GPS still having problems

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Going back to my last post re new GPS .

The GPS was fitted as per instruction, I was lead to believe by the company by connecting it to the Nmea on the S3 course computer that the sea talk would see it and so would all the instrument.

The problem I am having is as soon as the speed is turn on it show SOG but as soon as I turn on the chart plotter the display turn to --- and too on the chart plotter,
The plotter show lat and long so the GPS is working .

It seen that both plotter and speed are some how conflicting .

Need some help with this as it's driving me mad .

Thanks

Screenshot_20210802-195746.png

Daverw

Visit site
Is it an issue with have too many talkers feeding into your plotter and needing to multiplex them before

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I wouldn't connect it to the S3. Connect it to the plotter and disconnect the old GPS from the plotter, the plotter should pass GPS data to the ST network and to the S3.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I wouldn't connect it to the S3. Connect it to the plotter and disconnect the old GPS from the plotter, the plotter should pass GPS data to the ST network and to the S3.
As I understand it Paul ,if I connect it to the plotter , it would only send data to the other equipment when the plotter turned on and we very rarely turn it on unless the radar turned on .

Plus without pulling the boats to bits it be a night mare threating the wire through and getting it throught the stainless

The GPS as I understand it is a talker and the speed and plotter are listener and i can only have one talker but multi listeners so why the conflict?

Plus seatalk is seeing it as the SOG see it and the plotter see lat and long .
Surly they a way around it .

PaulRainbow

Visit site
As I understand it Paul ,if I connect it to the plotter , it would only send data to the other equipment when the plotter turned on and we very rarely turn it on unless the radar turned on .

Plus without pulling the boats to bits it be a night mare threating the wire through and getting it throught the stainless

The GPS as I understand it is a talker and the speed and plotter are listener and i can only have one talker but multi listeners so why the conflict?

Plus seatalk is seeing it as the SOG see it and the plotter see lat and long .
Surly they a way around it .

You have almost certainly created a data loop. Data from the GPS is fed to the S3 via NMEA, which passes that data to the Seatalk network, when you turn the plotter on the data goes to the plotter, but the plotter re-sends that data, so it goes around and around and around.

If you don't need the GPS to send data to the plotter you could fit a switch in the GPS power cable, turn it off when the plotter is on.

Does the plotter still have its own GPS working ? If so, disconnect it.

If the original plotter GPS is defunct, you could possible splice the new GPS NMEA wires to the old GPS cable and save running wiring all of the way to the plotter.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You have almost certainly created a data loop. Data from the GPS is fed to the S3 via NMEA, which passes that data to the Seatalk network, when you turn the plotter on the data goes to the plotter, but the plotter re-sends that data, so it goes around and around and around.

If you don't need the GPS to send data to the plotter you could fit a switch in the GPS power cable, turn it off when the plotter is on.

Does the plotter still have its own GPS working ? If so, disconnect it.

If the original plotter GPS is defunct, you could possible splice the new GPS NMEA wires to the old GPS cable and save running wiring all of the way to the plotter.
The old gps was a sea talk unit and when onto the S3 Seatalk , the old cable was used to mouse the new one and even then we has to pull part of the boat apart ,
I sure you had it Paul where stuff was fitted while the boat was being build add the 100 wire ties in impossible places :) .
A switch is a good idea but as long as the plotter turned off SOG works so the Plotter is acting as a switch if you like , it just mean once the Plotter on we lost SOG on the display and the chart Plotter,
If there no way around it I guess we just have to live with it, no big deal but if there some thing on board, I do like it to work .
It's 41C out here and has been for three day and for the next three days , no fun working on boats .
Thanks anyway Paul .

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The old gps was a sea talk unit and when onto the S3 Seatalk , the old cable was used to mouse the new one and even then we has to pull part of the boat apart ,

You can "add" Seatalk data anywhere on the system and it should work OK. Adding 0183 data can sometimes have undesirable results, as you have found. I recently fitted a replacement GPS to an older Raymarine plotter and it worked fine across all devices. I'm guessing that the plotter just passes the data out to ST devices, but because you're feeding 0183 data in, the plotter "thinks" this needs sending out again, hence the loop.

I sure you had it Paul where stuff was fitted while the boat was being build add the 100 wire ties in impossible places :) .

I get this all of the time, with some boats ait is physically impossible to swap one cable for another and it's sometimes impossible to even get a new cable through.

A switch is a good idea but as long as the plotter turned off SOG works so the Plotter is acting as a switch if you like , it just mean once the Plotter on we lost SOG on the display and the chart Plotter,

The switch idea was really for if you still had the original GPS connected to the plotter. A workaround might be to connect the new GPS to the plotter and the S3, but fit a switch the NMEA + wire to the S3. With the plotter on you turn the switch off and everything should work as expected. With the plotter off and the switch on, you get SOG without the plotter using power. Obviously mean some work getting a cable to the plotter.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Paul if and when the temp drop to one that don't mean I have to spend a good part of the day in the sea to cool down ( NO guys being a liveaboard in the sun isn't all about drinking beer lol) and by some hope that I can get a wire to the plotter ( 4 sharp L bends in Stainless tubes Mmmm) ,
What wire to I take to where ?

Looking at the manual this morning it seen the plotter got 5 connection, seatalk, radar,NMEA to instrument, hsb3 ,and the power cable .
The power cable ( I assume I need to use ) has 6 wires , power in v-v+ , NMEA in 1 ( 2 cables ) and NMEA in 2 ( 2 cables )
Am I right in saying I would need to take the GPS ( black yellow shield ) to the v- of the power cable ? Or do it go to the NMEA in - ?
and the red to the v+ power cable .
Which would leave me the brown from the GPS and that would go to one of the two cables in the (NMEA a in 1 )
Also I am in thinking that once the plotter is on , the Raymarine speed display will show SOG ?

Hope you can understand what I wrote .

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi Paul if and when the temp drop to one that don't mean I have to spend a good part of the day in the sea to cool down ( NO guys being a liveaboard in the sun isn't all about drinking beer lol) and by some hope that I can get a wire to the plotter ( 4 sharp L bends in Stainless tubes Mmmm) ,
What wire to I take to where ?

Looking at the manual this morning it seen the plotter got 5 connection, seatalk, radar,NMEA to instrument, hsb3 ,and the power cable .
The power cable ( I assume I need to use ) has 6 wires , power in v-v+ , NMEA in 1 ( 2 cables ) and NMEA in 2 ( 2 cables )
Am I right in saying I would need to take the GPS ( black yellow shield ) to the v- of the power cable ? Or do it go to the NMEA in - ?
and the red to the v+ power cable .
Which would leave me the brown from the GPS and that would go to one of the two cables in the (NMEA a in 1 )
Also I am in thinking that once the plotter is on , the Raymarine speed display will show SOG ?

Hope you can understand what I wrote .

The Red will be +12V, black yellow shield to the - 12V and NMEA OUT - on the plotter power cable, GPS brown to NMEA + OUT on the plotter power cable.