Golden Globe Race 2018

oldbilbo

Visit site
Hmmm. Interesting......

To create a unique “RETRO” non-stop solo around the world yacht race, in the image of the original Sunday Times “Golden Globe” that draws sailors back to the age of “one sailor, one boat” facing the great oceans of the world.

I'm stuck with who I am, so let's have a thought for suitable 'RETRO' boats.

Let me start the ball rolling with a Rival 38.

Rival382.jpg

If that seems rather too 'Retro', I'm sure other ideas will emerge. FWIW, should I still be able to swing a leg ( or two ) over a guardwire and should by some misfortune a workable Rival 38 fall into my lap, I'm up for that!

Next....?

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
If you wanted to do it, why wouldn't you just crack on and do it, instead of hoping to be invited, then if you're one of the select chosen few, kowtowing to some arbitrary rules? (cassette players, no CD's??)

The only significant restriction is no GPS, are they serious?

I already have the right boat (same designer as Suhaili) but, if I ever want to go round the world, I won't be going cap in hand to some hyped-up sponsored marketing machine, or have my boat plastered in the logo of some faceless merchant bank either thanks.

There was no "by invitation only" nonsense in 1968 by the way, the competitors consisted of everybody who was circumnavigating in that year..

Last edited:

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
Hmmm. Interesting......

I'm stuck with who I am, so let's have a thought for suitable 'RETRO' boats.

Let me start the ball rolling with a Rival 38.

Rival382.jpg

If that seems rather too 'Retro', I'm sure other ideas will emerge. FWIW, should I still be able to swing a leg ( or two ) over a guardwire and should by some misfortune a workable Rival 38 fall into my lap, I'm up for that!

Next....?

Approval for Production yacht types for entry into the Golden Globe Race will be at the sole discretion of the Race Organisers. They must be:

• Of fibre reinforced plastic construction.
• Designed prior to 1988 and have a minimum series of 20 yachts built from one builder.
• Have a hull length of between 32ft and 36ft. Bowsprits, wind vanes and outboard rudders, boomkins, pushpits and pulpits are not measured.
• Have full-length keels with rudders attached to the trailing edge.
• A minimum design displacement is 6,200kg.

co256

If you wanted to do it, why wouldn't you just crack on and do it, instead of hoping to be invited, then if you're one of the select chosen few, kowtowing to some arbitrary rules? (cassette players, no CD's??)

The only significant restriction is no GPS, are they serious?

I already have the right boat (same designer as Suhaili) but, if I ever want to go round the world, I won't be going cap in hand to some hyped-up sponsored marketing machine, or have my boat plastered in the logo of some faceless merchant bank either thanks.

There was no "by invitation only" nonsense in 1968 by the way, the competitors consisted of everybody who was circumnavigating in that year..

Sponsorship is allowed and may assist and support an entry in any way, provided a sponsor supplement fee of £5,500 is paid. NO sponsors logos, other than normal trade marks, are to be displayed anywhere on the yacht or sails other than on one spinnaker and on a mainsail panel no larger than 2 meters x 1 meter. Sponsors names may be applied to the yacht hull, in consistent Arial type, black (or white) letters, max. 7.5 cm high, directly below the gunwale on each side of the boat.
An entrant may place only his or her official web site, or sponsor web site on the boom and boom cover, centred, for half it’s length, in plain contrasting Arial letters, no larger than 15 cm high. The name of the yacht may reflect that of a sponsor, but the name may only be applied in letters no higher than 15 cm.
Any entry seen to be supported by a sponsor or equipment supplier, in any capacity, and in any form of media, before or during the event, who has not previously paid the Sponsor Supplement, will be charged a 100% Sponsor surcharge (£11,000) or be withdrawn from the Race.

co256

Insurance?!

I would like to see a quote for this...

"Insurance. All competitors must carry at least £ 5 million of Public Liability insurance whilst in UK waters and during the Race."

Wonder if SAGA or Haven Knox-Johnston would quote???

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
I would like to see a quote for this...

"Insurance. All competitors must carry at least £ 5 million of Public Liability insurance whilst in UK waters and during the Race."

Wonder if SAGA or Haven Knox-Johnston would quote???

Best of British with that one!

Neither Joshua or Suhaili, to name but two, would be eligible, nor would at least half the 1968 skippers..

If I hadn't found Marihona I would have a Tradewind etc anyway, will be watching with great interest!

Thanks for posting it Co256

Last edited:

Triassic

Visit site
I wonder just what they would do if you decided to comply with the spirit of the event, kit yourself out with a suitable boat and equipment that met all of their specifications, and set sail on the same day from Falmouth without being "invited" or otherwise complying with any of their "rules". What are they going to do, pretend you don't exist?

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
I wonder just what they would do if you decided to comply with the spirit of the event, kit yourself out with a suitable boat and equipment that met all of their specifications, and set sail on the same day from Falmouth without being "invited" or otherwise complying with any of their "rules". What are they going to do, pretend you don't exist?

Well, I think that's pretty much why the Sunday Times, the 1968 sponsors, accepted entries from anyone setting off in summer or autumn (which they had to, to catch the summer in the Southern Ocean), so as not to get upstaged by "unofficial" competitors.

You would not be eligible for the supposed £75k prize money either. Although it's all hypothetical to me from my cosy bunk in Falmouth..

edited to add, Wiki says: The Sunday Times refused to sponsor R. K-J, because they thought he was least likely to win ;) and he went downmarket to the farsighted Sunday Mirror..

Last edited:

co256

You would not be eligible for the supposed £75k prize money either. Although it's all hypothetical to me from my cosy bunk in Falmouth..

edited to add, Wiki says: The Sunday Times refused to sponsor R. K-J, because they thought he was least likely to win ;) and he went downmarket to the farsighted Sunday Mirror..[/QUOTE]

Which makes John Apps "Golden Globe Challenge" a very attractive alternative!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I tried to raise some interest a few years ago for an anyone can enter, free entry , no rules, challenge after the spirit of the Jester Challenge. But while there were a number of people interested we didn't really get any serious challengers as far as I am aware.

I agree let's just turn up at Falmouth on 14 June 2018 and go for it in whatever boat we feel personally confident can make it.

http://goldenglobechallenge.webs.com/aboutus.htm

co256

2018 Golden Globe Race UPDATE No. 1 In only three days from the official 2018 GGR announcement we have over 3000 views of the race video clip, over 40 emails from interested sailors and 10 confirmed requests for invitations to compete (on July 1st when the pre-Notice of Race is issued), including one of the biggest names and record holders in solo sailing in France.(3 Italians, 1 UK, 2 France -including our first lady, 1 Brazil, 1 Spain, 1 South Africa and 1 Australia! me) Many others around the world are contemplating decisions in the weeks ahead . Incredibly NO emails, or contact from any other UK sailor?..So I ask …“who is protecting the honour of Sir Robin Knox Johnston and Suhaili ”??...Just my friend Chris Jacks? Hmm..looks like we have a race!!.

tcm

Visit site
Seems a bit knobbish really. I see their point about it being in the spirit of the original but .... no AIS (for example) doesn't seem that bright an idea. Twill be more than a shame if stuff happens that wouldn't have happened IF modern gear had been allowed, i think...

Other threads that may be of interest