Gluing down solar panales

sgr143

Visit site
As I discovered when I stuck a bit of flooring in the wrong place, you can pull it up, but it destroyed my carefully shaped bit of flooring, as it probably would a solar panel. I don't think the bond is as strong as sikaflex that can rip up gelcoat. The glue layer is very thin, so if you were relaying new panels you could probably stick it straight over any residual glue.

I'm working on a solvent to get the sticky bit off my cockpit floor...
I had a look at the technical specification: https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/200mp.pdf. Page 16 seems to be the relevant one - lots of info on all the things the adhesive is resistant to, but nothing about how to get it off!

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
The 3M tape (as opposed to sheet) has a layer of foam in between each adhesive film.
If you only tape around the edges, you could cut through the foam with a flexible blade to remove the panel intact.
I am thinking of doing this but also sealing the edges with a bead of mastic.
But my panel is 1800mm X 900mm, quite a beast to get into place accurately if the tape is one shot only!

blush2

Visit site
We have a panel on the hatch garage. The original one was screwed down with sealant round the edges, but eventually water got underneath and black muck squirted out when it was walked on.

When we replaced it we put treadmaster down first and screwed the panel on top, no sealant, any water that gets underneath runs out again (the garage is slightly curved).

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks. I have now had a look at the fitting instructions (I'm an engineer, so this feels a bit dirty) and they recommend a diagonal cross of 3M tape, screws at the corners with enough room for thermal expansion and silicon sealant along the sides. We did some field trials today and when a panel is held down at the corners on either hatch garage or coachroof, the center of each side pops up by about 3 - 5mm. Not a huge amount, but enough to get wind under it and also rather more than I trust silicone sealant to hold, so I think a little bit more 3M tape will be in order.

stevie69p

Visit site
3M VHB tape is the bee's knees. I used it for attaching semi flexible panels on the wheel house roof of previous boat. You only get one chance to stick them down in the right place though!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Job now done. Bolts (hatch garage) and screws (coachroof) in the corners, 10mm 3M tape along the straight sides to stop them popping up. Looks very good and I have lots of amps surging into my batteries. The panels came with flat wires, which are also held down very neatly with 3M tape.

Many thanks for all the help and advice. and particular thanks to Dunx for suggesting the tape and to Angus McDoon for the amazingly sticky sample.