Gibraltar

Seven Spades

Visit site
New has broken today that Gibraltar is about to join the Schengen area. This is going to mean that boat needing to checkout of the EU will have to go to North Africa or Montenegro instead. I don’t know if this has implications for their sale of tax free fuel.

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks, first I've heard about this. Cruising just got slightly harder for Brits.

So long as Cape Verde don't follow suit, that would really knacker my Atlantic Circuit.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
New shas broken today that Gibraltar is about to join the Schengen area. This is going to mean that boat needing to checkout of the EU will have to go to North Africa or Montenegro instead. I don’t know if this has implications for their sale of tax free fuel.
Don't get this. Isn't Schengen about free movement, no borders for citizens?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Regarding taxation:

The Spanish Government has withdrawn a legal action challenging the European Commission’s state aid decision accepting Gibraltar’s right to set its own taxes.

The decision to withdraw the action means the case has now been struck off by the European Court of Justice.

st599

Visit site
Don't get this. Isn't Schengen about free movement, no borders for citizens?
The RYA and CA have both told members that the way to get to the Med is to go to Gib, spend some time there doing any fixes nicely outside Schengen getting some clock time back, then proceed.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
New has broken today that Gibraltar is about to join the Schengen area. This is going to mean that boat needing to checkout of the EU will have to go to North Africa or Montenegro instead. I don’t know if this has implications for their sale of tax free fuel.
I don't follow. Gibraltar still won't be in the EU.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I don't get it either. With freedom of movement and if no inter-Schengen border checks, the cig smugglers will have a ball.
Seems odd that they are moving border checks to the airport and seaport. Where you always have to show your passport when landing, or clear small vessels in at a marina. Plus spending 4 million euros on the Spanish decide to improve the border. How will anyone from outside shengen be admitted without proving ID to a border guard?
No doubt the details will become clear in time......well once covid is put to bed.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I don't follow. Gibraltar still won't be in the EU.
Neither are several other members of Schengen - Norway and Switzerland spring to mind.
Although this arrangement is awkward for UK yachties, it seems a pragmatic solution for the Gibraltar residents.
Now, what might happen with the Channel Islands...
Or (tongue in cheek) Isle of Wight?

chrishscorp

Visit site
Gibralter massively voted to remain it supports the local Spanish economy and thousands of Spanish work in Gib so the easiest thing for them to do is enter the Schengen zone, so the Spanish dont need to show a passport to get into Gib but we Brits do... :rolleyes:

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Bet they will still have to show a residency card or ID of some sort.
I don't recall any border control between any other contiguous Schengen states so I doubt that there will be a check of any sort. Isn't that the point of Schengen? I'm not familiar with Gibraltar but I imagine whatever border control there is at present (with Spain) will be dismantled as the real border will now be on entry by air (or sea). Gibraltar may not remain in the EU but is now politically aligned with Europe rather than UK. Do they rely on the UK financially? If not I can see them opting for independence in the near future.

nortada

Visit site
I don't recall any border control between any other contiguous Schengen states so I doubt that there will be a check of any sort. Isn't that the point of Schengen? I'm not familiar with Gibraltar but I imagine whatever border control there is at present (with Spain) will be dismantled as the real border will now be on entry by air (or sea). Gibraltar may not remain in the EU but is now politically aligned with Europe rather than UK. Do they rely on the UK financially? If not I can see them opting for independence in the near future.

In all but name Gibraltar is already independent of the U.K.

It has always been agreed that Gibraltar can decide Gibraltar’s future so possibly they will demand a relationship similar to Northern Ireland.

Alternatively they could become a UN Protectorate❓

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Try this for the Spanish view:

Gibraltar to have border checks for UK arrivals, not for Spain, if deal is clinched

We lived there on and off for over 15 years so it interests me quite a lot. Managing and owning sailing schools meant clearing into gib weekly, if not more. Once it was digitalised it became easy but still time consuming. Suppose that if this deal goes through it would have meant only needing clearance when arriving back from Morocco......again, for me, most weeks. Not only in Gib but in othe marinas on the costa del sol.

Still, as Nortada mentions, for decades Gib has found its own way very successfully. With full compliance in its financial dealings with the rest of the world, which seems to confuse some people!

I wish them all the best in going forwards!