Good youtuber

GunfleetSand

Visit site
Barry Perrins aka Adventures of an old sea dog is so genuine and it’s been a pleasure to watch him find himself and improve as a sailor. I’ve learnt a fair amount of perhaps things I’ll never need to know but have liked and subbed as in some small way this will help, and with Sailing Wave Rover when I watched him cope with a knock down in what seemed like suddenly a tiny boat in the middle of nowhere yes I bought him a Patreon beer.

38mess

Visit site
Been watching Barry for a few years, good guy. Haven't seen his most recent stuff, I gather he's in New Zealand now, thinking of swallowing the anchor.

Mark-1

Visit site
Im sorry I dont understand what your point is...

My point is he hasn't extensively modified his boat. It's basically the same boat we might charter/buy. Say, Roger Taylor or the guy with the Contessa above did significant structural work on their boats rather than using off the peg kit. Rightly or wrongly I respect the 'stock boat' thing.

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
Harry Dwyer is another one worth a look for his Round Britain in Small Rib series, oh, and the cardboard motorboat was fun!

Agree, he's brilliant. A first class presenter and excellent production. I surprised myself, didn't think it would really be for me, but it is...

Simon__

Visit site
I like Patrick’s videos. I believe you can see the difference between those who make videos with genuine passion to share experiences and those looking to sustain themselves. Patrick’s videos are much more purposeful, contain sailing (which not all “sailing” blogs do!), and have a pay off. I feel the “professional” videos have a lot of fluff and little pay off and, to be honest, are rather boring like the Kardashians / Made in Chelsea format which they try to emulate.

GHA

Visit site
To be fair producing decent content and then getting people to pay for a life sailing in warm weather is a pretty good trick.
Not really a trick though , for any kind of decent return it's pretty much a full time job, often with editors back on land. Don't think many people realize just how much work goes into publishing any halfway decent content every single week.

[178529]

Visit site
Not really a trick though , for any kind of decent return it's pretty much a full time job, often with editors back on land. Don't think many people realize just how much work goes into publishing any halfway decent content every single week.
I wasn't trying to denigrate it I just think it's a wonderful way to get that worklife balance.

My own favorites are Patrick Laine and Sail Life where Mads is doing the most fantastic rebuild on a warrior 38. 4 years of perfectionism going into that boat. Probably another two to go .

Babylon

Visit site
I have to be honest: spending any time watching other people sailing on YT is a complete waste of my life. Then again, I've had appalling value out of my modest flat screen TV as I barely manage to watch more than an hour or two a week on average!

Must dash, got things to make, letters to write, people to converse with! ;)

lustyd

Visit site
Ah the modern equivelent of burning books. Good on you for shutting yourself off from the world and outside knowledge. Young people have nothing useful to say anyway, and the older people on YT are only there for the Patreon money anyway! :ROFLMAO:

Babylon

Visit site
You think that knowledge is only available from a screen? Why do you assume that I think young people have nothing useful to say? And you haven't the foggiest idea about how much disparate experience of the world I have - of which my sailing interest is only an ongoing fraction.

lustyd

Visit site
Why do you assume that nothing on YouTube or a screen is worth your time? You're limiting your available sources of knowledge and seem proud of that fact for some reason. Young people use YouTube the way old people used books, so cutting off screens as a source of knowledge is effectively cutting off knowledge from the younger generation, along with their life views. Yes, youy may have experience, but that's all from your perspective and it's nice to open yourself to other views for personal growth from time to time. Or not, you do you however you like.

Babylon

Visit site
Its not a young-person vs old-person issue. I'm only something called middle-aged and despite this senile disadvantage I have used YouTube fairly extensively to learn about all sorts of things I'm interested in or wish to learn about, usually at a technical level, and sometimes also to share the experiences or achievements of people I actually know in real life. But - if you'll allow me to clarify - what I'm saying is that I have little interest in subscribing to a YT channel which follows some random person's life on a boat, discoursing upon their travails with a diesel engine or telling us how they feel during a spell of whippy weather, etc. If I want that then I'd prefer to read it in book form, but to be fair I grew up in a country which had no TV network at all, then we had no TV set when we later came to live in the UK. (People are horrified when I now tell them this, they think it amounted to child-cruelty, that the lack of knowledge of the latest Dr Who or Top of the Pops episode meant we were socially excluded from our school-mates! But in reality it was a blessing: I spent my free time reading, making all sorts of things from scratch, and roaming all over the metropolis, and at school my chums were interesting people who also didn't care to follow the followers following the followers, etc!)

However... I've now re-visited my original post on this topic, and on reflection I'd like to emphasise that I was only talking for myself (and maybe also a few other eccentric losers who also march to the beat of their own drum), not prescribing what normal people of any age should or shouldn't do.

Babylon

Visit site
PS: Of course the tremendous irony of the whole YT sailing thing is that it glorifies the very same land-based cr@p that going off on long seagoing voyages is (or was previously always) supposed to be all about!

lustyd

Visit site
You're right, there's only one reason to set sail, and coincidentally it's the one you like. Try opening yourself to new things occasionally, I promise there's a whole world out there and you might even like some of it.
Of course, if you prefer to stay closed in your little world then fair enough, everybody's free to wear sunscreen!

I do like that you recognise there is irony here, and it tickles me that you completely missed it.

doug748

Visit site
My point is he hasn't extensively modified his boat. It's basically the same boat we might charter/buy. Say, Roger Taylor or the guy with the Contessa above did significant structural work on their boats rather than using off the peg kit. Rightly or wrongly I respect the 'stock boat' thing.

You might have looked at these people? If not check it out:

They come across as pretty straight. A very ordinary 6 grand boat, had some crappy luck like 4 months locked down near Paris, yet still smiling and now sailing the South of France.

Babylon

Visit site
You're right, there's only one reason to set sail, and coincidentally it's the one you like. Try opening yourself to new things occasionally, I promise there's a whole world out there and you might even like some of it.
Of course, if you prefer to stay closed in your little world then fair enough, everybody's free to wear sunscreen!

I do like that you recognise there is irony here, and it tickles me that you completely missed it.

Why go you insist on attacking and gratuitously insulting me? I merely expressed my personal preference for not following You Tube content of the sort being discussed on this thread, and gave my reasons why - and also self-depricatingly lightly took the piss out of myself. Yet you've taken the opportunity to rudely IMPOSE your insistence that by choosing to do other things with my time that my world is closed and lightless.

Do you feel threatened by people who don't conform to your own world-view? Is that why you resort to belittling them?

Last edited:

cherod

Visit site
Yep , i watch some but only in free time , i much prefer to be sorting my own boat to watching others at play / doing what i hope to be doing eventually .

cherod

Visit site

Why would you assume that because someone does not watch a lot of flirtatous nonsense on youtube that they are not open to new things , there is a whole world out there beyond youtube .