Gibraltar

syvictoria

Visit site
But Schengen is about freedom of movement across EU frontiers and zero trade controls

Schengen = no borders. EU = freedom of movement for people and goods.

From Wiki:

The Schengen Area ( /ˈʃɛŋən/) is an area comprising 26 European countries that have officially abolished all passport and all other types of border control at their mutual borders. The area mostly functions as a single jurisdiction for international travel purposes, with a common visa policy. The area is named after the 1985 Schengen Agreement signed in Schengen, Luxembourg.

The European Union (EU) is a political and economic union of 27 member states that are located primarily in Europe... The EU has developed an internal single market through a standardised system of laws that apply in all member states in those matters, and only those matters, where members have agreed to act as one. EU policies aim to ensure the free movement of people, goods, services and capital within the internal market; enact legislation in justice and home affairs; and maintain common policies on trade, agriculture, fisheries and regional development.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
You do not need to be a resident in a Gib to work there. That's why thousands cross the border every day. To work.

You are classed as a resident, just like most countries, if you spend more than 183 days there.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Pre-Brexit and when part of the EU, yes, but what about now? Surely a work permit must be required now?
Why, there is free movement across the border for Eu citizens now. Except, of course Gib is in a covid lockdown temporarily. But after that, the same people will be going backwards and forwards every day as always used to.

I've asked my friends who live there all these question, will get proper answers after covid and can post them here.

Hope that's sooner rather than later!

syvictoria

Visit site
Why, there is free movement across the border for Eu citizens now. Except, of course Gib is in a covid lockdown temporarily. But after that, the same people will be going backwards and forwards every day as always used to.

Just an assumption and genuine question on my part re: work permits. When Gib was part of the EU, EU citizens had an automatic right to work there. I assumed - quite possibly wrongly! - that as Gib is no longer in the EU, work permits would now be required, much like in the UK?

Travel, border crossings and the joining of Schengen are a separate matter.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thank you for posting that.. really interesting - will stop all that silly business of your patrol boat is in our territorial waters!!!
Amazing how pragmatic the Gibraltarians can be... I am amazed at this bit
The document discusses excise duties for “sensitive products” (tobacco, alcohol and fuel) and the need to adopt measures that will guarantee a level playing field and “ensure the traceability of tobacco products.” The document calls for administrative agreements between Spain and Gibraltar authorities to develop mutual cooperation in this area.
A big selling point of Gib was the Duty Free bit ....