Going through locks single handed?

Ryanlion

Visit site
I have read that some lock keepers don’t like boats going through locks solo (only one person on board). I plan to frequently go through locks solo, so am I likely to get any grief from the lock keepers, and is there any specific ruling that says boats must have at least two people on board to assist at locks?

jct1981

Visit site
Likewise, never been a problem. Often do mention to the lockie on the way in that I'm solo, as if heading upstream can be fun to throw lines up that high, and they always assist.

I've always had bow & stern lines prepared, rather than being in a tangled mess. The only requirement for locks, I believe, are both lines around bollards (could be wrong).

Out of interest, where did you read that?

Ryanlion

Visit site
Likewise, never been a problem. Often do mention to the lockie on the way in that I'm solo, as if heading upstream can be fun to throw lines up that high, and they always assist.

I've always had bow & stern lines prepared, rather than being in a tangled mess. The only requirement for locks, I believe, are both lines around bollards (could be wrong).

Out of interest, where did you read that?

I did a google search and someone had said that a lock keeper on the Thames had moaned at them for being single handed (I think it might have even been on this forum some time ago).

it’s good to hear that the lock keepers are fine with solo boats going through locks, and I definitely haven’t got the confidence to go through somewhere like Teddington lock solo.

Chris_d

Visit site
I did a google search and someone had said that a lock keeper on the Thames had moaned at them for being single handed (I think it might have even been on this forum some time ago).

it’s good to hear that the lock keepers are fine with solo boats going through locks, and I definitely haven’t got the confidence to go through somewhere like Teddington lock solo.
Same as all above I've never had a problem, however one thing some lockies don't like is if you only use a centre line which makes solo easier, have seen narrowboats told off for this on several occasions.

Time Out

Visit site
Same. Never have an issue and I’m in a 17ft centre console open boat.

Long lines and line up with the steps. They often tell me to move up before they realise I need to climb up the steps first !

They can be slippery and a killer in white shorts ;)

Often operate them myself single handed too.

Apart from Tedd of course

Portland Billy

Visit site
They don't seem to mind so long as two lines are used. I often use a midships line together with a stern line, which means I can deploy both from the cockpit.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I've never had any problems from lock keepers in 30 years of single handing all sorts of boats from dinghies, narrow boats, barge and other boats the length of the non tidal Thames.
I usually decline the offer of help as have no problems doing it all myself but most keepers or assistants are happy to help if needed.

I wonder if you are referring to the centre line on narrow boats. The byelaws say secure both bow and stern lines when in lock. Some narrow boat owners have 'issues' and get into conflict with lock keepers who are just doing their job.

Just because it is normal to use a centre rope on the cut does not mean it is appropriate or allowed on the River.

Ryanlion

Visit site
I've never had any problems from lock keepers in 30 years of single handing all sorts of boats from dinghies, narrow boats, barge and other boats the length of the non tidal Thames.
I usually decline the offer of help as have no problems doing it all myself but most keepers or assistants are happy to help if needed.

I wonder if you are referring to the centre line on narrow boats. The byelaws say secure both bow and stern lines when in lock. Some narrow boat owners have 'issues' and get into conflict with lock keepers who are just doing their job.

Just because it is normal to use a centre rope on the cut does not mean it is appropriate or allowed on the River.

Perhaps it was someone who had a narrowboat on the Thames who had an issue with the lock keeper when they were single handed.

Thanks for all the replies and good to know that I wont have an issue with lock keepers when I’m solo (I don’t have a narrowboat?).

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
If you are single handing and want a Lockeeper to help with ropes (which 9/10 used to but understandably post-Covid maybe only 6/10 now do) this may sometimes involve a trade off between coming in on a 'preferred' side due to the handling of the boat (i.e; prop walk) and coming in on the side where the lockeeper is (which varies from lock to lock). If you indicate you are single handing and want rope assistance, then expect to be directed to the side where the Lockeeper is - even if your original plan was the other side!

Big John

Visit site
Most eagle eyed lock keepers/volunteers will see you are single handed and will always try to help you. What ever you do not turn your engine off untill you are secured just in case you have to assist in stopping the forward motion of your boat.

jct1981

Visit site
This might be very obvious and simple advice, but when I'm solo I always take a minute to coil the lines just before I'm leaving a lock, leaving them prepped and ready to hand to simply pick up and either pass or throw over a bollard at the following lock. Means I can enter the lock, stop the boat and everything is ready, and not in a rats nest of coils. Takes a few secs but it's overall a lot slicker, gives me and others the confidence that I know what I'm doing!

Really should take that approach more when I'm with the crew!!

The worst thing about going solo is there's no one to open your beer/pass a coffee/get you some cake :)