Glayva is on her way to Newport

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
As the Jester Challenge has no closing date, John is sailing to Newport on Glayva to finish what he started last year.
John doesn't have communication systems.
I hope that we will have some news from abroad.
Just have a glance to the met and a thought for them.
Eric
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
I second that!

I had a read of Johns account of his first attempt, and it was obviously a very rough trip. He showed great seamanship in keeping his mast standing after a serious rigging failure in very high winds.

He made a very interesting point that Galyva had no means of pumping the bilges when buttoned up, so he had to modify the loo! I've since realised that my own Challenger is also bereft of this ability, with my one (and currently only) bilge pump worked from the cockpit.

Plans are now afoot to have her pumped - with equal enthusiasm - from two locations, one in the cockpit, and one from a comfortable position below. A third, high-rate electric pump will allow me to contain any influx when my hands are needed elsewhere!

Fair winds John, and isn't it great to have a race with any number of restarts. It's not the winning, it's the taking part!

CPD

Visit site
i understand from recent emails that John has made it safely, albeit after two knock downs. Great news and well done !!!

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I had the pleasure to welcome John in Newport. He was fine. he had to refit the toilets that had get loos in a shock and to put a new wind indicator at top of the mast as the previous one was lost in a knokdown.
When I left on July the 20th he was preparing for a return trip via newscottia in an informal race with Sterenn.
He must be on his way back !
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
The loop is looped. Glayva arrived in Europe ( GB-land) on September the 2d.
John is a bit over-welmed with his family constraints (normal after a small break) but I'm certain that he will shear his experience soon.
Eric