Golden Globe Race 2018

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
NO Sleep for Many!
Apr 30, 2015 07:58 pm
donmcintyre
It has been a hectic first week following the official launch of the 2018 Golden Globe Race.

The story has gone viral on yachting web sites around the world and is yet to make the print editions. The launch video has had over 4000 views and I have received too many emails from over 50 interested sailors from every continent accept Antarctica! Many are very upset. The most common accusation on the second email is that they cannot sleep anymore and it is all my fault! The next , that I have changed their life! Many of my friends are now hiding as they know deep down they have to do this race!

I am happy to say the response has been nothing short of HUGE. When you have an idea close to your heart you never really know what others will think. Now I know. When the likes of 80 year old UK yachting journalist supremo Bob Fisher states publically to the world. Quote “I can only make excuses. Would love to do it but my work schedule goes past the starting date! Otherwise, in a heartbeat.” and Herb McCormick of Cruising World magazine says.. Quote “sounds like the right idea at the right time” I guess the race is OK! So I smile…and what do they say?

Hello,
My name is Roy Hxxxxxx and I have been waiting for this race my entire life. I would very much like to send in an application for the chance to be a part of this. Sailing and the ocean are a huge part of me and it has been my dream to compete just like Knox-Johnston and Moitessier did. Is there anything I can do to help with the application process? It is a simply brilliant idea to bring the sport back to its roots. The world needs more simplicity.
Thank you very much for you time.
Cheers,
Roy

In just seven days we have 16 confirmed letters of intent from sailors, with deposits ready to sign on when applications officially open on July 1st with the release of the Pre-Notice of Race. All are without exception credible sailors, including two women and two national hero’s with world solo sailing records to their credit. They are young and old, so I guess now I have some answers to my earlier questions just a week ago! WE absolutely have a race!

Of the others out there that I have been talking with, there is great excitement. There are a few 16 year old sailors now making plans, others trying to determine how and when to restructure their lives to become part of this crazy dream. I wish you could read the outpouring of personal stories from sailors who now finally have an reason and goal for their long held ambitions to sail solo around the world. So many are just like me. Some are worried about missing their kids, others about not being unable to use a satellite phone….some even not liking the “Clunkers”..but this adventure is only for those who dare to face something very special, and have real passion, something that is close to repeating history. It is for those who know there are excuses..but do not listen.

One of my close friends and very famous French solo sailor who is entering considers it great fun to sail these “petit snails” around the world, while another Australian friend who has entered may call his yacht “180”. He has calculated at it’s slowest, it will still be 180 times faster than a quick snail!

The Golden Globe will be an amazing race and true adventure. Including me, we are now 20 Golden Globe sailors.
The family grows. Now I will have to consider extending the fleet beyond 20, but how far can I go?? Will some miss the bus? That is the next question. Interesting times ahead.

Don
2018 GGR Founder

TO RECEIVE THE LATEST SIMPLE UPDATES as they happen PLEASE “like” THE McINTYRE ADVENTURE FACEBOOK PAGE

Latest additions and answers to questions re: 2018 GGR PRELIMINARY INFORMATION

1 All spinnakers are now open to sponsor signage.
2 Spinnaker poles can be any length. But must have two.
3 2 x 1 meter sponsor panel on mainsail is for one or more sponsors.
4 One headsail may be hand signed by supporters group individuals.
5 Max 11 sails for one mast 13 for two masts.
6 No spinnaker socks or furling spinnakers or code zero allowed.
7 No rubber band spinnaker stops only natural fibre wool.
8 Sails are counted on each boat at start. Every sail missing at end of race incurs a full one day time penalty.
9 All underwater profiles to be as original specifications from the moulds. No modification of rudder or keel shapes or prop apertures etc.
10 Any propeller is allowed but must make original design speed.
11 Minimum 20 gallon of fuel and maximum fuel to be as originally designed or 40 Gallons whichever is greater.
12 Now minimum 160 watt at 15v solar panels compulsory, wind and water generators allowed.
13 GGR will not adopt all ISAF cat O requirements, but will for cockpit, hatches, companionways, bilge pumps and most safety requirements. Only collision bulkhead required. Fine details announced in Pre-Notice of Race.
14 OE32 Yacht now approved for GGR but not bowsprit model yet..

co256

THE WEBSTE WILL BE UPDATED 1st JUNE.

The other day I had an interesting discussion with a friend about the unbelievable response to the launch of the Golden Globe Race. I was trying to quantify what had happened, or should I say what is happening…suddenly I realised for the first time I had tried to summarise it. I had always believed there would be interest in the race, but will leave the theory behind that for another day, because for whatever reason the reality is stunning. It is a continuous line growing every day like I never imagined. Now I know sailors are craving simplicity and real challenge in adventure sailing.

What makes all this so increasable is the contrast of sailors and their reasons for wanting to do this and the different objectives at all levels within the race. There is no one solid trend in anything. The diversity is across the board. The Italians have the biggest contingent, but we are now represented in 14 different countries. Australia, Brazil, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Sweden and the USA. That in itself has not been lost on potential sponsors for the event, another exciting prospect.

Our fleet of little “snails” as the French contingent call them will be pushed hard, so we have a race for sure. It is a complete mix of sailors now involved and some are out to win at all cost, which is an irony considering the concepts. Yet diversity is colour by another word. Deep inside I know these racers also long to enjoy the ride. Winning is just in their blood. Some have in the past received sponsorship millions that run into double digits for one race! Certainly there is a big money leveller that comes in to play with the Golden Globe Race. These now fully funded campaigns cannot give them a huge advantage as the rules are clear. Money may make it a little easier, but not win the race.

It is mostly men who are up for it, with only five women in for the challenge, even line honours, in the process also in the running to collect the “First lady” trophy, recognising Australian Kay Cottee’s achievement as the first woman ever to sail solo non-stop and unassisted around the Globe in 1988.

Experience varies from the most serious international competitors in the solo racing arena, to one of the fastest ever men to circumnavigate the globe on a fully crewed Multihull. We have crack Class Mini sailors , multiple Vendee globe racers, sailors who have sailed 100,000 miles mostly solo, but never been in a race before ever! and yet another who has 300,000 miles on the water. At the other end we have cruisers, club racers and some with just a few hundred miles!

A rally for old blokes , Ok I will say it “like me”! it is NOT. The average age is in the middle. We start at 16 and go all the way to the other side of 70, with a big group in their late 20’s to mid 30’s. Then it shoots to the 50’s. The big question will be the yacht they choose. They are all thinking about this. Many have already decided. The personal reason for sailing will lead the final decision. I don’t want to give the game away, but I can say that at least three Tradwind 35’s will line up, which is fun for me.

I smile when I hear the story from some who can’t do the race while inside they ponder? Some must have their sat phone..others fear they may die without AIS..and a few could not go without their IPod, scoffing at Cassettes, while others could not get their partners onside! I do not have kids but the only reason I could feel for were some in love with theirs! I can understand that is the way of the world. The thing that really impressed me is when a sailor loves his beautiful boat that will not meet the Golden Globe Race rule, so they are buying new ones, or are totally restructuring their lives as they have to , while others new the instant they heard of the race it was for them.

Have you have seen or ever met the Vendee Globe boats, or the Barcelona World Race boats in port and seen the skippers? It is all action, excitement and a real Buzz. Truly amazing. It is the peak of the sport. They all look and feel similar, the boats and the skippers, just a few little differences which is understandable with these top world class athletes. Their personal stories sound familiar. They are the best of the best chasing each other.

Now for just a minute, imagine the last two weeks in Falmouth before the start of the Golden Globe Race on June 14 2018. Imagine the conversations, the atmosphere, the jokes and joy between the skippers young and old, the rich and poor with a colour of characters from all walks of life flowing from the Golden Globe Race marina. They chase their personal dream. Each is an individual. The back stories all different. The skippers are all different. Their reasoning is strong and their desire great, yet what do they seek?. This Golden Globe Race is like no other. It is all about dreams and life and there are now 46 sailors lined up, all hoping for a ticket after just five weeks!

If you are an interested entrant, check the web site on the 1st of JUNE for the latest information.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I was exchanging emails with Pete Hill the other day and he was stating his amazement that people would pay £7000 to enter a race with a restrictions on the type of boat instead of just setting off in 2018 for no entry and no rules as per the Jester Challenge. He agrees with the spirit of the Golden Globe Challenge and hopes to enter that if he has a suitable boat at the time.

ScallywagII

Visit site
The race sounds interesting, but I wonder if it is relevant to the Jester challenge, for craft under 30'. no entry fee or prize money, corporate sponsorship, etc. Anyone taking part in the Golden Globe 2018 cannot also be in the Jester challenge that year. I share John and Pete's view re entry fees. I wouldn't pay to sail around the Isle of Wight, I can do it for free anytime.

Clearly there will be a lot of exchanges of forum posts. I feel that a new GGR forum would be appropriate, leaving this one clear for the non-commercial Jester challenges. YBW would surely oblige. I intend no disrespect, and wish all the best for the race, and all those who take part, indeed all those who go down to the sea in ships of all sizes.

Len

ScallywagII

Visit site
John, apologies, my remarks were about the commercial GG race, not your challenge. The challenge is clearly derived from the Jester challenges and run along similar lines. Many Jesters will be interested in the challenge, even if not interested in participating, for whatever reason. The GGR is a different thing altogether. The similarity of name is unfortunate.

Len

co256

John,

Have you put a website together for the GGC 2018 ??? If you want to promote your original idea and gather some serious interest it might be the way forward.

Turns out your website was the top result when searching "Golden Globe Challenge" on Yahoo!

Guy.

Last edited:

co256

It is exciting to have signed Canadian company EGGPLANT TV as our front line Executive Production team responsible for the official Cinematic Documentary, a 15 part International TV series and 40 Online weekly video updates. Cale Tompkins and Christian Hurst flew in to London with a film crew to start filming and interviewing entrants that day. Plans are to release a short Official GGR Trailer in February.
A big new addition to the GGR is the introduction of EGGPLANT on-board Digital cameras and tethered drones that will only be with a select few entrants. A decision will be made in the last six weeks before the start to place systems on up to 10 boats. These will be state of the art and the vision captured on them will never be released to any news outlet, or TV network anywhere in the world. It will only ever be seen on the official Egg Plant productions distributed worldwide and online at the official Race web site. We call these the “Big Brother” cameras. The individual entrants cannot use this footage, so they will still be shooting their own 35mm Film pictures and super 8 movies.
The big question on everyone’s mind is who gets these cameras…and the answer is simple. We do not know yet and no one will, until 6 weeks out. A decision will only be made then.

co256

Found this at the end of an article about Jessica Watson and Don Macintyre's Ella's Pink Lady...

"Keep the dream alive and remember the Jester Globe in 2013. It’s an S&S 34 one design, solo, around the world race! No rules or entry fee. Just turn up."

I wonder what happened to that idea?!