Good Boatyards in Gosport!

G

Hi,

I've just bought (2 weeks ago) a secondhand Etap 26 which is now moored in Portsmouth Harbour. As the season is drawing to a close I'm thinking about where I should store her for the winter. Somewhere in Gosport would be most convienient for me and therefore I would appreciate people's opinions on the boatyards that are located there. I want to have some fibreglass work done, so it is not just storage facilities but also the quality of the yards work I'm interested in.

Many thanks in advance,

David

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Campers used to have very limited space ashore. Don't know whether that's changed with the redevelopment. Plus it's now owned by Nautor who might rather look down their nose at an Etap!

Wicormarine at Fareham looked good to me last year when I was asking myself the same question. I think they can organise to undertake work. 01329 327112

tony_brighton

Visit site
Rafted up alongside a couple in Lymington a couple of yrs ago - they swore they would never go back to Wicormarine because of the lack of service.

Try Gosport Boatyard instead - they've always been very good.

G

I've used Quay Lane Boatyard for the last couple of years. They encourage DIYers and have electricity and water for no extra charge. The owners are laid back and friendly and very helpful.
Your boat would certainly not be looked down on , mine is a 22ft Invader and they are quite happy with that. Also , and I realise that this won't be important for you high rollers but its quite reasonably priced!

G

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've phoned both Quay Lane and Gosport Boatyards but they are both full so I'm on a waiting list in case someone drops out. I also contacted Port Solent and they have plenty of space, unsurprisingly given their location, so I think I might be going there! From the information I got on the phone there seems to be a number of companies up at Port Solent who could do some fibreglass work, does anyone have any experience of any of them.

Thanks again.

David

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
That's unreliable hearsay from a couple who may well not have deserved to lay up at Wicor. What do they mean lack of service? The yard has everything including a resident engineer. Having overwintered a wooden boat there it is, in my opinion, one of the most efficient in the South, run by a highly experienced yachtsman. But he does not suffer fools gladly. And expects bills to be paid promptly.