Great Canal Journeys

Old Crusty

Visit site
... and to crown it all, that idiotic seeker of the limelight, the EA's Barry Russell MBE (why must that be mentioned?), was featured poncing about pretending to be a lock keeper in his full No.1 ceremonial uniform, crass plonker. Added to that, once again we were treated to yet more rowing with Leander Club and the umpteenth go at the Profumo affair at Cliveden. There is so much more to the river than just those two organisations.

TrueBlue

Visit site
... and to crown it all, that idiotic seeker of the limelight, the EA's Barry Russell MBE (why must that be mentioned?), was featured poncing about pretending to be a lock keeper in his full No.1 ceremonial uniform, crass plonker. Added to that, once again we were treated to yet more rowing with Leander Club and the umpteenth go at the Profumo affair at Cliveden. There is so much more to the river than just those two organisations.
'We' forget that such programmes are not for the 'locals' - it's for the edification of the Greater Unwashed, and I thought that objective was well served.
Mr. Russell poncing around in a hat that was too large for him, mebe proves the point he's not suitable for the job.. But he's long gone isn't he, please....
(ps I thought No.1 uniforms had bee 'abolishied years ago. OTOH it's nice to dress up occasionally?

CLB

Visit site
I watched it and, knowing the thames as well as I do, was infuriated with the poor continuity. Then I git to thinking about all of the other GCJ episodes I have watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, and realised they were all probably just as bad. It was just that I didn't know the waterway they were on well enough to tell.

While I understand that it makes the editing process easier, It seems very lazy (or possibly ignorant) to do it.

Sharky34

Visit site
Not often I use such words but "what a lot of crap" Continuity was the worst I have seen. No Volunteers or Lock and weir keepers shown and I could not beleive that they had Tim giving training. Not sure what the aim of the program was for or who it was aimed at.
Money for theatrical pensioners.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Heavens above, Crusty, the video is badged
Canal & River Trust
Is this a secret second attempt - sponsored by you for THE ENEMY to take over what's left of The River??
If you think EA have not managed it well, the Other Mob will be worse.....

Old Crusty

Visit site
Heavens above, Crusty, the video is badged
Canal & River Trust
Is this a secret second attempt - sponsored by you for THE ENEMY to take over what's left of The River??
If you think EA have not managed it well, the Other Mob will be worse.....

I looked at another source but the picture quality was poor.

As for CRT taking over the EA navigations, well, I've now been both sides of that fence and to be honest, there is little to choose between them - they are both populated with poor managers who make ridiculous decisions while overlooking the main source of income - boaters.

Big John

Visit site
I wonder if they will bring out another book?
View attachment 102629
I don’t mind for Prunella but as for the pompous Tim, hitting other boats and calling it contact sports, always telling her what she should or not do, never any praise. But he is the one just standing there giving the orders whilst she battles with the locks, ropes and pushing the beams. My wife would have walked of the boat if I treated her in the same way.

Last edited: