Ghost ship in our marina

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Yes, a private boat that has been given a light makeover to play the role of Teignmouth Electron. I crewed her for the first day of filming on Wednesday. Some people will be disappointed to know that Colin Firth (dripping wet or not) is not playing DC. The actor is Justin somebody.

I'm now told there are two (!) crowhurst biopics in production, and this is for a lower budget, firth-less production. All very confusing.....

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
I'm now told there are two (!) crowhurst biopics in production, and this is for a lower budget, firth-less production. All very confusing.....

I think that's right. The Colin Firth one is to be directed by James Marsh (according to the Grauniad). This one is directed by Simon Rumley. It's definitely lower budget, but I really hope they get the result they're aiming for.

laser45

Visit site
That's pathetic. It's not even a Piver Victress, and it's also tiny. The Electron was (is?) 40' LOA. How much would it have cost them to knock together a plywood hull? It didn't cost Crowhurst much... which, of course, was all part of the problem. If they can afford Colin Firth, surely their budget can't be that small?

Edit: didn't see the posts above, that makes more sense now.

jimmcgee

Visit site
just watched the film , felt sorry for the Guy , ok he got in over his head , but why did he not do what everyone else did and sink the boat and get rescued ??, no logs , no records . would have toped himself right enough later , but would have still made it to land.

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
just watched the film , felt sorry for the Guy , ok he got in over his head , but why did he not do what everyone else did and sink the boat and get rescued ??, no logs , no records . would have toped himself right enough later , but would have still made it to land.

I thought the same, but unfortunately suicides do not (in my experience) exhibit a great deal of rational thought.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I thought the same, but unfortunately suicides do not (in my experience) exhibit a great deal of rational thought.

If I recall correctly the Brit who would have come in second if he had not had to abandoned his boat on the home stretch also committed suicide a year or two after the race. As is says in the film, the human mind can be very fragile.

Richard

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If I recall correctly the Brit who would have come in second if he had not had to abandoned his boat on the home stretch also committed suicide a year or two after the race.

He was indeed found hanging from a tree, but as he was in generally good spirits and was found in lingerie, it seems more likely that he was, like so many of the teenage boys found hanging in their bedrooms, a victim of autoerotic asphyxiation rather than deliberate suicide.

Heritage Marine

Visit site
The only similarity is three hulls and a name apart from that it may as well be a bus.
It has nothing to do with the forthcoming film being produced by James Marsh who produced The Theory of Everything.
Wait and see how authentic the vessel for this film will be

ronsurf

Visit site
There are always limitations with films. Cost, availability and practicality. The boat design is likely to be compromised to allow a film crew to actually make the film. A lot of films have been made on 'replicas' that are often 2/3rds the size of the original. The Golden Hind is one.

I hope both films do well.

Other threads that may be of interest