Grand Soleil 42 - experience?

BarryL

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm eager to become a member of the yachtie community and am looking at some affordable mid 80's early 90's cruiser/racer models. Currently I'm looking at a GS 42 and I've been trying to find information and reviews online on this model but with little success. Very many of this model were made but so far I've not come across a lot of useful information. Looks like many are still in the Italian market and my understanding of that ancient language isn't all that great.
There's a blog wegotwind.com but there's little technical information on the boat, does anyone know the skipper Dick? There's even grandsoleil42.com, but the gentleman prob hasn't paid his hosting service as the blog has been shutdown (and it was all in Italian anyway)

If anyone has experience with this ship, or just general thoughts, that would be much appreciated. Particularly regarding some of the following
Speed - hobby racing
Offshore - ocean going capabilities
Live-aboard functionality

The boat has a Volvo 2003T engine, on which I've already read a lot of very mixed reviews. This specific one seems to be very well maintained but I'll also have it properly checked out. There's no teakdeck (no risk of replacing that). It seems that pretty much everything is still en fabrique

Thanks in advance
Barry

Wandering Star

Visit site
Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forums, you've posted this in the "Ships" forum which won't attract many, if any, responses. Your post should really have been made to the "Scuttlebut" or possibly the "Liveaboards" forum. I would repost it to one or other of those forums. There'll almost certainly be members owning or with a good knowledge of the Grand Soleil models. Good Luck.

PS. All the forums mentioned above form part of YBW forums family.

Richard10002

Visit site
A GS 42 was moored next to me in Portomaso, Malta for the couple of years I was there. Had one sail in her, and couldnt believe how lightweight she was compared to our Moody 44. Reacted fast, and accelerated like a sports car in the lightest breeze.. a lovely boat.

bikesherpa

Visit site
It is a boat designed by G. Frers in the late 80s and built by Cantieri del Pardo. There are multiple versions of this boat: 2.05m or 2.5m draft, iron or lead keel, 2 or 3 cabins. The 2 cabins version has a very spacious aft cabin.
More that 130 boats built. The engine is usually a Volvo 43HP
Very good sailing abilities. Very good pointing abilities, smooth on the waves.
Most GS42 owners are very happy of their boat.

gs42.jpg

Mogle01

Visit site
Barry,
grandsoleil42.com is closed and the yacht for sale. The owner now got different project. I had some email communication with him earlier on.

I got a GS42, I can confirm that it is a fantastic yacht. We just did 10.8 knots in the Solent this weekend. This is a go-anywhere yacht. Hard to find any better yachts for ocean sailing. Live-aboard - please ask me within a few years.

The Volvo 2003T is not a bad engine. You should not believe everything you read on the web. The problem is Volvo. The engine is now 3 generation old. It is starting getting difficult getting some parts, or you can get them at a very high price. In remote places it is also difficult to get good Volvo Engineers. If your plans is live-aboard. I would recommend start saving up for a new engine. Your best fit would be a Volvo Penta D2-40. Several GS42 owners has upgraded.

Good luck.