GOOD NEWS for those with Residence in EU

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
This should be self explanatory. My question follows their reply just received. I have highlighted the good bit.

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

We hope you find this information useful. Please contact us again if you have other questions about the European Union, its activities or institutions.

------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am a UK national and have dual residence, UK and permanent residence status in Portugal, where I understand I can stay without any effect on the 90 day Schengen rule for visiting other States. However, if I drive to Portugal from the UK, my passport will no doubt be stamped on arrival in France but not again (no border checks) until I again return to France many months later on my way home. At that point, it will appear I have overstayed my 90 day welcome. This will of course apply to all those with residence status who drive through other Schengen States so, how will it be handled? Regards, Graham.​

Refueler

Visit site
I will not say ...... Told You So

I got bombed out for saying this was most likely the case on an earlier thread .... I'm a UK passport holder with permanent EU state residence (Latvia within Schengen).

Graham376

Visit site
I have NEVER had my passport stamped when entering France, is it different because of your residence status?

I don't know how old you are or whether you traveled around Europe before the Common Market but, I certainly remember passports being stamped and car green card being produced at every border. There have been suggestions that the same may apply after we leave and the EU are considering introducing tourist visas.

Graham376

Visit site
I will not say ...... Told You So

I got bombed out for saying this was most likely the case on an earlier thread .... I'm a UK passport holder with permanent EU state residence (Latvia within Schengen).

Yes, you were correct. The argument was because what you were saying at the time went against the advice everyone else in various countries was receiving and, until receiving the email this morning from EU, none of us could find anything published.

Refueler

Visit site
Yes, you were correct. The argument was because what you were saying at the time went against the advice everyone else in various countries was receiving and, until receiving the email this morning from EU, none of us could find anything published.

Cheers .... actually I think it was more that I did not 'toe the forumites line' and just agree !! I do tend to be a bit difficult that way !! ;)

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
I don't know how old you are or whether you traveled around Europe before the Common Market but, I certainly remember passports being stamped and car green card being produced at every border. There have been suggestions that the same may apply after we leave and the EU are considering introducing tourist visas.

Ah, too young to remember the Common Market :rolleyes:

nortada

Visit site
This should be self explanatory. My question follows their reply just received. I have highlighted the good bit.

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

We hope you find this information useful. Please contact us again if you have other questions about the European Union, its activities or institutions.

------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am a UK national and have dual residence, UK and permanent residence status in Portugal, where I understand I can stay without any effect on the 90 day Schengen rule for visiting other States. However, if I drive to Portugal from the UK, my passport will no doubt be stamped on arrival in France but not again (no border checks) until I again return to France many months later on my way home. At that point, it will appear I have overstayed my 90 day welcome. This will of course apply to all those with residence status who drive through other Schengen States so, how will it be handled? Regards, Graham.​

Well done Graham for your perseverance. A landmark ruling of significant proportion.

V1701

Visit site
That's great news indeed, hoping they now extend transition so I can get self & boat to Portugal to get temporary residency having now managed to cancel my year off this year...

Graham376

Visit site
That's great news indeed, hoping they now extend transition so I can get self & boat to Portugal to get temporary residency having now managed to cancel my year off this year...

If you will have some holiday time due this year once travel is allowed, it may be possible to get residence by presenting a marina contract for maybe a month. No-one at the town hall (Camara) will be looking to see if the boat is actually in the marina;)

nortada

Visit site
If you will have some holiday time due this year once travel is allowed, it may be possible to get residence by presenting a marina contract for maybe a month. No-one at the town hall (Camara) will be looking to see if the boat is actually in the marina;)

From experience, we didn't even have to present our contract, just pitched up with our passports and a completed application.

Oh yes - and €15 per person.

V1701

Visit site
From experience, we didn't even have to present our contract, just pitched up with our passports and a completed application.

Noted and I thank you...

Graham376

Visit site

Can't remember if I've mentioned this before. Many years ago, when they were alive, we used to stay with in laws and no problem parking but, whenever we visited s-i-l, we had to feed meters so, being tight, decided to get a residents parking permit. As we didn't have any utility bills in our name, we had to produce two independent Portuguese citizen witnesses, to swear we lived there, which of course we didn't. Anyway, we dragged an aged aunt with Alzheimers along, plus another old dear who would say anything for a free lunch. Got the parking permit and 5 year residence :)

nortada

Visit site
Can't remember if I've mentioned this before. Many years ago, when they were alive, we used to stay with in laws and no problem parking but, whenever we visited s-i-l, we had to feed meters so, being tight, decided to get a residents parking permit. As we didn't have any utility bills in our name, we had to produce two independent Portuguese citizen witnesses, to swear we lived there, which of course we didn't. Anyway, we dragged an aged aunt with Alzheimers along, plus another old dear who would say anything for a free lunch. Got the parking permit and 5 year residence :)

And it’s got even easier - or perhaps we look like your 2 Portuguese witnesses of old. Alzheimer’s - can’t even remember what that is ?