hands and tears running from there eye , but that because the only thing they know isn't Greece ,
two haul out we had last year because of saildrive leaks one in the south of France the other in Sardinia .
€195 in and out in the SOF €150 in Sardinia that with us sitting on the slings for half a day , please tell me where in Greece you can get that type of service .
Under €100 a haul ,
For many year I have wrote here how Greece is getting expensive for cruising and being shouted down by a some who know no better because all they know is Greece , they brought boats there and never been else where or sailed stopping in a very few countries before arriving in Greece and been there every since ,
Some one said in another posting that I'm in Denial re brexit , I had to laught so did my co skipper , it's not me in denial .