Good news for anyone heading for Fowey.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Fowey Harbour has added a 180m extension to its walk ashore pontoon berthing.

Collaboration brings economy boost to Fowey Harbour - Marine Industry News

WOW looks fantasic ; agree with the walk ashore facilities being provided , they certain should encourage onshore Buying traffic ; just wish that our Teignmouth Harbour Commisioners had the foresight to add such a facility to our Harbour ; we have a 'short stay' (20 min I recall) short pontoon which is mainly used by local harbour Pleasure and Angling trips ; we do have 'afloat pontoons' but no shore access in without a Dinghy ;

lustyd

Visit site
The story implies they’re already full of berth holders though. I’d have thought they’d be more useful as visitor pontoons?

Ingwe

Visit site
It doesn't mention where they are though.. am currently sat on boat in Fowey and there are certainly no new pontoons on the town side. We kayaked up the river today though and am pretty sure that these new pontoons are at Mixtow, so on the other side of the river and a good half a mile up the river from Fowey itself, so won't be of much interest to visitors and apart from earning the harbour masters more money I can't see them benefitting the town.

mainsail1

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotlan
Visit site
The great thing about Fowey is they have very helpful harbour staff and they have a short stay walk ashore pontoon near to the town which is free (yes, free) for two hours during the day and can be used overnight with some limitations. It is easy to walk into town from here and the pontoon has water and electricity. I was very impressed on the two occasions I went there this year.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
It doesn't mention where they are though.. am currently sat on boat in Fowey and there are certainly no new pontoons on the town side. We kayaked up the river today though and am pretty sure that these new pontoons are at Mixtow, so on the other side of the river and a good half a mile up the river from Fowey itself, so won't be of much interest to visitors and apart from earning the harbour masters more money I can't see them benefitting the town.
My son is also in Fowey tonight and says the same, no new pontoons off the town.

Fimacca

Visit site
Been in there 3 times this year, nice spot.
I don't think there would be enough space this year whatever they did down that way. May be quiet next year when folk go abroad again.......

Tomaret

Visit site
Been in there 3 times this year, nice spot.
I don't think there would be enough space this year whatever they did down that way. May be quiet next year when folk go abroad again.......
But won’t we get the French, the Belgians and the Dutch who are conspicuous by their absence this year?

NPMR

Visit site
The lifeboat pontoon has a walk ashore ability.

Ostensibly, no stays of more than 2 hours allowed, but seems to be universally ignored by larger craft.

Overnights available after 18.00hrs until 08.00hrs. Again universally ignored by larger craft, who seem to arrive about 16.00 and wander away mid morning next day, without hassle from the harbour staff. It is a superb facility. Fowey are to be commended for allowing it but it needs better policing otherwise a few are spoiling it for others.

doug748

Visit site

Ostensibly, no stays of more than 2 hours allowed, but seems to be universally ignored by larger craft.

Overnights available after 18.00hrs until 08.00hrs. Again universally ignored by larger craft, who seem to arrive about 16.00 and wander away mid morning next day, without hassle from the harbour staff. It is a superb facility. Fowey are to be commended for allowing it but it needs better policing otherwise a few are spoiling it for others.

Yes, I would agree that it needs to be better looked after. A 50% premium on the mooring rates would sort it out "Are you staying overnight sir?" :giggle:

In general though I am not in favour of more alongside mooring at the centre of places like Fowey, Salcombe or the Yealm. The room is finite, these developments are often ugly and favour the lazy and well heeled.

doug748

Visit site
Not in the lower harbour but if you go much further up, to Wiseman's Reach, there is room where the moorings run out and just before the broken line across the river that indicates a fishery:

1628264427116.png

I have never anchored there myself, mainly because there are always moorings free up there, including some allocated for visitors just beyond Wiseman's point.

There are a few anchorages off the entrance the biggest being Lantic Bay which is ok in an offshore wind, provided there is not much swell.

Fimacca

Visit site
Yes, I would agree that it needs to be better looked after. A 50% premium on the mooring rates would sort it out "Are you staying overnight sir?" :giggle:

In general though I am not in favour of more alongside mooring at the centre of places like Fowey, Salcombe or the Yealm. The room is finite, these developments are often ugly and favour the lazy and well heeled.

I agree, so You would love the recent english harbourmasters meetings then, where pontoons were recommended over swing or trot moorings. Less ongoing costs for authorities, less damage claim, and more income apparently.......

colhel

Visit site

On our one and only visit a few weeks ago I radioed the Harbour Patrol who offered us the Lifeboat pontoon with no time restriction.