Gin palaces

DWT

Visit site
I overheard a lockkeeper refer to my boat as a gin palace the other day. I must say I felt a little offended. I have a 1979 Broom 35 and whilst I accept that it is quite a large boat for the river, I always felt that at least the age kept it out of the gin palace category.

So a what point does a boat become a gin palace? Is it just related to size and does age make any difference?

Chris_d

Visit site
Oh thats definately a gin palace /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I first heard the phrase when I was a kid boating in the 70's, it was always directed towards Broom 35/37's.

Mines strictly a bacardi palace /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sarabande

Visit site
In view of the conspicuous consumption theme, would the refined Uno Hu drive a Malt Mansion ?

I am sure it's the Veblen effect at work....

Frontier

Visit site
Congratulations, you have "arrived" !!

I always thought one would need to have at least a £1m super yacht to be called a gin palace. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

byron

RIP
Visit site
I reckon Broom 35 owners should be penalised in boat handling competitions. The boat is so docile and easy to handle. When I had one I used to let the boat moor itself while I made myself a coffee.
Just said to it "go to that space over there and slot yourself alongside" the boat did the rest. My only complaint was that I had to do my own lines.

the_wanderer

Visit site
I think mine could be described as a firkin real ale barrel. She is only forteen foot long.

Plenty of gas in the morning though! Especially after a good curry. Anybody want to volunteer for crew?!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards.

Alan. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif